Help with XTR shift cables

ctg

Guest
So I bought these damn things and I'm having trouble getting the
adjustments right. Instead of the simple metal ferrules they've got
these plastic caps with rubber boots. The thing is the rubber boots
seem to be preventing me from getting a tight line in order to dial in
the derailer. Am I supposed to leave off the rubber boots or what?
Yeah, I googled and found nothing, let me know if you've used these
damn things and know what to do.

Chris

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So I bought these damn things and I'm having trouble getting the
> adjustments right. Instead of the simple metal ferrules they've got
> these plastic caps with rubber boots. The thing is the rubber boots
> seem to be preventing me from getting a tight line in order to dial in
> the derailer. Am I supposed to leave off the rubber boots or what?
> Yeah, I googled and found nothing, let me know if you've used these
> damn things and know what to do.

The rubber boot goes above the last cable stop to the rear derailleur. Don't
know how much good it does. I guess it's mostly to prevent rocks, and sticks
from entering the cable housing, since it's located so low on the frame, and
prone to all kinds of trail induced horrors. Just make sure you put the
pointy end, up.