Hillwalking with Young Children

Andrew Whaley <[email protected]> wrote
>Nick Pedley wrote:
>
>> Sounds like my sort of thing, where is it near?
>>
>> Nick
>
>Start from Errwood Hall car park SK 119 748, reached as
>Gordon says from the minor road leaving the A5004 about 2
>miles north of Buxton.
>
>From the car park follow the path towards Errwood Hall,
>passing 40,000 rhododendrons before reaching the ruins of
>the hall (SK 0082 7476). From the hall Backtrack slightly
>onto the original path and then continue upwards to the
>ruins of Castedge Cottage (SK 0056 7474). From here a
>path leads east up a small hill to the family burial
>ground (SK 0065 7475). Returning to the cottage, take the
>northerly path (signposted Shrine) gradually ascending
>and reaching the shrine (SK 0028 7585) after about 0.8
>miles. From here you can either return via Foxlow Edge to
>the car park (around 2 miles in total) or if you're
>feeling more energetic via Cat's Tor, Shining Tor and
>then descend via either Shooter's Clough or Stake Side
>(About 5.5 miles and hilly).

That just about covers all the points of interest, I have
seen them all, but will note the GRs for future! One of my
'standards' for all seasons, I make it about 5.8, and it's a
splendid view if you descend the ridge in a foot of snow!

The diversion via Goyt's Moss is also pleasant, adds
about a mile, but the view is less open, and there is
more road walking.
--
Gordon

[email protected] (Bagger) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My 5 year old son wants to come hill walking with me. I'm
> keen to encourage him and plan to take him up Conic Hill
> at Loch Lomond. Has anybody who's been through the process
> of taking their kids hillwalking any advice - apart from
> don't!!!!
>
> My hillwalking blog is http://bagger.typepad.com/

Definately do it! Started my three when they were 8,7 and 3,
they are now 21,20 and 15 and still keen walkers, its given
them an interest for life.

Key advice would be:
1) keep him fed, regular injections of food (especially
sweets and chocolate)make excellent bribes
2) make it fun, allow him to stop and play in streams, skim
stones in lakes etc
3) Don't scare him by taking somewhere he doesn't want to go
- my youngest is still scared of climbing Tryfan after
one time when the weather closed in.

John

KRO <[email protected]> wrote

>"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> KRO <[email protected]> wrote
>> >
>> >I threatened my one I'd leave them up there if they
>> >didn't stop being so lazy. It worked - he hasn't asked
>> >to come with me since!
>> >
>> I took them up Kinder on a wet dismal day and made 'em
>> eat their sandwiches in the rain. Good result - I was
>> able to go off anytime so long as I didn't make them come
>> with me.
>>
>> I had a couple of walks with one pal whose wife and sons
>> wanted to go with him walking, so we only had two days
>> out together. :-(
>
>In all fairness, if I'm planning a short, easyish day I
>don't have a problem taking mine. I wouldn't take him on
>anything I consider would result in me dragging him along.
>They do require education, the boy flinging stones down a
>gully in Glencoe which we'd just come up nearly gave me a
>heart attack!
>
>RKO

I was slightly tongue-in-cheek of course and I love to see
youngsters out with parents who teach them appropriate
country behaviour.
--
Gordon

In article <[email protected]>,
Fran <[email protected]> writes
>> offered the advice of a mile for each year of age and her
>> advice is most sound. So I'd say stick an upper limit of
>> 5 miles on the walk and 2000ft ascent.
>
>It's certainly a good idea, but I don't think it was mine
>originally.

I'm glad it doesn't apply to me ! (Apart from the 5 mile
limit :)..)
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Andrew
Whaley <[email protected]> writes
>To counter this it's good to try include some 'discovery'
>to the trip
>e.g. our local walks around

Many years ago I took my nephew on a short walk - a
completely new experience for him. I spiced up the walk with
a sort of quiz - on the way out I would point out a
particular tree and tell him what it was with the warning
that I would ask him what it was when we came back. His
interest and concentration were kept ticking over nicely.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Gordon
<[email protected]> writes
>Andrew Whaley <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>I regularly walk with my two girls aged 7 and 3 and have
>>taken them both since they were about 2 years old. You'll
>>find that they are much slower than you would be - I
>>reckon on an average speed of 1 mph and a maximum distance
>>of about 2 miles. A five year old might be a bit better in
>>terms of stamina but probably more likely to get bored. To
>>counter this it's good to try include some 'discovery' to
>>the trip e.g. our local walks around the Goyt Valley in
>>Derbyshire include a lot of history around a ruined former
>>hall. The kids get to discover the ruins of former
>>cottages, a graveyard containing the graves of former
>>family members and a shrine that is still used today.
>>
>I've been promising to take my 70 year old blond for a look
>at the rhododendrons near the hall for a week or two. Do
>you have any idea what they are like? Have they already
>flowered?

