Help with static vs apparent mass of rotating wheel

On Nov 27, 12:58 am, [email protected] wrote:

> Carve weight off a wheel, and the wind drag goes up.
>
> Reduce the wheel's wind drag, and the weight rises.
>
> As Frank points out, the aero advantage tends to be much larger and
> more practical than the weight advantage.

The initial argument was aero vs inertia. In that case aero always
wins. But in aero vs weight it's not so clear cut.

Joseph

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:41:47 -0800 (PST),

>On Nov 27, 12:58 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Carve weight off a wheel, and the wind drag goes up.
>>
>> Reduce the wheel's wind drag, and the weight rises.
>>
>> As Frank points out, the aero advantage tends to be much larger and
>> more practical than the weight advantage.

>The initial argument was aero vs inertia. In that case aero always
>wins. But in aero vs weight it's not so clear cut.
>
>Joseph

Dear Joseph,

Can you think of a reasonably normal example in which trading
aerodynamics for lighter wheels will not produce slower times?

Climbing the Alp d'Huez should favor the lighter wheel.

A short sprint may favor the lighter wheel.

But just about any normal paved course should favor aero.

Of course, there are light aero wheels. But you can use less of the
same material to shape an even lighter wheel. Since it won't be as
aerodynamic, it should be slower for most courses.

In broad terms, that's why the Varna Diablo weighs as much as four
normal bicycles, but can exceed 80 mph. In practical terms, wind drag
trumps weight on just about anything but a steep climb.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Nov 27, 10:34 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:41:47 -0800 (PST),
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Nov 27, 12:58 am, [email protected] wrote:

> >> Carve weight off a wheel, and the wind drag goes up.

> >> Reduce the wheel's wind drag, and the weight rises.

> >> As Frank points out, the aero advantage tends to be much larger and
> >> more practical than the weight advantage.

> >The initial argument was aero vs inertia. In that case aero always
> >wins. But in aero vs weight it's not so clear cut.

> >Joseph

> Dear Joseph,
>
> Can you think of a reasonably normal example in which trading
> aerodynamics for lighter wheels will not produce slower times?
>
> Climbing the Alp d'Huez should favor the lighter wheel.
>
> A short sprint may favor the lighter wheel.
>
> But just about any normal paved course should favor aero.
>
> Of course, there are light aero wheels. But you can use less of the
> same material to shape an even lighter wheel. Since it won't be as
> aerodynamic, it should be slower for most courses.
>
> In broad terms, that's why the Varna Diablo weighs as much as four
> normal bicycles, but can exceed 80 mph. In practical terms, wind drag
> trumps weight on just about anything but a steep climb.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

In a mass start race, light can be more important that aero, even on
just a rolling course.

I race (or at least participate in...) races that usually are 5 laps
of about 15km with usually 2 semi-difficult hills per lap. Standard
operating procedure is for me to get dropped on hill 2 of lap 2. My
buddies email me their GPS plots after the races and invariably the
pace calms down (at least for a while) somewhat shortly after I get
dropped. I always finish the races, but the last few laps are just an
exercise to see how much I can limit the gap. Aero would help here,
but at this point, who cares?

If I crest the hill 20m back from the group and I've got hydrogen ions
coming out of my ears, and I've been at max hr for the last 30 seconds
or so, no amount of aero is going to allow me to pull them back. If my
bike/body is a shade lighter, I may be able to crest the hill with the
group. Then I'm sitting pretty until the next hill. If I get all the
way to the finish, I'm ready to administer some serious punishment to
those who made me suffer on the hills.

Joseph

On Nov 26, 11:45 am, [email protected] wrote:

> You'd better decide whether you're talking about racing or not.

YOU'RE the one who brought racing into the discussion.

(In reaction to the typical snotty Frank Krygowski-style "you'd
better blah blah blah).

We're not in class, and I'm not one of your (poor) students, bub.

> If
> you're

HOW ABOUT *WE*!?!?!?

