UK and Europe · Public discussion

help with a route thru london

Started by mighty quinn · · Last activity · 8 posts · 374 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 May 2006
Last activity
14 May 2006
Original author
mighty quinn
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
374
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am planning to cycle from Watford to the City(Liverpool Street) each
    day. Can anyone suggest a route that is farily safe?

    Thanks,

    Gareth

  2. "mighty quinn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I am planning to cycle from Watford to the City(Liverpool
    Street) each day. Can anyone suggest a route that is farily safe?

    http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

    Click the "more options" link and then select "Cycle Only Route" and set the
    cycle time to 600 minutes. The route chosen is designed to use quiet roads
    and towpaths where possible, although I am not impressed with all of it. I
    believe there is a cycle route running from Paddington to Liverpool Street
    called Route 0 or The Seven Stations Link which would be better for the last
    part of the route.

  3. Jim Price <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    Mind you, many places are safe to cycle through compared to Harlesden.

    I cycled through Harlesden most days for three years with no hassle...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  4. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Jim Price <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    Mind you, many places are safe to cycle through compared to Harlesden.

    I cycled through Harlesden most days for three years with no hassle...

    I cycled through Harlesden most days for a year. The only hassle I had
    was the time both brake cables snapped as I was braking hard for an
    occupied zebra crossing..

    ...d

  5. mighty quinn said:

    I am planning to cycle from Watford to the City(Liverpool Street) each
    day. Can anyone suggest a route that is farily safe?

    I sometimes drive from Watford down to Docklands.
    There is a cycle path along the A41 as I remember, and not some grotty
    shared-use pavement.
    I would not steer away from the main routes for this journey - try the A41
    and this cycle path.
    (Apologies if I have the number wrong - I mean the main A road which
    parallels the M1)

  6. For routes go to www.tfl.gov.uk, click on Cycles and then on Cycle routes.
    You can order maps for free for your area.

    --
    Vivian
    -------
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
    No Surrender

    "mighty quinn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am planning to cycle from Watford to the City(Liverpool Street) each
    day. Can anyone suggest a route that is farily safe?

    Thanks,

    Gareth

  7. John Hearns <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:41:40 -0700, mighty quinn wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am planning to cycle from Watford to the City(Liverpool Street) each
    day. Can anyone suggest a route that is farily safe?

    Quoted message said:

    I sometimes drive from Watford down to Docklands.
    There is a cycle path along the A41 as I remember, and not some grotty
    shared-use pavement.
    I would not steer away from the main routes for this journey - try the A41
    and this cycle path.
    (Apologies if I have the number wrong - I mean the main A road which
    parallels the M1)

    The A41 has some very grotty shared-use pavement through Edgware & Mill Hill.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  8. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    John Hearns <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:41:40 -0700, mighty quinn wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am planning to cycle from Watford to the City(Liverpool Street)
    each day. Can anyone suggest a route that is farily safe?

    Quoted message said:

    I sometimes drive from Watford down to Docklands.
    There is a cycle path along the A41 as I remember, and not some
    grotty shared-use pavement.
    I would not steer away from the main routes for this journey - try
    the A41 and this cycle path.
    (Apologies if I have the number wrong - I mean the main A road which
    parallels the M1)

    The A41 has some very grotty shared-use pavement through Edgware &
    Mill Hill.

    For such a mega-commute, surely cycling on the actual dual carriageways
    has to be considered to save a lot time and energy? At least when/where
    there are no traffic jams, fewer junctions, flatter routes, better surface
    and draft from cars make for efficient cycling.

    I always wonder how much more dangerous dual carriageways /really/ are to
    cycle on than smaller roads, taking into account the smaller number of
    junctions and certain other hazzards. (Probably not a high enough sample
    rate to be sure).

    Personally, I don't mind cycling on the A41 when it's down hill and the
    wind is behind :-)

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.