Quoted post said:Originally Posted by dhk2
alfeng, it's funny to be accused of "bloviating for years" about the non-existence of "dwell" from you. When is the last time I've responded to you on this subject, and how many posts have you had since I last did? In the 10 years I've been here, I don't recall more than a few times where I've dared to ask about or challenge your notion of "dwell". In this time, I'd venture you've posted about the Shimano "dwell", and the superiority of Campy shifters (which don't have the "dwell"😉 well over a dozen times. That claim, as well as the posting of your favorite little blue table showing the various shift cable pull vs. cassette spacings.....we've all seen those many times now.
Anyway, based on your most-recent explanation that there is "dwell" designed into the Shimano shifter on purpose, I again will state that I disagree with you. My Shimano shifter exhibits no such "dwell", at least that I can determine. On a ride today, I was doing repeated upshifts while spinning at a decent cadence on flat road, at about 16 mph in 53/17 or 19. Carefully and smoothly pushing in the lever, I found that once the slight freeplay was taken up, the RD was moving and the shift was completed. When I rapidly clicked in the lever at all once, I found the shift was completed quickly, ie, without any delay that I could detect.
In all your years and many posts on this subject, has anyone ever come back and agreed with you? I can't recall a single case. Why don't you ask again here, and find out if anyone actually agrees with you? My guess is that most of us have just learned to ignore you on this subject. In that event, don't you think that you could be talking about something that the rest of us haven't experienced? So, as far as I'm concerned, even if there is some slight advantage in shift speed with Campy shifters, it's not significant in the real world.
As to your conspiracy theory about why Shimano would continue to use a more expensive cam-shaped spool rather than a round one since the creation Biopace, as a means to build demand for DI2...wow. Note, if you consider this post as "bloviating", add another one to my count. Now that I'm ranting....just who the hell is DB-from-Tucson?
WHAT?!?
First, by MY count, there are only two "dwell" deniers ...
- you
- the fore mentioned Dystopian-Boy-from-Tucson whose avatar was an image from A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (... because you are a harmonizer with the DB, I figured you would know to whom I was referring).
- just like the DB, you seem to be suggesting that MY experience is a solitary observation regarding "dwell" and/or Campagnolo shifters
[*]and so, it is invalid
[LIST] Would YOU
really have a different opinion regarding "dwell" or Campagnolo shifters
if 1000+ people posted that they agreed with me???
[*]even though the PARK TOOL site refers to "dwell" by name
[*]and, numerous people & "experts" have indicated that the way to resolve the phantom-to-you phenomenon is to un-weight the drivetrain
[LIST] why is there a solution-or-technique for a phenomenon which doesn't exist?
- IMO, to harmonize with the DB even once is to bloviate regardless of actual frequency.
The fact of the matter is that with a bike in a workstand, there probably isn't a significant difference ... but, I don't know how you can extrapolate into the "real world" an unweighted drivetrain any more than Swanson did with the minimal weights he used to test wheel deflection which he posted several years ago ...
- I actually know a guy for whom (in addition to regular cuts of meat + hamburgers & hot dogs + fried chicken & Thanksgiving turkey) Bratwurst is about as exotic a "meat" dish as he figures that he needs to eat because it's what he grew up with AND there is no reason to try anything else ...
I seriously doubt that SRAM (there, I 'spoke' the unspeakable word!) would have found a ready-audience if they were only appealing to the first-on-the-block crowd.
Regardless, as I said before, I am glad if you (and, anyone else) feel(s) that you have not encountered any shifting problems with your Shimano shifters which were not your fault ...
But (as I have said), "Life is too short to have to deal with 'dwell' when there are options" AND SO "Why should I have to bother (since I have obviously experienced the dreaded "dwell"😉?"
As far as the "blue table" which you-and-by-your-estimate-others ignore, it is not meant for you since you are apparently amongst the multitude who cannot decipher a simple matrix ...
And/Or you-and-others are content with how your Shimano shifters function.
The "blue table" it is to assure the comparative newbies who frequently ask about what a good option to upgrade their SHIMANO (typically Sora, sometimes Tiagra or 105) shifters might be so that they will know that they are not limited to SOME REALLY AGGRESSIVELY MARKETED components just because the Cassettes are compatible ...
- Where I come from, it is better to spend less than $200 (closer to $150 if a person is a wise shopper) than to spend several times that amount for a mechanical group from that other brand OR over $1000 for a Di2 shifters-and-derailleur if a person is simply trying to achieve smoother shifting .
- I've got Campagnolo derailleur & wheels/Cassettes, but I am DELIGHTED that I can use Shimano derailleurs & wheels with my Campagnolo shifters because Shimano consumables generally cost a lot less ... WHY PAY MORE?!?
- Even if there were ZERO mechanical superiority, the fact that Campagnolo shifters are compatible means that they are better unless a person is a sponsored rider OR is not concerned about his/her finances because they can cost less unless a person is a unwise shopper... heck, if I had MicroShift shifters on one of my bikes AND knew they would last for a reasonable number of miles, I would probably recommend them, too.
- the flaws in SRAM's business model as I perceive it are enough reasons not to use their shifters/derailleurs ... where I come from, we try not to reward bad behavior aka "voting with one's wallet"
[LIST]
BTW. No conspiracies, per se. Just an understanding of business models; and then, projecting plausible-to-me scenarios which fit (some people call THAT process 'reverse engineering').