(there, are you awake and paying attention yet??)

> not, neither a small reduction in wheel inertia nor a small
> reduction in wheel aero drag matter, so the tradeoff between the two
> is moot.

Moot? You seem to want to think so. Other people might not, for
obvious reasons.

> If you are talking about racing, you'd _better_ be riding over "15mph
> or so." And then, that tradeoff goes in favor of aero, not less
> inertia.

Unless we're going up a long, steep climb. That's why people who can
spend a comparatively large sum on the lightest wheel they can get
with the most aero in it.

> We also need to review the concept of "negligible."

You need to "review" and be more careful about what you type, too.

> Do you shave off
> your arm hair before a road race? I never did, even though I know it
> would have "helped" at some level. Some effects really do disappear
> in the noise.

Typical Krygowsky rhetoric. Attempt to ridicule, set up a straw man.

You still didn't make that seven seconds for 40k go away, Frank.

Here's the problem (opinion). People ask a question ("What/how much is
gained from x grams weight loss"), and get an answer. You can't show
such a large gain for simple weight reduction and then say it doesn't
matter out of the other side of your mouth.

There's something else going on here. Maybe the discussion needs to be
a little more detailed? There's a problem with expensive bike gear?
And lycra jersies with writing all over them?

One figure, a very rough and word-of-mouth estimate went around during
the 80's, when disc and deep section wheels and aero bars and
"enclosed" cables came into use: difference for a 40k ITT? Two and a
half minutes.

That's why you see all those "civilians" (riders not licensed for
racing) out there with the fancy wheels and the aero bars. It's not
all ad hype by any means. --D-y

On Nov 27, 3:34 am, [email protected] wrote:

> Dear Joseph,
>
> Can you think of a reasonably normal example in which trading
> aerodynamics for lighter wheels will not produce slower times?
>
> Climbing the Alp d'Huez should favor the lighter wheel.
>
> A short sprint may favor the lighter wheel.
>
> But just about any normal paved course should favor aero.
>
> Of course, there are light aero wheels. But you can use less of the
> same material to shape an even lighter wheel. Since it won't be as
> aerodynamic, it should be slower for most courses.

(butting in to propose an answer)

Do I have "numbers"? No. Just a guess for your question: Riding a
tight crit, being very good (and a little lucky) at sitting tight on
the right wheels, where you're only bucking the wind for maybe 200
yards while you storm to a crushing victory. (real answer: pack
riding) --D-y

On Nov 27, 8:22 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 11:45 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > You'd better decide whether you're talking about racing or not.

> YOU'RE the one who brought racing into the discussion.

Nope. Not so. Both Carl Fogel and SocSecTrainWreck mentioned it
earlier than I did. Check the posts. I was merely following the
course of the conversation.

> (In reaction to the typical snotty Frank Krygowski-style "you'd
> better blah blah blah).

<sigh> D-y, you've got a knack for misinterpreting my tone, plus an
incredible chip on your shoulder! I had nothing "snotty" in mind when
I replied to you, and nothing in my tone was intended to sound that
way.

If you can't stand even mild disagreement, you shouldn't be posting to
Usenet.

No, wait! Strike that! Replace it with:

In my humble and respectful opinion, if mild disagreement disturbs and/
or distresses you, you might want to consider finding another way to
pass your time. Your interpretation of Usenet posts may possibly
induce unpleasant negative emotions, and I certainly wouldn't want any
unpleasantness at all to befall such a nice guy! ;-)

> > If you're
> > not, neither a small reduction in wheel inertia nor a small
> > reduction in wheel aero drag matter, so the tradeoff between the two
> > is moot.

> Moot? You seem to want to think so. Other people might not, for
> obvious reasons.

Of course others may think differently. And, for a given set of
criteria, one side might be right and the other side wrong. So why
not deal with the facts, instead of taking offense at any
disagreement?

> > If you are talking about racing, you'd _better_ be riding over "15mph
> > or so." And then, that tradeoff goes in favor of aero, not less
> > inertia.

