Power meters · Public discussion

Higher volume SST intervals, what is to much?

Started by bgoetz · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,841 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
10 December 2012
Last activity
10 December 2012
Original author
bgoetz
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,841
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My current plan includes one day of 1hr SST blocks (one a.m., one p.m.) in which I am targeting 85-90% FTP, another day of shorter intervals (12-30 min depending on the week) where I am targeting 100+% FTP, again a.m/p.m workouts. Sunday is my day to get in long rides, but I really want to keep it focused to working on building what my focus is for the specific phase of my traing. So initially they will be more SST based. These rides will progressively get longer and harder as I progress through my respective phase, all of the way out to 5+hrs. This week was only 2.5hrs, being that it was my first week and my goal was to sustain 85% FTP for a solid 2hr interval (I managed 87%). My question is given my other workouts during the week am i better served extending the length of my time riding SST or is there a point where breaking things into 2 intervals with a short break makes sense during the real long days? My original thought was to continue extending the length until i hit a point where I am doing such long intervals that I can't maintain 80%. Truthfully IDK when that will be, I simply have not done many steady sustained efforts beyond 1hr.

  2. Just to clarify, my target on my long Sunday will always be 85%, I am just thinking there will come a point where that is not possible. At that point I would allow things to slip to 80% before I decide I have had enough. On the flip side if I had a 4hr day I could maybe manage 2, 1.5 hr intervals separated by 30 min of rest and maintain maybe 85+% for both.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.