Hi Guys new to the board and have a question about Tempo training?

jsolo15

May 16, 2004
I have been MTN biking for about 5 years now.

A couple of my Road bike friend took me to one of their races and I been hook since then. I went out and bought a Cannondale R800. Have been enjoying my rides.

Now I been reading the forum and found many good post on Endurance training and Tempo training. (I even went out and bought Lance and Chris Preformance book.) I took the 3 mile time trail and did it 8Min & 10ss.

My overall goal is to train and maybe next year buy a better bike and compete in either Road or TT Events. (I'm really good at hills cuz of my Mountian biking exp; Just need to build my endurance.) TT interest me because I wanna see how fast I can get.

My question is on your Tempo Training what Gear are you guys working on?

( I started training on 39-15 and have since moved to 39-13 at a Cad. of about 80-95 my AHR is 145: my MHR is 195)

I resently been thinking of moving up to 53-19 or 17 to work on my cad, what do you guys think ?

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks Jsolo

-age? 25?
-dictance of your TT

Gear isn't important. Cadance and Power vs Time is.

Better condition-> Try about 2x the distance of your TT with 70% HRMax. 2 times/week

Power/MLSS improvement->Interval training. Divide your TT distance in 6 or something. cycle 1/6 slow, then 1/6 full, 1/6 slow, etc. and end with 1/6 slow. not more then 2 times a week

slow=60% hrmax or something
full=90-95%hrmax. A typical TT is 30km, so 1/6 is about 5km. 6km=about 8-10min. 8-10min 90-95% hrmax is ok.

Only strength; better go to a gym and do LegPress. You can also do a sprint training. 2/3 times a week.

If you are training, judge your intensity on your heartbeats/minute not on your km/h or power.

Thank marlon1

I will try what your recommended.

The TT, I wanna enter are 30Km and I have a Bike Path about 5 minutes from my house about 5Km. (I will start doing this every Tuesday)

I do about 62 miles or 100 Km at 70% AHR every Sat.
On sundays I do about 40 Km on hills around my house @ 70% to 85% of my MHR.

One thing I'm looking to get this is year maybe for my B-day is a powertab. I have a ciclosport HAC4 I only use it as a Cadance,Speed and HRM.