> Unless we're going up a long, steep climb. That's why people who can
> spend a comparatively large sum on the lightest wheel they can get
> with the most aero in it.

Sorry, but "the lightest wheel with the most aero" is not what I was
talking about - because it doesn't exist. I was discussing the
tradeoff between two conflicting benefits.

> > We also need to review the concept of "negligible." Do you shave off
> > your arm hair before a road race? I never did, even though I know it
> > would have "helped" at some level. Some effects really do disappear
> > in the noise.

> Typical Krygowsky rhetoric. Attempt to ridicule, set up a straw man.

Nope, attempt to illustrate. Failed attempt, I see.

The point is, small theoretical performance benefits are not reliable,
and are often negligible. That includes minor aerodynamic
advantages. (Remember Shimano Aero groups, or whatever they were
called? Where are they now? Why didn't they stick around?)

And in most riding done with an objective of even moderate speed or
distance, inertia changes are less valuable than aerodynamic changes
of equal magnitude.

> You still didn't make that seven seconds for 40k go away, Frank.

If you want to theoretically "prove" the seven second benefit in the
context of what I've been saying, here's what you do: You spec two
wheelsets, one with a bit less inertia and a bit more aero drag
compared to the other wheelset. Ideally, make the differences of
equal percentage magnitude (i.e. 5% less inertia, 5% more drag). And
since we're talking inertia (vs weight), adjust the weight of the bike
+rider to keep it constant.

Put those two bikes into one of the bike performance calculators.
Report back on which is faster over the 40k time trial.

I think you'll find the seven seconds goes away very nicely. The aero
advantage on the bike with more slippery wheels will more than consume
the inertia disadvantage.

If that were not so, these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_time_trial
would be stripping off those high-inertia rear disks.

- Frank Krygowski

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:48:45 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Nov 27, 3:34 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Dear Joseph,
>>
>> Can you think of a reasonably normal example in which trading
>> aerodynamics for lighter wheels will not produce slower times?
>>
>> Climbing the Alp d'Huez should favor the lighter wheel.
>>
>> A short sprint may favor the lighter wheel.
>>
>> But just about any normal paved course should favor aero.
>>
>> Of course, there are light aero wheels. But you can use less of the
>> same material to shape an even lighter wheel. Since it won't be as
>> aerodynamic, it should be slower for most courses.

>(butting in to propose an answer)
>
>Do I have "numbers"? No. Just a guess for your question: Riding a
>tight crit, being very good (and a little lucky) at sitting tight on
>the right wheels, where you're only bucking the wind for maybe 200
>yards while you storm to a crushing victory. (real answer: pack
>riding) --D-y

Dear D,

I sympathize, but it still sounds like wishful thinking.

"If only I'd drained my bladder right there at the starting line and
gotten rid of those extra few drops, I'd have been light enough to
pass those guys who somehow stayed ahead of me for the first 14,800
meters. It can't be that they're faster than I am."

"Hmmm . . . maybe if I ride without socks, the reduction in rotating
mass at the pedals will give me the acceleration that I need?"

I wonder how much people think that they're accelerating in that last
200 yards?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:05:10 -0800 (PST),

[snip]

>> For fun, you could ask your friends to carry a 1 kg weight (or
>> whatever difference you _might_ get with amazingly lighter wheels),
>> but they'll probably keep dropping you.

>Actually we have done this. On our hill interval hill some guys have
>carried 4 full water bottles and one guy even had a backpack with
>dumbells in it! The water bottles made some difference, but it's
>inevitable that I will be dropped on hills, if the hill is long
>enough. With weights approaching mine using the dumbells, they all got
>stomped despite having higher power output than I. They were just not
>used to the weight and the type of resistance it brings (low "crank
>inertia").
>
>Joseph
>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

Dear Joseph,

If you're racing on wheels that can be lightened by the equivalent of
a backpack loaded with dumbbells, you must have started with some
awfully strange wheels.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Nov 27, 2:34 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Nope. Not so. Both Carl Fogel and SocSecTrainWreck mentioned it
> earlier than I did. Check the posts. I was merely following the
> course of the conversation.

