hi wattage bulb in Nite Hawk Nomad head?

aps

Guest
I'm currently using a PVC fitting in my homemade lighting rig, but I
see that the Nomad is running $25 so I wonder about using its head and
cabling for a 10w mr11. The Nomad uses a 5w bulb, so my concern is
whether 10-20w would get too hot for the housing, which is different
from their other units. Actual experience and/or wild speculation would
be appreciated!

Aps wrote:
> I'm currently using a PVC fitting in my homemade lighting rig, but I see
> that the Nomad is running $25 so I wonder about using its head and
> cabling for a 10w mr11. The Nomad uses a 5w bulb, so my concern is
> whether 10-20w would get too hot for the housing, which is different
> from their other units. Actual experience and/or wild speculation would
> be appreciated!

I agree with your concern. I think that heat would be a problem. Some
lights warn of heat problem potentials even when used with the rated
bulbs. If you buy it and try it, let us know the results.

--

daveornee wrote:

> Aps wrote:
> > I'm currently using a PVC fitting in my homemade lighting rig,

> but I see > that the Nomad is running $25 so I wonder about using
> its head and > cabling for a 10w mr11. The Nomad uses a 5w bulb, so
> my concern is > whether 10-20w would get too hot for the housing,
> which is different > from their other units. Actual experience
> and/or wild speculation would > be appreciated!
>

> I agree with your concern. I think that heat would be a problem. Some
> lights warn of heat problem potentials even when used with the rated
> bulbs. If you buy it and try it, let us know the results.

It could definately be a problem. I wouldn't use anything hotter than Nitehawk
sells. Also, if you have lead acid batteries, they really can't handle more
than about 10W without running the batteries down very quickly.

Matt O.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:31:44 -0700, aps <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm currently using a PVC fitting in my homemade lighting rig, but I
>see that the Nomad is running $25 so I wonder about using its head and
>cabling for a 10w mr11. The Nomad uses a 5w bulb, so my concern is
>whether 10-20w would get too hot for the housing, which is different
>from their other units. Actual experience and/or wild speculation would
>be appreciated!

I was going to point out that they sell a 20 watt model which uses the
same housing but you say that the one which comes with the Nomad model
is different. Now I have to ask, how is it different?

the second item down
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/EagleEyeFogDriving01.asp
are nice little lights. they use a mr11 bulb though they say mr16. they are
pretty small and not bad looking. they use regular mr11 bulbs and I have used
20watt bulbs overvolted to 16volts without problems. I have 4 of them if you
want one cheap.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes