Help! PowerTap computer mount contacts?? What are they called and what electronics stores sell them?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lkh, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Lkh

    Lkh Guest

    The contacts on my PowerTap handlebar mounting cradle are damaged (tried to unfold them a little
    more to make better contact, but one was brittle and broke).

    Does anyone know what these kind of contacts are called? They're crimp connectors, but they are kind
    of rolled-up into a springy contact. My local electronics store doesn't know where I might get
    replacement ones.

    Does anyone know the name/make of them, or have any ideas what I could use instead?

    Thanks in advance!

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "lkh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ewsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...
    > The contacts on my PowerTap handlebar mounting cradle are damaged (tried
    > unfold them a little more to make better contact, but one was brittle and broke).
    >
    > Does anyone know what these kind of contacts are called? They're crimp connectors, but they are
    > kind of rolled-up into a springy contact. My
    local
    > electronics store doesn't know where I might get replacement ones.
    >
    > Does anyone know the name/make of them, or have any ideas what I could use instead?

    Have you contacted Saris/Graber? They're usually quite helpful.

    www.graberproducts.com

  3. Lkh

    Lkh Guest

    Yes, unfortunately Graber just told me to buy a new receiver/mount kit and didn't answer my question
    about where i could buy new contacts to fix it myself. :-(

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "lkh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]p1-win.server.ntli.net...
    > > The contacts on my PowerTap handlebar mounting cradle are damaged (tried
    > > unfold them a little more to make better contact, but one was brittle
    and
    > > broke).
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what these kind of contacts are called? They're crimp connectors, but they are
    > > kind of rolled-up into a springy contact. My
    > local
    > > electronics store doesn't know where I might get replacement ones.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the name/make of them, or have any ideas what I could
    use
    > > instead?
    >
    > Have you contacted Saris/Graber? They're usually quite helpful.
    >
    > www.graberproducts.com
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  4. Dlw

    Dlw Guest

    The actual contacts are Molex # 08-55-0110. You can get similar one from Digi-Key # WM2312-ND. You
    will need to get the crimp tool also unless you are real handy. Good Luck

    "lkh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Yes, unfortunately Graber just told me to buy a new receiver/mount kit and didn't answer my
    > question about where i could buy new contacts to fix it myself. :-(
    >

    > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "lkh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > The contacts on my PowerTap handlebar mounting cradle are damaged
    (tried
    > > > unfold them a little more to make better contact, but one was brittle
    > and
    > > > broke).
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know what these kind of contacts are called? They're crimp connectors, but they
    > > > are kind of rolled-up into a springy contact. My
    > > local
    > > > electronics store doesn't know where I might get replacement ones.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know the name/make of them, or have any ideas what I could
    > use
    > > > instead?
    > >
    > > Have you contacted Saris/Graber? They're usually quite helpful.
    > >
    > > www.graberproducts.com
    > >
    > > --
    > > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  5. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    I found them in a real electronic repair store as opposed to a "Tandy" or "Dick Smith" (Australian)
    shop. The crimp tool is not necessary. Just be careful using long nosed pliers. The most important
    thing is to strip back the cable the correct length. Mine has worked fine now for 12 months after
    replacing the contacts.

    Peter

    "DLW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The actual contacts are Molex # 08-55-0110. You can get similar one from Digi-Key # WM2312-ND. You
    > will need to get the crimp tool also unless you are real handy. Good Luck
    >
    > "lkh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > > Yes, unfortunately Graber just told me to buy a new receiver/mount kit
    and
    > > didn't answer my question about where i could buy new contacts to fix it myself. :-(
    > >

    > > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "lkh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > (tried
    > > and

    My
    > > > local

    > > use
    > > >
    > > > Have you contacted Saris/Graber? They're usually quite helpful.
    > > >
    > > > www.graberproducts.com
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  6. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    If you really cant find the contacts send me your address and I'll post them to you from Australia.
    The contacts are easy to replace. Just strip the wire the correct length, crimp the contacts (pliars
    will do) and push into place. I think I paid $A2 for about 20 contacts

    Peter

    "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Yes, unfortunately Graber just told me to buy a new receiver/mount kit
    and
    > >didn't answer my question about where i could buy new contacts to fix it myself. :-(
    >
    > Usually fixing contacts is a bit of a job, first removing them with
    whatever
    > trick is required and then finding the right part and finally reinstalling
    the
    > thing so it actually works. While the contacts themselves are not potted, nearby the harness is
    > potted into the mount, looks like it would be tricky without the right tool. With repairs at this
    > level you are probably on
    your