Right. My bad. I apologize.

> <sigh> D-y, you've got a knack for misinterpreting my tone,

No.

> plus an
> incredible chip on your shoulder!

That's one of my good qualities.

> I had nothing "snotty" in mind when
> I replied to you, and nothing in my tone was intended to sound that
> way.

Thank you, Frank.

> If you can't stand even mild disagreement, you shouldn't be posting to
> Usenet.

I can stand it just fine.

> No, wait! Strike that! Replace it with:
>
> In my humble and respectful opinion, if mild disagreement disturbs and/
> or distresses you, you might want to consider finding another way to
> pass your time. Your interpretation of Usenet posts may possibly
> induce unpleasant negative emotions, and I certainly wouldn't want any
> unpleasantness at all to befall such a nice guy! ;-)

Good one, Frank. I'm sure it was unpleasant to be yelled at, so to
speak. I apologized for the misattribution, but not for the comments
(or delivery volume) about the tenor of your posts, for all your
assurances of intent. Sue me? (Dang, there's that foreign object on my
shoulder-- nope, it's not an epaulette! Way too much wood grain!)

> Of course others may think differently. And, for a given set of
> criteria, one side might be right and the other side wrong. So why
> not deal with the facts, instead of taking offense at any
> disagreement?

Fire away. There isn't any "wrong" about the seven seconds, unless the
math is faulty. I expect it's a minimum, did I say?

> > > If you are talking about racing, you'd _better_ be riding over "15mph
> > > or so." And then, that tradeoff goes in favor of aero, not less
> > > inertia.

> > Unless we're going up a long, steep climb. That's why people who can
> > spend a comparatively large sum on the lightest wheel they can get
> > with the most aero in it.

> Sorry, but "the lightest wheel with the most aero" is not what I was
> talking about - because it doesn't exist. I was discussing the
> tradeoff between two conflicting benefits.

Obviously (but I'll explain) meant to say "the best compromise between
aero and weight they can get".

Here's a pic of wheels that have had obvious attention paid to light
and aero:

<http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/features/
tour_lance_bikes07/Armstrong_Trek_1999_closeup.jpg>

Looks like "light" won out, there. I'd say that's at a sharp point of
spending money to go fast uphill-- maybe not the best solution, but
from reports, we could expect some fussy picking and choosing has
occurred here.

> The point is, small theoretical performance benefits are not reliable,

That is the point (finally). No, if you keep the lighter wheels on,
that advantage is always there. Breakfast is elsewhere.

> and are often negligible.

Seven seconds every 40k? Real. Then there's the value judgement, which
you're reaching for with "negligible".

> That includes minor aerodynamic
> advantages. (Remember Shimano Aero groups, or whatever they were
> called? Where are they now? Why didn't they stick around?)

Because the brakes sucked. That and "New! Improved!" marketing for
following years.

> And in most riding done with an objective of even moderate speed or
> distance, inertia changes are less valuable than aerodynamic changes
> of equal magnitude.

We know, Frank.

(I adjusted the chip on my shoulder and stated):
> > You still didn't make that seven seconds for 40k go away, Frank.

(reply):
> If you want to theoretically "prove" the seven second benefit in the
> context of what I've been saying, here's what you do:

(Excuse me):
Send someone else on your errands, Frank.

> You spec two
> wheelsets, one with a bit less inertia and a bit more aero drag
> compared to the other wheelset. Ideally, make the differences of
> equal percentage magnitude (i.e. 5% less inertia, 5% more drag). And
> since we're talking inertia (vs weight), adjust the weight of the bike
> +rider to keep it constant.
>
> Put those two bikes into one of the bike performance calculators.
> Report back on which is faster over the 40k time trial.