Getting a bit late for Rhododendrons I think
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, W. D.
Grey <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Gordon
><[email protected]> writes
>>Andrew Whaley <[email protected]> wrote
>>>
>>>I regularly walk with my two girls aged 7 and 3 and have
>>>taken them both since they were about 2 years old.
>>>You'll find that they are much slower than you would be
>>>- I reckon on an average speed of 1 mph and a maximum
>>>distance of about 2 miles. A five year old might be a
>>>bit better in terms of stamina but probably more likely
>>>to get bored. To counter this it's good to try include
>>>some 'discovery' to the trip e.g. our local walks around
>>>the Goyt Valley in Derbyshire include a lot of history
>>>around a ruined former hall. The kids get to discover
>>>the ruins of former cottages, a graveyard containing the
>>>graves of former family members and a shrine that is
>>>still used today.
>>>
>>I've been promising to take my 70 year old blond for a
>>look at the rhododendrons near the hall for a week or two.
>>Do you have any idea what they are like? Have they already
>>flowered?
>
>Getting a bit late for Rhododendrons I think

?? just about out up here...
--
Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim Jackson <[email protected]> writes
>Bernard Hill wrote on Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:36:18 +0100....
>> In article <[email protected]>, W.
>> D. Grey <[email protected]> writes
>> >
>> >Getting a bit late for Rhododendrons I think
>>
>> ?? just about out up here...
>
>There was a good show at the Lower Neuadd Reservoir (south
>of Pen-y- Fan) on Sunday.

I usually think of the last two weeks of May as the time for
Rhodo's but this early in June they should still be lovely.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, KRO
<[email protected]> writes

>"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Many years ago I took my nephew on a short walk - a
>> completely new experience for him. I spiced up the walk
>> with a sort of quiz - on the way out I would point out a
>> particular tree and tell him what it was with the warning
>> that I would ask him what it was when we came back. His
>> interest and concentration were kept ticking over nicely.
>
>I'm not the best at identifying trees, flowers, bushes and
>rock types. I most probably have holes in my knowledge
>about the animals I often see hillwalking. Was that an
>adder or a slow-worm, are those droppings by sheep or what?
>Okay, I'm not about to turn into David Bellamy but
>sometimes these things do make me wonder, and it would be
>nice to know. Anyone know of a good book (pocket sized)
>which would identify rocks, flowers, trees, animals, tracks
>etc? With the emphasis on the UK, as I don't need a section
>on how to tell the difference between male and female
>Komodo dragons :)
>
>KRO

I was looking at a Silver Birch at the time - now come on
that's not difficult :)
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

KRO <[email protected]> wrote

>"Bob Mannix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> For the more difficult items try going to Amazon and
>> searching for:
>>
>> "Collins Complete British Wildlife"
>
>Thanks Bob, maybe something like Collins produces is the
>level I'm after. Pitched at the level of someone who knows
>what a Silver Birch looks like, just...... :)

A little titbit I picked up is that you are quite likely to
find Fly Agaric fungus under Silver Birch trees.
--
Gordon

In article <[email protected]>,
Fran <[email protected]> writes
><Huffs on invisible medal> I'm allowed to be pedantic - my
>WJEC 'Sylfaen (Defnyddio'r Cymraeg)' exam result arrived
>this morning. Guess who got 321/400, thus getting awarded
>grade A? I don't think I've ever had an A for anything
>before! :)
>--
Llongyfarchiadau - very well done - I expect to be Chatting
soon isn't
it :)

BTW It should have been Defnyddio'r Gymraeg - soft mutation
after the definitive article :)

Praps this bit fell into the remaining 79 marks :)
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

news:[email protected]... SNIP our

[email protected] (John) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Bagger) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > My 5 year old son wants to come hill walking with me.
> > I'm keen to encourage him and plan to take him up Conic
> > Hill at Loch Lomond. Has anybody who's been through the
> > process of taking their kids hillwalking any advice -
> > apart from don't!!!!
> >
> > My hillwalking blog is http://bagger.typepad.com/
>
> Definately do it! Started my three when they were 8,7 and
> 3, they are now 21,20 and 15 and still keen walkers, its
> given them an interest for life.
>
> Key advice would be:
> 1) keep him fed, regular injections of food (especially
> sweets and chocolate)make excellent bribes
> 2) make it fun, allow him to stop and play in streams,
> skim stones in lakes etc
> 3) Don't scare him by taking somewhere he doesn't want to
> go - my youngest is still scared of climbing Tryfan
> after one time when the weather closed in.
>
> John

Thanks everybody for the advice. We all had a great day out
and it was helped by the experiences you shared with me.
More details of our day on my hillwalking blog
http://bagger.typepad.com if any one is interested. Thanks.

