Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Help with downtube barrel adjusters?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 698 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 July 2005
Last activity
12 July 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
698
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Cinelli aluminum frame (Starlight) that doesn't have
    traditional posts on the downtube for shift levers. Instead there
    are little doo-dads riveted to the downtube that are threaded
    to take barrel adjusters. A picture of what I'm talking about
    can be seen here:

    http://www.bikeimperium.de/images/_id992/alianteCarve_g3.jpg

    The problem is that both of the doo-dads are somewhat stripped
    and it is affecting shifting performance a bit because the spring
    loaded adjusters move around. I don't need an adjuster on the
    right since the rear derailleur has one, so is there something
    I can attach to the doo-dad to act as a cable housing stop? If
    not perhaps I'll just JB Weld a housing cap in there.

    Speaking of JB Weld, could I just fill the doo-dad with it,
    and then drill/tap new threads and put the barrel adjuster
    back in? Does anyone think that would work?

    It would be nice to keep an adjuster on the left side, I find
    it a bit easier to get a shimano sti working properly.

    Thanks for any and all suggestions,

    -JakeS

  2. [email hidden] w

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Cinelli aluminum frame (Starlight) that doesn't have
    traditional posts on the downtube for shift levers. Instead there
    are little doo-dads riveted to the downtube that are threaded
    to take barrel adjusters. A picture of what I'm talking about
    can be seen here:

    http://www.bikeimperium.de/images/_id992/alianteCarve_g3.jpg

    The problem is that both of the doo-dads are somewhat stripped
    and it is affecting shifting performance a bit because the spring
    loaded adjusters move around. I don't need an adjuster on the
    right since the rear derailleur has one, so is there something
    I can attach to the doo-dad to act as a cable housing stop? If
    not perhaps I'll just JB Weld a housing cap in there.

    Speaking of JB Weld, could I just fill the doo-dad with it,
    and then drill/tap new threads and put the barrel adjuster
    back in? Does anyone think that would work?

    It would be nice to keep an adjuster on the left side, I find
    it a bit easier to get a shimano sti working properly.

    Thanks for any and all suggestions,

    -JakeS

    It looks like a cable end cap will fit. If it is too small, wrap a bit
    of tape about it. You don't really need either of them. Just pull the
    front derailleur cable tight, secure the screw finger tight, and test
    it. If the derailleur doesn't move immediately, tighten it some more.
    When it is tight enough, torque the screw to the proper tightness.

    Are the doo-dads moving because you have cut the cables too short?

    --
    Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
    ECHIP, Inc. ---
    Randomness comes in bunches.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip)could I just fill the doo-dad with it,
    and then drill/tap new threads and put the barrel adjuster back in? Does
    anyone think that would work?(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That would work, but there is an easier way. Loc-tite and Permatex both
    make kits for this purpose. You spray the male thread with a release agent,
    and fill the stripped thread with a two-part epoxy material. You assemble
    the male and female and wait for it to cure. You can now turn the threaded
    adjuster in the plastic threads you just made. I've done it--it works.

  4. Drill it out and put in a new aluminum "threaded insert"...provided the
    insert tool you buy doesn't need more clearance than the frame yields.
    A metric kit should be about $25 and will give you lots of inserts for
    those other stripped threads you have elsewhere

  5. "bob" wrote: (clip)...provided the insert tool you buy doesn't need more
    clearance than the frame yields.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The drill is likely to require more room than the insert tool.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I have a Cinelli aluminum frame (Starlight) that doesn't have
    traditional posts on the downtube for shift levers. Instead there
    are little doo-dads riveted to the downtube that are threaded
    to take barrel adjusters. A picture of what I'm talking about
    can be seen here:

    http://www.bikeimperium.de/images/_id992/alianteCarve_g3.jpg

    The problem is that both of the doo-dads are somewhat stripped
    and it is affecting shifting performance a bit because the spring
    loaded adjusters move around. I don't need an adjuster on the
    right since the rear derailleur has one, so is there something
    I can attach to the doo-dad to act as a cable housing stop? If
    not perhaps I'll just JB Weld a housing cap in there.

    Speaking of JB Weld, could I just fill the doo-dad with it,
    and then drill/tap new threads and put the barrel adjuster
    back in? Does anyone think that would work?

    It would be nice to keep an adjuster on the left side, I find
    it a bit easier to get a shimano sti working properly.

    There are sleeved adjusters which would slide into your
    stops if you drilled out the rest of your damaged threads.
    Second photo upper right:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/hanger.html

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.