> I think you'll find the seven seconds goes away very nicely. The aero
> advantage on the bike with more slippery wheels will more than consume
> the inertia disadvantage.

I already said that in a lot fewer words, and everybody already knows
in the first place.

The seven seconds for the first comparison, between two sets of
wheels, one a certain amount lighter than the other, is still there
and will never, ever "go away". You want to drag one more or a
thousand more wheels into the comparison, fine. The numbers are still
there.

There's something that really bugs you about that seven seconds,
besides the fact that they won't go away.

Think about that and report back, will you, Frank? (That's what I'm
waiting for here.)

> If that were not so, these guyshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_time_trial
> would be stripping off those high-inertia rear disks.

That's just being silly. No, really.

I'm not going to lead you any further. What's wrong with the lighter
wheels, in plain talk? Come on, you can do it! --D-y

On Nov 27, 2:45 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> I sympathize,

No need. I've been beaten by some pretty good riders.

> but it still sounds like wishful thinking.

> "If only I'd drained my bladder right there at the starting line and
> gotten rid of those extra few drops, I'd have been light enough to
> pass those guys who somehow stayed ahead of me for the first 14,800
> meters. It can't be that they're faster than I am."

Not ever.

> "Hmmm . . . maybe if I ride without socks, the reduction in rotating
> mass at the pedals will give me the acceleration that I need?"

Come on, CF.

> I wonder how much people think that they're accelerating in that last
> 200 yards?

Hard as they can.

How much energy did they manage to save for that blast since the race
started, is the question.

Maybe it exists, I just don't see people who are deluded about
benefits of equipment advantages-- especially when "the other guys"
all have similar stuff. --D-y

On Nov 27, 7:06 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2:34 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Nope. Not so. Both Carl Fogel and SocSecTrainWreck mentioned it
> > earlier than I did. Check the posts. I was merely following the
> > course of the conversation.

> Right. My bad. I apologize.

Accepted.

> > <sigh> D-y, you've got a knack for misinterpreting my tone,

> No.

Ah. Yet, as I recall, this is not the first time you've laced into me
for what I intended as a mild post. Sorry, but I simply don't believe
you know the tone I intend better than I do.

> > I had nothing "snotty" in mind when
> > I replied to you, and nothing in my tone was intended to sound that
> > way.

> Thank you, Frank.

You're welcome.

> Good one, Frank. I'm sure it was unpleasant to be yelled at, so to
> speak. I apologized for the misattribution, but not for the comments
> (or delivery volume) about the tenor of your posts, for all your
> assurances of intent. Sue me?

No, just reduce my estimation of your judgment.

> > Sorry, but "the lightest wheel with the most aero" is not what I was
> > talking about - because it doesn't exist. I was discussing the
> > tradeoff between two conflicting benefits.

> Obviously (but I'll explain) meant to say "the best compromise between
> aero and weight they can get".

Sorry, but that was _not_ obvious. And it both sidesteps the point I
was making, and greatly exceeds the point you were making.

To explain: First, I was describing the typical tradeoff between
wheel aerodynamics and wheel inertia, and I believe I made that
clear. The extreme examples were the photos showing pro time trialers
using wheels of very high inertia. Obviously, the people betting the
most money on this are choosing an aero advantage, despite an inertia
disadvantage. They are doing exactly what I said should be done.

Second, your claim that you _really_ meant "the best compromise" is an
admission that you expressed yourself very poorly. It's also too
simplistic to be meaningful. IOW, of _course_ one should use "the
best compromise." But the "best compromise" for a time trial will be
a wheel with more inertia than the typical light wheel, and less aero
drag than that typical light wheel. The same is true for most types
of racing. (For rides other than racing, the question is moot, as I
said.)

> Here's a pic of wheels that have had obvious attention paid to light
> and aero:
>
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/features/
> tour_lance_bikes07/Armstrong_Trek_1999_closeup.jpg>
>
> Looks like "light" won out, there. I'd say that's at a sharp point of
> spending money to go fast uphill-- maybe not the best solution, but
> from reports, we could expect some fussy picking and choosing has
> occurred here.

