Help with spoke length?

I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
predictably, where I'm hung up.

I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
need spokes that are 286.6mm.

So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

On Oct 30, 12:50 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
> couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
> mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
> pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
> predictably, where I'm hung up.
>
> I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
> considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
> taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
> his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
> hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
> can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
> then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
> www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
> need spokes that are 286.6mm.

323mm sounds very long, but 286 is a longish but normal length. I'd
plug those numbers into spocalc just to make sure.

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

> So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
> I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
> any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
> 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

Or Sapim Race/Laser.

http://www.thorusa.com/product10.htm

All good stuff, but the Sapims are a bit cheaper I think.

On Oct 30, 10:50 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
> couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
> mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
> pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
> predictably, where I'm hung up.
>
> I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
> considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
> taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
> his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
> hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
> can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
> then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
> www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
> need spokes that are 286.6mm.
>
> So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
> I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
> any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
> 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan

Round down. You'll still have plenty of thread engagement, and you'll
neither bottom out, nor have spoke extending past the nipple.

As for measurement, make sure when using SpoCalc (Damon Rinard's tool
posted at Sheldon's site) that you have the correct spoke count. I
think the latest copies posted have the default set to 24h.

On Oct 30, 2:07 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 12:50 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
> > couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
> > mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
> > pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
> > predictably, where I'm hung up.

> > I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> > had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
> > considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
> > taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
> > his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
> > hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
> > can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
> > then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
> > www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
> > need spokes that are 286.6mm.

> 323mm sounds very long, but 286 is a longish but normal length. I'd
> plug those numbers into spocalc just to make sure.
>
> http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

Thanks. To be sure I suppose the smart thing to do is to double-check
Sheldon's #'s against actual measurments of what I have. I'll have to
check tonight.

> > So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
> > I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
> > any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
> > 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

> Or Sapim Race/Laser.
>
> http://www.thorusa.com/product10.htm
>
> All good stuff, but the Sapims are a bit cheaper I think.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to keep this inexpensive, so I'll
certainly consider those.

On Oct 30, 2:10 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 10:50 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
> > couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
> > mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
> > pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
> > predictably, where I'm hung up.

> > I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> > had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
> > considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
> > taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
> > his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
> > hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
> > can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
> > then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
> > www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
> > need spokes that are 286.6mm.

> > So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
> > I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
> > any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
> > 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Dan

> Round down. You'll still have plenty of thread engagement, and you'll
> neither bottom out, nor have spoke extending past the nipple.
>
> As for measurement, make sure when using SpoCalc (Damon Rinard's tool
> posted at Sheldon's site) that you have the correct spoke count. I
> think the latest copies posted have the default set to 24h.

Thanks much. I'm pretty sure I did set it to 36H, but I'll try again
to be sure. Since I seem to have left that part out, I will be
building them as 36 spoke. I toe the clydesdale line & this bike
(along with all my bikes) goes over curbs, bumps and sometimes trails.

On Oct 30, 2:10 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> As for measurement, make sure when using SpoCalc (Damon Rinard's tool
> posted at Sheldon's site) that you have the correct spoke count. I
> think the latest copies posted have the default set to 24h.

That was the culprit! I just changed the spoke count to 36 & got
286.6, same as from bikeschool.com. Now I have to decide if I order
the spokes now or wait and physically verify my measurements tonight
before ordering. I think I might wait, it's better to be sure.

I assume a 286mm spoke is my best bet?

On Oct 30, 1:41 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2:10 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > As for measurement, make sure when using SpoCalc (Damon Rinard's tool
> > posted at Sheldon's site) that you have the correct spoke count. I
> > think the latest copies posted have the default set to 24h.

> That was the culprit! I just changed the spoke count to 36 & got
> 286.6, same as from bikeschool.com. Now I have to decide if I order
> the spokes now or wait and physically verify my measurements tonight
> before ordering. I think I might wait, it's better to be sure.
>
> I assume a 286mm spoke is my best bet?

