Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Help!! What size bike is best?

Started by davie_gillie · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,817 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 September 2005
Last activity
19 September 2005
Original author
davie_gillie
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,817
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am about to purchase my first road bike, and have am veru confused over what size I should look at. I am 6 ft tall and have been directed to several different sizes. The bike i am interested in purchasing is on sale, but is 54 cm, the owner feels this is big enough, is this only a sales pitch? What sizes of bike fit heights of people? Thanks very much... By the way, the bike is an Orbea, any suggestions?

  2. 54 will be too small. Go to another shop and get measured.

  3. I agree. I am 5'4" and I ride a 52 or 54. You should be looking at something more in the 56-58 range.

  4. I'm 6' 3" and I ride a 60cm frame. One shop (not the one I bought it from) fitted me for a 60cm or 63cm frame. I would say the 54 is wayy to small.

    -Matt

  5. mattjf said:

    I'm 6' 3" and I ride a 60cm frame. One shop (not the one I bought it from) fitted me for a 60cm or 63cm frame. I would say the 54 is wayy to small.

    -Matt


    One more for the pile on; I'm 5'8" and ride a 54cm. For you to ride such a bike you'd have to have 12" of seatpost showing.

  6. 5'11" is about the absolute limit for a 54cm frame but it depends on your shape and riding style, the frame's geometry and the exactly what you are using it for. You are more likely to need a frame around 56cm. Don't listen to sales people too much, particularly if it looks like they are keen to off-load the bike they have on the floor at the time or whatever is "on special."

    Get measured if you can. Even if you aren't getting a custom frame you need to know your optimum so you can make a better choice of what there is.

    Good Luck Jay.

  7. yeah... i'd get measured again for sure. i have a 30-31 inch inseam, 5' 10" or so and I ride as comfortably as naptime on a 54cm.

  8. www.wrenchscience.com

  9. Go here to get a ballpark fit ...before you buy.

    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

  10. Thanks alot for all the advice, I will definately get measured again and look somewhere else... 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.