And what, specifically, are you recommending? That every competitive
rider should use exactly those wheels? Even when _not_ designing a
bike specialized for steep mountain climbing competition?

Are you implying that these guys http://www.fascatcoaching.com/f_one.html
don't know what they're talking about? Note, Scott Daubert's job was
to make Lance faster in time trials.

Why didn't the article focus on wheel inertia instead? Why doesn't
the photo show light wheels?

> > And in most riding done with an objective of even moderate speed or
> > distance, inertia changes are less valuable than aerodynamic changes
> > of equal magnitude.

> We know, Frank.

And yet, your posts argued to the contrary. Either you didn't know,
or that chip is weighing very heavily on your shoulder.

> > > You still didn't make that seven seconds for 40k go away, Frank.

> > If you want to theoretically "prove" the seven second benefit in the
> > context of what I've been saying, here's what you do: You spec two
> > wheelsets, one with a bit less inertia and a bit more aero drag
> > compared to the other wheelset. Ideally, make the differences of
> > equal percentage magnitude (i.e. 5% less inertia, 5% more drag). And
> > since we're talking inertia (vs weight), adjust the weight of the bike
> > +rider to keep it constant.

> > Put those two bikes into one of the bike performance calculators.
> > Report back on which is faster over the 40k time trial.

> > I think you'll find the seven seconds goes away very nicely. The aero
> > advantage on the bike with more slippery wheels will more than consume
> > the inertia disadvantage.

> (Excuse me):
> Send someone else on your errands, Frank.

No need. I see Carl has already done the work. Thanks, Carl.

> I already said that in a lot fewer words, and everybody already knows
> in the first place.

If that's the case, you've spent a lot of time and energy arguing to
no purpose. Drop the chip. Its inertia is slowing you.

- Frank Krygowski

On Nov 27, 3:28 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:05:10 -0800 (PST),
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> >> For fun, you could ask your friends to carry a 1 kg weight (or
> >> whatever difference you _might_ get with amazingly lighter wheels),
> >> but they'll probably keep dropping you.

> >Actually we have done this. On our hill interval hill some guys have
> >carried 4 full water bottles and one guy even had a backpack with
> >dumbells in it! The water bottles made some difference, but it's
> >inevitable that I will be dropped on hills, if the hill is long
> >enough. With weights approaching mine using the dumbells, they all got
> >stomped despite having higher power output than I. They were just not
> >used to the weight and the type of resistance it brings (low "crank
> >inertia").

> >Joseph

> >> Cheers,

> >> Carl Fogel

> Dear Joseph,
>
> If you're racing on wheels that can be lightened by the equivalent of
> a backpack loaded with dumbbells, you must have started with some
> awfully strange wheels.

Moser's hour record wheels. Great on the flats. Lousy in the hills.

I know saving weight makes a difference climbing but cannot say at
what point, i.e., a gram, a kilo, etc. Throwing Ti bits and pieces on
my SP frame back in the day made absolutely no difference. Switching
to an AL bike with a CF fork made a big difference (until everyone
changed to lighter equipment). Light wheels with sew-ups made a
difference, but that was back in the day when my training clinchers
were first generation Turbos and rode like rocks. I also know that in
the waning days of my long and ignoble racing career, I tried all
sorts of weight saving measures (ounces) to avoid being shelled on the
climbs. None worked. I had to turn to clever tactics, like avoiding
hilly road races populated by 120lb climbers who were 20 years younger
than me.

I just dropped 20lbs and find it easier to climb, but I don't feel
like my over-all speed is that much higher. Climbing is just less
taxing, and I have a sprint at the top again. I could probably dump
my old fat self by a couple of bike lengths on a 1K climb. Maybe if I
got uber-light wheels, I could dump myself by three bike lengths! No
matter what, I would still be looking at the backside of my usual
riding buddy who will always kick my ass. -- Jay Beattie.

On Nov 27, 3:41 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 12:58 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Carve weight off a wheel, and the wind drag goes up.

> > Reduce the wheel's wind drag, and the weight rises.

> > As Frank points out, the aero advantage tends to be much larger and
> > more practical than the weight advantage.

> The initial argument was aero vs inertia. In that case aero always
> wins. But in aero vs weight it's not so clear cut.

Not exactly. Aero doesn't always win; the model is difficult, but in
some situations where there is a lot of acceleration, rotating mass
could be more important. I don't think that aero beats rotating mass
in a criterium. In the first place, with most massed start races aero
loses much of its advantage because you are frequently riding in
someone's slipstream. But, regardless, the amount of acceleration is
essentially many, many times what it is in Fogel's pursuit race that
showed an aero advantage. You can even see how it could be affected by
racing tactics- two racers of the same fitness, one with lighter
wheels, one with more aero wheels get the same leadout. The person
with the more aero wheels wants to try to come off the leadout sooner,
the one with the lighter, less aero wheels wants to sprint later and
build up enough of a lead that it can't be overcome by the aero rider
before the finish line. Personally, for a criterium, given the choice
of alloy 500g aero rims or 320g classic box section rims, I would take
the latter.

This is why people buy carbon wheels- you get aero and you get low
rotating mass. My point is not that low rotating mass is better than
aero, it's that low rotating mass in not so unimportant that it can be
ignored for competition; it seemed to be suggested that it was
essentially insignificant. If you're looking for one more watt so that
you can win your TT, get some carbon aero wheels.

On Nov 26, 7:41 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> In a crit, jumping out
> of every corner (esp. in the V's <g>), "that would be more".

I'm amazed at how often I see this. If you are in a crit and "jumping
out of corners" then you are not in the race... and have much more
important issues to address than getting lighter wheels. If you are
near the front, you don't slow down for corners at all. If you need to
*get* to the front then better aerodynamics is what you need since you
will have your nose in the wind. If someone attacks then you need to
accelerate to get on their wheel, but in nearly all circumstances
better aerodynamics will help you there more than lower inertia.

On Nov 27, 3:34 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:23:05 -0800 (PST),
> Sorry, but I got lost in the first sentence about mass starts somehow
> favoring lighter wheels over aero wheels. They favor it for about the
> length of time it takes the rider to get up to racing speed.

You seem to be under a complete misconception about the nature of
massed start racing. In those situations where you have a constant
speed you are likely to be in someone's slipstream and going at a rate
that is not necessarily that strenuous. Even in a break the ability to
respond instantly to an attack will be more important than the
advantage of aero wheels when you are pulling. On level ground if you
lose contact with a break, your chances of getting back on thanks to
your aero wheels are nil, but you might avoid the problem if you can
respond quickly enough that you don't lose contact in the first place.
And if the pace becomes serious in the peloton, you are constantly
"getting up to racing speed". As I said before, your theoretical
example is only found in the real world on the track.

But to reiterate my earlier point: it's best to have light, aero rims.
That's why people have carbon rims. They may be fashionable, expensive
and less reliable, but they are also the fastest. Those who don't have
them may want to rationalize their deficiency by saying the weight
doesn't matter, but it does. Find another excuse, because there are
better ones.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:47:55 -0800 (PST),
[email protected] wrote:

>On Nov 27, 3:34 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:23:05 -0800 (PST),
>> Sorry, but I got lost in the first sentence about mass starts somehow
>> favoring lighter wheels over aero wheels. They favor it for about the
>> length of time it takes the rider to get up to racing speed.

