High profile wheels

Gio

Oct 14, 2003
Is it worth having high profile wheels (like mavic cosmos) for a long race (300km)? And which have the best price for value?
Thanks,
Gio

more info? is it flat? compared to what wheels r u currently riding on?

The simple answer would likely be yes if it is a reasonably flat/fast type of race. Something like the new Campagnolo Eurus look like reasonable value. Top level wheels, not extremely expensive, and reasonably light.....not really that knowledgable on the prices/value of others though sorry.

I have mavic krysium sl on now... v. pleased with them so far. I live in the south of France and I'm planning to try the GF Milano-Sanremo this spring, so reasonably flat course.
Gio

Originally posted by Gio
Is it worth having high profile wheels (like mavic cosmos) for a long race (300km)? And which have the best price for value?
Thanks,
Gio

If mean by "high profile" deep section, like Mavic Cosmic Carbones or Zipp 404s, then studies have shown a measurable aero benefit at higher speeds (say above 20mph, the higher the greater the benefit) with rims at least 50mm deep. On flat and rolling rolling courses you see many pros and triathletes use them for that reason. The Zipp 404s are also relatively light (about 1640 g), so they aren't bad even if there are some climbs. The Cosmic Carbones (plastic fairing, not carbon) run over 300 g heavier, and are very popular with Euro pros.

I have the Zipps and use them for my daily wheels. I also have Campy Eurus and the original Ksyriums. All are fine wheels, and I put about 6000 miles each on the Eurus and Ks with no problems whatsoever. They have a higher profile (about 30 mm) than traditional box section rims, but apparently yield modest if any aero benefits.

I can't find the sites with the specific aero studies at the moment, but probably someone else can post them.

Depends on what you mean by "is it worth it." Would you pay $600 to shave a few minutes off of a flat race?

Maybe look at Campy Zondas. About $480, I think. About 1650g.