help riding backwards!

Mr Plasmaman

Guest
All you people out there are saying that you can ride for miles backwards. I
can only get a few feet. I would appreciate some tips from you people.

Just keep practicing, and don't give up. I hated learning backwards so
I gave up alot, and I regret it because I can do it now, but not very
well. So try not to get too discouraged. You'll be a master in no
time.

--
unitrialser - Team Hazard

Mindless Films
http://www.geocities.com/mindless_films

"Pink is the new black." -- Jess Riegal's Helmet
unitrialser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8794

You should check out the tips on Andrew Carter's site:
http://tinyurl.com/52k6o

The way I learned was just to hold onto something, lean back and pedal.
Don't look behind you, hold your arms out for balance, and take it nice
and easy. Try to focus on a point on the ground about 10 feet in front
of you, and when that gets too far away, pick another point in front of
you. Just keep doing it, and you'll get better!

Dave

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

I caught you a delicious bass.
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

personally, I found that the better I got at idling, the easier it was
to ride backwards. I worked on rolling backwards for a crank or two,
the forwards. Them backwards a little further...etc. now I feel pretty
comfortable!

Try, Try,Try again...... good luck

--
steve0we - Just removed training wheel!

This is Wheelie Wheelie FUN!
steve0we's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8643

If you know how to idle, just a few times is enough, you can stay idle,
start riding backwards 1 revolution, and go to ideling 1 time, and then
go backwards again, that's how i learned it, but i'm not a master yet,
or.. not in the snow and ice outside that is :D

--
lleberg - Level 4 unicyclist

I <3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

fcwegnm0b wrote:
> *You should check out the tips on Andrew Carter's site*

...Andrew Carter's and Peter van Boekhout's site.

Thanks. :)

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Unicycling because it's really fun!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'My big movie (51MB, DivX)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

Mr Plasmaman wrote:
> *All you people out there are saying that you can ride for miles
> backwards. I
> can only get a few feet. I would appreciate some tips from you people.
> *

It's -exactly- like learning to ride forwards. At first you could only
do that a few feet, but now you can do it forever without thinking. Keep
practicing, if you can't go continuously yet, then do it next to a wall
to get the feeling before you try doing it on your own.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Remember to keep your weight on the seat, LIKE ALWAYS. Know what is
behind you when you're learning and look in front of you. I look off
into the distance or much further than the 10 feet cited earlier. Try
not to chicken out but fall off instead. This is harder to make your
brain do when you're riding backwards but, like all riding, you
encounter more corrections each ride and learn faster. It's just scarier
going backwards.

--
harper - Riding a Fat

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

"Sometimes you choose wrong." - Greg Harper

"People who quote themselves are lame." - David Lowell

"I think I just broke my leg." - Greg Harper, 10/9/2004

I would say don't bother with it for now. Unless you are a freestyle
freak, wait until you get better in general. I didn't practice backwards
much in the beginning, since it was frustrating, and I feel backwards
onto my wrists and tailbone a few times. A few months later when I was
better at general balance I tried again and it came easily.

Another thing I found helpful is riding backwards uphill. This keeps you
from getting out of control. Also it allows you to keep more pressure on
the pedals (control the wheel better) without swiveling all over the
place.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Fo'shizzle, ma nizzle

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
MSN:[email protected]

disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

Nick, Joe, Tim, Jim, Nick, Eric, Trip, Mike, Bevan, Sabin, Owen, Jagur,
Brian, Michael, Pete, Evan, Andrew, Justin, Kyle, Dave, Kevin, and Laura
are my main man.

start with 1/2 pedal backwards then 1, then 1 1/2, then 2 and so on, but
make sure u can stop and go forwards again and that u don't fall off.
and don't get too frustrated cuz i did and it doesn't work too well

--
revengeofthemole - GooedRevenge

ur talkin to the still stand masta
revengeofthemole's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8220

Here's a past thread on learning backwards riding: 'Backwards Tips'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jeb7). The thread drifts a big, but does have some
good ideas and comments.

I like the super-idle method that I mention in that thread. I consider
it the controlled way to learn how to ride backwards.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

"harper" <[email protected]> writes:

> It's just scarier going backwards.

Not just scarier - riskier, too! It can be harder to maintain balance
during a backwards UPD. So far, I've hit both elbows hard enough that
my table manners improved (no elbows on the table when doing so hurts
like hell) and came within an inch or two of whacking my skull on the
corner of a curb when hitting a twig send me flying backwards.

The bottom line is wear armor, including elbow pads and helmet, for
backwards practice. At least if you are in injury magnet like.

Ken

> I would say don't bother with it for now. Unless you are a freestyle
> freak, wait until you get better in general.

Nah. Backwards riding is lots of fun and pretty easy, although its a
little frustrating at first. Unless you're a trials freak, go for it!

--
jsm - Freestyle below Freezing!

jsm to BMX posers: "So, what do you do with the extra wheel?"
BMX poser: "Uhhh...., I dunno."

jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Learning to idle with my 'wrong' foot helped me with riding backwards -
it helps you to recover when your feet aren't quite in the right spot.
I'm no expert at riding backwards, but learning to wrong foot idle has
certainly helped me get to the point where I can now ride backwards
across a room, or if I falter I can now recover (usually) and ride
forwards enough to have another go.

Practising is rather important too, but I won't patronise you by
mentioning it...

Gary

--
Gary.Kelsall - One of the BJC 2004 organisers
Gary.Kelsall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5847

Gary.Kelsall wrote:
> *Learning to idle with my 'wrong' foot helped me with riding backwards
> - it helps you to recover when your feet aren't quite in the right
> spot. I'm no expert at riding backwards, but learning to wrong foot
> idle has certainly helped me get to the point where I can now ride
> backwards across a room, or if I falter I can now recover (usually)
> and ride forwards enough to have another go.
>
> Practising is rather important too, but I won't patronise you by
> mentioning it...
>
> Gary *

I agree. I idle with my right, but learning backwards makes you learn
to idle on your weak foot too for recovery. Basically what he ^ said.
:D

I didn't learn on a wall. Just go for it. Half or one revolution at a
time. And the only time I fell on my butt was when I was practicing
backwards, and my shoelace got wrapped around the pedal axle. And of
course, a university tour group was walking past just as that happened.
Go figure....

--
Sigurd - Street/trials unicyclist....kinda
Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801