>You seem to be under a complete misconception about the nature of
>massed start racing. In those situations where you have a constant
>speed you are likely to be in someone's slipstream and going at a rate
>that is not necessarily that strenuous. Even in a break the ability to
>respond instantly to an attack will be more important than the
>advantage of aero wheels when you are pulling. On level ground if you
>lose contact with a break, your chances of getting back on thanks to
>your aero wheels are nil, but you might avoid the problem if you can
>respond quickly enough that you don't lose contact in the first place.
>And if the pace becomes serious in the peloton, you are constantly
>"getting up to racing speed". As I said before, your theoretical
>example is only found in the real world on the track.
>
>But to reiterate my earlier point: it's best to have light, aero rims.
>That's why people have carbon rims. They may be fashionable, expensive
>and less reliable, but they are also the fastest. Those who don't have
>them may want to rationalize their deficiency by saying the weight
>doesn't matter, but it does. Find another excuse, because there are
>better ones.

Dear Marten,

I think that the misconception is the notion that riders will somehow
be unable to accelerate enough to stay in the draft if their wheels
weigh 200 grams more.

The rider in front is trying to accelerate into the wind.

He's not likely to out-accelerate the rider sheltered behind him,
who's using 20%~30% less power to keep up.

If the pace becomes serious, the tiny accelerations involved in the
peloton are just that--tiny. You don't accelerate a bicycle and rider
at much more than a snail's pace from 25 mph, not matter how exciting
it may be to the riders.

As I've asked elsewhere, I wonder how much people think they're
accelerating in the last 200 yards. To be specific, they're almost
certainly going 25 mph or better as the pack gets within sight of the
finish line.

Then they accelerate in 600 feet to what, 40 mph? It's mostly the wind
drag that they're fighting, not spinning the tiny mass of the already
spinning wheels up a bit further.

As for carbon rims, they'd be lighter if they were less aero, but
they'd be slower.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Nov 27, 7:47 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Even in a break the ability to
> respond instantly to an attack will be more important than the
> advantage of aero wheels when you are pulling.

What you are failing to realize is that a) the effect of lighter rims
on your ability to respond is vanishingly small, and b) unless you
happen to be right on the attacking rider's butt then your "reponse"
will be against the wind. Or are you thinking of the rider who is
sucking the wheel of the responder, or is hanging on for dear life
when the attack occurs? I'm assuming that you are at the front of the
race where any of this might matter. If you are responding to an
attack from 83rd place it is a moot point.

Yes of course light weight *and* aero would be best but it is good to
quantify the relative merits of each.

On Nov 27, 7:30 pm, [email protected] wrote:

>[apology] Accepted.

Phew. Was it close? Did you have to think about it?

> Ah. Yet, as I recall, this is not the first time you've laced into me
> for what I intended as a mild post. Sorry, but I simply don't believe
> you know the tone I intend better than I do.

Good one, Frank.

> No, just reduce my estimation of your judgment.

Oh my God, a new low for FK.

So what about the seven seconds you couldn't make go away, despite the
attempts to obfuscate via verbiage?

The "comparison" was a "standard" wheel, to give it a name, v. a
lighter one.

Let's get at the real problem here. A plain statement, please. --D-y

On Nov 27, 6:40 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 7:41 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In a crit, jumping out
> > of every corner (esp. in the V's <g>), "that would be more".

> I'm amazed at how often I see this. If you are in a crit and "jumping
> out of corners" then you are not in the race... and have much more
> important issues to address than getting lighter wheels. If you are
> near the front, you don't slow down for corners at all. If you need to
> *get* to the front then better aerodynamics is what you need since you
> will have your nose in the wind. If someone attacks then you need to
> accelerate to get on their wheel, but in nearly all circumstances
> better aerodynamics will help you there more than lower inertia.

What? I have placed in crits where, at some point, I was stuck in
traffic and had to jump out of a corner or two. With twisting crits
and circuit races, jumping out of corners is sometimes the only way
you can move up because the one straight spot turns in to a five
abreast drag strip. I don't know if a light wheel versus an aero
wheel makes any difference in this situation, though. Ultimately, to
win a sprint (or to move up in a wheel on wheel crit), you have to get
in to the wind. -- Jay Beattie.