help riding backwards!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Mr Plasmaman, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Mr Plasmaman

    Mr Plasmaman Guest

    All you people out there are saying that you can ride for miles backwards. I
    can only get a few feet. I would appreciate some tips from you people.

    Tags:

  2. unitrialser

    unitrialser Guest

    Just keep practicing, and don't give up. I hated learning backwards so
    I gave up alot, and I regret it because I can do it now, but not very
    well. So try not to get too discouraged. You'll be a master in no
    time.

    --
    unitrialser - Team Hazard

    Mindless Films
    http://www.geocities.com/mindless_films

    "Pink is the new black." -- Jess Riegal's Helmet
    unitrialser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8794

  3. fcwegnm0b

    fcwegnm0b Guest

    You should check out the tips on Andrew Carter's site:
    http://tinyurl.com/52k6o

    The way I learned was just to hold onto something, lean back and pedal.
    Don't look behind you, hold your arms out for balance, and take it nice
    and easy. Try to focus on a point on the ground about 10 feet in front
    of you, and when that gets too far away, pick another point in front of
    you. Just keep doing it, and you'll get better!

    Dave

    --
    fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

    I caught you a delicious bass.
    fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

  4. steve0we

    steve0we Guest

    personally, I found that the better I got at idling, the easier it was
    to ride backwards. I worked on rolling backwards for a crank or two,
    the forwards. Them backwards a little further...etc. now I feel pretty
    comfortable!

    Try, Try,Try again...... good luck

    --
    steve0we - Just removed training wheel!

    This is Wheelie Wheelie FUN!
    steve0we's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8643

  5. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    If you know how to idle, just a few times is enough, you can stay idle,
    start riding backwards 1 revolution, and go to ideling 1 time, and then
    go backwards again, that's how i learned it, but i'm not a master yet,
    or.. not in the snow and ice outside that is :D

    --
    lleberg - Level 4 unicyclist

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  6. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    I have to thread-jack this.

    How can i learn to turn while riding backwards? It seems i allways end
    up facing forward or it is some rodeo riding involved.

    --

  7. fcwegnm0b wrote:
    > *You should check out the tips on Andrew Carter's site*

    ...Andrew Carter's and Peter van Boekhout's site.

    Thanks. :)

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Unicycling because it's really fun!

    carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    *'My big movie (51MB, DivX)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

  8. steve0we

    steve0we Guest

    personally, I found that the better I got at idling, the easier it was
    to ride backwards. I worked on rolling backwards for a crank or two,
    the forwards. Them backwards a little further...etc. now I feel pretty
    comfortable!

    Try, Try,Try again...... good luck

    --
    steve0we - Just removed training wheel!

    This is Wheelie Wheelie FUN!
    steve0we's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8643

  9. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    Mr Plasmaman wrote:
    > *All you people out there are saying that you can ride for miles
    > backwards. I
    > can only get a few feet. I would appreciate some tips from you people.
    > *

    It's -exactly- like learning to ride forwards. At first you could only
    do that a few feet, but now you can do it forever without thinking. Keep
    practicing, if you can't go continuously yet, then do it next to a wall
    to get the feeling before you try doing it on your own.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  10. harper

    harper Guest

    Remember to keep your weight on the seat, LIKE ALWAYS. Know what is
    behind you when you're learning and look in front of you. I look off
    into the distance or much further than the 10 feet cited earlier. Try
    not to chicken out but fall off instead. This is harder to make your
    brain do when you're riding backwards but, like all riding, you
    encounter more corrections each ride and learn faster. It's just scarier
    going backwards.

    --
    harper - Riding a Fat

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Sometimes you choose wrong." - Greg Harper

    "People who quote themselves are lame." - David Lowell

    "I think I just broke my leg." - Greg Harper, 10/9/2004

  11. I would say don't bother with it for now. Unless you are a freestyle
    freak, wait until you get better in general. I didn't practice backwards
    much in the beginning, since it was frustrating, and I feel backwards
    onto my wrists and tailbone a few times. A few months later when I was
    better at general balance I tried again and it came easily.

    Another thing I found helpful is riding backwards uphill. This keeps you
    from getting out of control. Also it allows you to keep more pressure on
    the pedals (control the wheel better) without swiveling all over the
    place.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Fo'shizzle, ma nizzle

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

    AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
    Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
    MSN:TheObieOne[email protected]

    disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

    Nick, Joe, Tim, Jim, Nick, Eric, Trip, Mike, Bevan, Sabin, Owen, Jagur,
    Brian, Michael, Pete, Evan, Andrew, Justin, Kyle, Dave, Kevin, and Laura
    are my main man.

  12. start with 1/2 pedal backwards then 1, then 1 1/2, then 2 and so on, but
    make sure u can stop and go forwards again and that u don't fall off.
    and don't get too frustrated cuz i did and it doesn't work too well

    --
    revengeofthemole - GooedRevenge

    ur talkin to the still stand masta
    revengeofthemole's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8220

  13. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Here's a past thread on learning backwards riding: 'Backwards Tips'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6jeb7). The thread drifts a big, but does have some
    good ideas and comments.

    I like the super-idle method that I mention in that thread. I consider
    it the controlled way to learn how to ride backwards.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  14. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "harper" <[email protected]> writes:

    > It's just scarier going backwards.

    Not just scarier - riskier, too! It can be harder to maintain balance
    during a backwards UPD. So far, I've hit both elbows hard enough that
    my table manners improved (no elbows on the table when doing so hurts
    like hell) and came within an inch or two of whacking my skull on the
    corner of a curb when hitting a twig send me flying backwards.

    The bottom line is wear armor, including elbow pads and helmet, for
    backwards practice. At least if you are in injury magnet like.

    Ken

  15. jsm

    jsm Guest

    > I would say don't bother with it for now. Unless you are a freestyle
    > freak, wait until you get better in general.

    Nah. Backwards riding is lots of fun and pretty easy, although its a
    little frustrating at first. Unless you're a trials freak, go for it!

    --
    jsm - Freestyle below Freezing!

    jsm to BMX posers: "So, what do you do with the extra wheel?"
    BMX poser: "Uhhh...., I dunno."

    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  16. reidj

    reidj Guest

  17. Gary.Kelsall

    Gary.Kelsall Guest

    Learning to idle with my 'wrong' foot helped me with riding backwards -
    it helps you to recover when your feet aren't quite in the right spot.
    I'm no expert at riding backwards, but learning to wrong foot idle has
    certainly helped me get to the point where I can now ride backwards
    across a room, or if I falter I can now recover (usually) and ride
    forwards enough to have another go.

    Practising is rather important too, but I won't patronise you by
    mentioning it...

    Gary

    --
    Gary.Kelsall - One of the BJC 2004 organisers
    Gary.Kelsall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5847

  18. Sigurd

    Sigurd Guest

    Gary.Kelsall wrote:
    > *Learning to idle with my 'wrong' foot helped me with riding backwards
    > - it helps you to recover when your feet aren't quite in the right
    > spot. I'm no expert at riding backwards, but learning to wrong foot
    > idle has certainly helped me get to the point where I can now ride
    > backwards across a room, or if I falter I can now recover (usually)
    > and ride forwards enough to have another go.
    >
    > Practising is rather important too, but I won't patronise you by
    > mentioning it...
    >
    > Gary *

    I agree. I idle with my right, but learning backwards makes you learn
    to idle on your weak foot too for recovery. Basically what he ^ said.
    :D

    I didn't learn on a wall. Just go for it. Half or one revolution at a
    time. And the only time I fell on my butt was when I was practicing
    backwards, and my shoelace got wrapped around the pedal axle. And of
    course, a university tour group was walking past just as that happened.
    Go figure....

    --
    Sigurd - Street/trials unicyclist....kinda
    Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801