Cycling Training · Public discussion

High heart rate while riding

Started by Mariusroxana · · Last activity · 43 posts · 8,903 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
15 November 2005
Last activity
6 March 2006
Original author
Mariusroxana
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
8,903
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–43 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Percentage of MHR is far better and useful for this disussion. BPM figures are too subjective according to individual. Doing the same course at same speed with a head or tail wind will give very different - work or intensity levels. If you use % of MHR, regardless of external factors, your intensity or work is still the same

    Of course one needs to establish Max heart rate to acurately calculate these percentages in the first place.

    Going back to the OP - have you determined your MHR for cycling? ( not by the 220-age or Polar fit test) this will allow you to work out % of MHR and therefore intensity level/HR zone you are working in.

    Regardless, the bpms quoted indicate fairly high intensity level. You don't need that much high intensity training to get the training effect/body to adapt. Thats why interval training is effective - same training effect/adaption, less stress on body/faster recovery.

    Sally Edwards has a number of books on HR training - I imagine there are other HR training guides which could be referred to??

  2. Cod said:

    Hi: I had a heart attack last October. I've been told there is no damage tothe heart muscle but I must keep my heart rate below 110. 🙁 I'm not sure why this is to be honest. I find it hard to do any reasonable cycling at this rate but managed a couple of hills at a very slow pace last Sunday. Although I suppose we're lucky to be able to cycle at all! Maybe we should start our own Heart Attack forum!🙂


    If I had to keep my HR below that number I could not cycle.

    I get that rate by just walking fast.😠

  3. Cod said:

    Hi: I had a heart attack last October. I've been told there is no damage tothe heart muscle but I must keep my heart rate below 110. 🙁 I'm not sure why this is to be honest. I find it hard to do any reasonable cycling at this rate but managed a couple of hills at a very slow pace last Sunday. Although I suppose we're lucky to be able to cycle at all! Maybe we should start our own Heart Attack forum!🙂

    I presume that you have got clearance from your doctor to resume cycling?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.