New Guys Training

ShaMor

Jun 11, 2011
Hello everyone, I am new to the cycling scene and wish for the forums help in helping me achieve my goal to start competeing in cycling events/ races. Thanks to the help of several friendly forum goers ( you know who you are =D ) I have made several large advances towards my goals but now I have reached several new bumps ,although small, in the road. Now I have been directed towards this thread by those mentioned above to help me in this next part of my climb to the top.

My current problem has to deal with training in general.

Note: I am 16 years old so if you wish to help me, please keep this in the back of your mind. ( By this I mean rigor, scheduling, affordability, and things of that nature.)

Problems-

1. Having turned 16 recently I have been graced with the ability to start using my local gym, sadly I do not know what sort of routines/ excersises I should do using said gym to help better myself.

2. I will be getting my first road bike here shortly so I will need to stray away from my current rountine which consists of 18 miles a day on a mountian bike on a trail (flat) and a 3 mile run. Is there any sort of routine I should do while biking to better myself?

3. Is there a certain diet and wieght to height ratio I should be aiming for?

Sorry for the wall of text but that is just how I speak. :p

PS. Thank you ahead of time for your kindness and understanding.

hi there,

we have a lot of young bikers and very glad of it keeps them busy and staying out of bad things.

first to answer your questions, if you can make your legs, shoulders, arms and back strong also you must be a quick thinker if you can accomplish these things that would be perfect, plus if you have a certain goal for a week you need to accomplish it. riding is not easy it requires a lot of time and will, hope you are ready for the challenge. in terms of the diet for me i use a lot of protiens and before riding i always eat a whole bar of chocolate and water or gatorade, something like that. you'll figure it out.. good luck and ride safe.

hi there,

we have a lot of young bikers and very glad of it keeps them busy and staying out of bad things.

first to answer your questions, if you can make your legs, shoulders, arms and back strong also you must be a quick thinker if you can accomplish these things that would be perfect, plus if you have a certain goal for a week you need to accomplish it. riding is not easy it requires a lot of time and will, hope you are ready for the challenge. in terms of the diet for me i use a lot of protiens and before riding i always eat a whole bar of chocolate and water or gatorade, something like that. you'll figure it out.. good luck and ride safe.

at your age the question should be how to get you away from the bike !
forget about a too tight of a sporting-weekly schedule and have fun with it, beating your cycling buddies on sprint or a small hill ride, jumping into the bike as soon as you get back from school,
going to the garage in the middle of the night to clean your bike, showing up for dinner with dirty hands out of mechanical work, and so on...