Nick Pedley wrote:

> Sounds like my sort of thing, where is it near?
>
> Nick

Start from Errwood Hall car park SK 119 748, reached as
Gordon says from the minor road leaving the A5004 about 2
miles north of Buxton.

From the car park follow the path towards Errwood Hall,
passing 40,000 rhododendrons before reaching the ruins of
the hall (SK 0082 7476). From the hall Backtrack slightly
onto the original path and then continue upwards to the
ruins of Castedge Cottage (SK 0056 7474). From here a
path leads east up a small hill to the family burial
ground (SK 0065 7475). Returning to the cottage, take the
northerly path (signposted Shrine) gradually ascending
and reaching the shrine (SK 0028 7585) after about 0.8
miles. From here you can either return via Foxlow Edge to
the car park (around 2 miles in total) or if you're
feeling more energetic via Cat's Tor, Shining Tor and
then descend via either Shooter's Clough or Stake Side
(About 5.5 miles and hilly).

--
Andrew Whaley, author of :-

Trailgauge - Shareware 3D GPS Mapping Software
Free Download from http://www.trailgauge.com

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Many years ago I took my nephew on a short walk - a
> completely new experience for him. I spiced up the walk
> with a sort of quiz - on the way out I would point out a
> particular tree and tell him what it was with the warning
> that I would ask him what it was when we came back. His
> interest and concentration were kept ticking over nicely.

I'm not the best at identifying trees, flowers, bushes and
rock types. I most probably have holes in my knowledge
about the animals I often see hillwalking. Was that an
adder or a slow-worm, are those droppings by sheep or what?
Okay, I'm not about to turn into David Bellamy but
sometimes these things do make me wonder, and it would be
nice to know. Anyone know of a good book (pocket sized)
which would identify rocks, flowers, trees, animals, tracks
etc? With the emphasis on the UK, as I don't need a section
on how to tell the difference between male and female
Komodo dragons :)

KRO

"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> KRO <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >I threatened my one I'd leave them up there if they
> >didn't stop being so lazy. It worked - he hasn't asked to
> >come with me since!
> >
> I took them up Kinder on a wet dismal day and made 'em eat
> their sandwiches in the rain. Good result - I was able to
> go off anytime so long as I didn't make them come with me.
>
> I had a couple of walks with one pal whose wife and sons
> wanted to go with him walking, so we only had two days out
> together. :-(

In all fairness, if I'm planning a short, easyish day I
don't have a problem taking mine. I wouldn't take him on
anything I consider would result in me dragging him along.
They do require education, the boy flinging stones down a
gully in Glencoe which we'd just come up nearly gave me a
heart attack!

RKO

"Andrew Whaley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nick Pedley wrote:
>

> > Sounds like my sort of thing, where is it near?
> >
> > Nick
> >

> Start from Errwood Hall car park SK 119 748, reached as
> Gordon says from the minor road leaving the A5004 about 2
> miles north of Buxton.
>

> --
> Andrew Whaley, author of :-

Thank you very much, I'll try to go there next time I'm up
that way. Thinking about it, I like places with signs of
previous human usage (disused mines, farms, railways etc) as
opposed to empty hills. That's one reason I like the Peak
District more than the Lakes.

FWIW, I only got the walking bug as a kid while at Scouts
when we wandered across the NYM, camped by the NYMR and got
woken up every morning by a diesel entering Goathland
station.... ahh, happy days! Memories of a night hike thru
Eppnig Forest and the (promise of a) nice fry up at the end,
walking thru Sudbury from Hedingham YHA on a Sunday and
treating ourselves to a Wimpy (Bender Burgers! <snigger>),
visiting the beach on a hot day in Wales :).

Nick

[email protected] said...
> Wimpy (Bender Burgers! <snigger>),

I remember them! I used to like the Bender Brunch. Cheese
egg burgers were another favourite, if I wasn't intending
to sit down to eat. These days I wouldn't touch them with
the proverbial barge pole, but way back when it was a
different story.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.