Yup. half a millimeter ain't squat. I plugged your rims into spocalc
with Phil large flange hubs and got 287--so you're probably right on
the money.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
> couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
> mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
> pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
> predictably, where I'm hung up.
>
> I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
> considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
> taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
> his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
> hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
> can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
> then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
> www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
> need spokes that are 286.6mm.
>
> So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
> I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
> any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
> 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

323 is clearly wrong.
Unfamiliar with your hub but somewhere around 286 ~288 is reasonable for
a 32h 3x CPX10. No, I did not calc that.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:50:41 -0000, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
>couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
>mavic

CXP10 (ERD 601/SPOCALC)

<http://www.dtswiss.com/spokescalc/welcome.aspx?language=en>

>www,bikeschool.com calculator.

<http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/> IF YOU CLICK ON THE SMALL ? MARKS,
YOU WILL LEARN IT'S PRETTY EASY TO MEASURE THE HUB DIMENSIONS

According to their calculator, I'll
>need spokes that are 286.6mm.
>
>So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
>I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
>any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
>14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

PARDON THAT I'VE RUDELY INSERTED ANSWERS IN THE ORIGINAL POST

I don't think it matters whether you round up or down. The DT Swiss
calculator makes a decision for you. There are long threads about
where to get spokes. For a single wheel, your LBS is likely best.
2.0/1.8 is aOK. If you must use thinner spokes, 1.8/1.6 is great and
they won't twist as easilly as the 2.0/1.7

Paul Kopit wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:50:41 -0000, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
>> couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
>> mavic

> CXP10 (ERD 601/SPOCALC)
>
> rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
>> pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
>> predictably, where I'm hung up.
>>

>> I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators

> <http://www.dtswiss.com/spokescalc/welcome.aspx?language=en>
>

>> www,bikeschool.com calculator.

> <http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/> IF YOU CLICK ON THE SMALL ? MARKS,
> YOU WILL LEARN IT'S PRETTY EASY TO MEASURE THE HUB DIMENSIONS
>
> According to their calculator, I'll
>> need spokes that are 286.6mm.
>>
>> So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
>> I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
>> any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
>> 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

> PARDON THAT I'VE RUDELY INSERTED ANSWERS IN THE ORIGINAL POST
>
> I don't think it matters whether you round up or down. The DT Swiss
> calculator makes a decision for you. There are long threads about
> where to get spokes. For a single wheel, your LBS is likely best.
> 2.0/1.8 is aOK. If you must use thinner spokes, 1.8/1.6 is great and
> they won't twist as easilly as the 2.0/1.7

won't twist as easily as 2.0/1.5. 1.7 is wider than 1.6 and therefore
[slightly] more twist resistant.

In article
<[email protected]>
,

> I'm going to be building up my first wheel over the course of the next
> couple weeks. I already have an IRO high flange fixed/free hub and a
> mavic CXP10 rim, so I plan to use them. I plan to use the normal 3x
> pattern, brass nipples, and DB stainless spokes. The spokes are,
> predictably, where I'm hung up.
>
> I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's. I
> considered this a blessing, as Sheldon's site has saved my butt and
> taught me what's what on more than a couple occasions. According to
> his calculator and database, if I'm using it properly, for my rim &
> hub I'll want 323.3mm spokes. This is somewhat troublesome, since I
> can't seem to find spokes that long anywhere. Just for giggles, I
> then plugged the numbers from Sheldon's database & calculator into the
> www,bikeschool.com calculator. According to their calculator, I'll
> need spokes that are 286.6mm.
>
> So, which (if either) number is correct? Also, once I get that #, do
> I want to round up or down when picking a spoke? Lastly, anyone have
> any suggestions on a source for the spokes? I'm not sure if I want
> 14/15/14 or 14/17/14, and don't know if I want wheelsmith or DT Swiss.

Measure the hub and the rim,
then enter those numbers into various calculators.
Instructions for how to measure are on
hmmmm, let me see, ....

oh yes, Sherman Brouwer's site.

--
Michael Press

That is WAY too long. Even for triple cross.

> I hit up quite a few online spoke calculators, and the only one that
> had the rim & hub I want to use in the database was Sheldon's.

Just go to a shop and use the DT Swiss spoke calc chart. It takes a
bit longer, but it works every time and will give you the correct
length. You can also ask them to do it for you and it will cost $5