Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

hippy blog extract 17 May 2004

Started by hippy · · Last activity · 11 posts · 471 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
16 May 2004
Last activity
18 May 2004
Original author
hippy
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
471
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 17 May 2004

    I feel so "messenger" today. After about 20 years of using a normal
    backpack (about 10 riding with one) I finally tried something different
    - a messenger bag. A Crumpler "Fux Deluxe" to be precise. $170aud from
    the store in Lt. Burke street, Melbourne. It's a funky
    black/orange/blue - I bought an old model which has horizontal AND
    vertical reflective strips compared to the new model's single
    horizontal one. The guy in the shop said that striping was the most
    expensive thing on the bag. La dee daa 😉

    It feels different. That's all I can say about it, for now...

    Of course I rode the GT SS in and popped nice little track stands at all
    the lights to complete the messenger stylin' package. All I need now is
    a radio and some tatts!

    Cadence Wars.. After some discussion on a.b, I thought I'd see how fast
    I could spin. Going down a hill on Whitehorse Rd. towards Box Hill on
    the GT I counted my right leg pushing 32 times in about 10 seconds, for
    a cadence of 192bpm. I say 'about 10 secs' because I was looking at my
    watch for the timing. I'd get a bit faster with a more accurate method
    of cadence measurement that didn't require one hand off the bars!

    Time: 1:06 (about what I was doing before the Europe trip)

    --

  2. hippy said:

    Time: 1:06 (about what I was doing before the Europe trip)

    Heeeeee's BAAAAAAACK! (in black. and orange and blue!)

    enjoy the stretch of Whitehorse Rd between Elgar and Union Rds? Arent
    those tram stops a joy!?!?!?

    --

  3. flyingdutch said:

    enjoy the stretch of Whitehorse Rd between Elgar and Union Rds? Arent
    those tram stops a joy!?!?!?

    I'm used to them now. If I'm moving fast I stick to the road and squeeze
    by the huge concrete slab. If I'm moving slow or there's a tram nearby I
    take the 'bike lane' option.

    Outbound bike lane is good when a tram has stopped - pass about 20
    stopped cars, take the path, and then jump off the curb and you're now
    in front of everything! bwahahaha

    hippy
    - messenger wannabe

    --

  4. hippy said:

    I'm used to them now. If I'm moving fast I stick to the road and squeeze
    by the huge concrete slab. If I'm moving slow or there's a tram nearby I
    take the 'bike lane' option.
    Outbound bike lane is good when a tram has stopped - pass about 20
    stopped cars, take the path, and then jump off the curb and you're now
    in front of everything! bwahahaha
    hippy
    - messenger wannabe

    stayed well clear, to be honest. Isnt one of those outbound lanes
    directed straight into the path of cars coming out from one of the
    side-streets?

    --

  5. flyingdutch said:

    stayed well clear, to be honest. Isnt one of those outbound lanes
    directed straight into the path of cars coming out from one of the
    side-streets?

    Yes. I wonder who is at fault if I hit a car or a car hits me? I guess
    it would be my fault because the bike path forms the bottom of a T
    intersection with the side road. At night, it's pretty easy to see car
    headlights there so it's not all bad..

    Do you take the bike path or stay on the road?

    hippy

    --

  6. hippy said:

    Yes. I wonder who is at fault if I hit a car or a car hits me? I guess
    it would be my fault because the bike path forms the bottom of a T
    intersection with the side road. At night, it's pretty easy to see car
    headlights there so it's not all bad..
    Do you take the bike path or stay on the road?
    hippy

    road the couple of times i have ridden out that way, but ever fearful
    the 'tracks of death' will get me (mind casts back to broken arm number
    3 circa '87)

    --

  7. flyingdutch said:

    road the couple of times i have ridden out that way, but ever fearful
    the 'tracks of death' will get me (mind casts back to broken arm number
    3 circa '87)

    3 broken arms!!

    You're the last person that needs to worry about maintaining a
    'hardcore' status!

    hippy
    - swapped the 15w Vista globe for 10w and longer running time..

    --

  8. hippy said:

    I feel so "messenger" today. After about 20 years of using a normal
    backpack (about 10 riding with one) I finally tried something different
    - a messenger bag. A Crumpler "Fux Deluxe" to be precise. $170aud from
    the store in Lt. Burke street, Melbourne. It's a funky
    black/orange/blue - I bought an old model which has horizontal AND
    vertical reflective strips compared to the new model's single
    horizontal one. The guy in the shop said that striping was the most
    expensive thing on the bag. La dee daa 😉

    It feels different. That's all I can say about it, for now...

    Mine has worn away the back/bum of my (suit) trowsers.
    It must swing across my back a bit as I ride... *shrug*
    The bag shows no sign of wear though 😉

    Pretty good other than that.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email hidden])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  9. hippy said:

    3 broken arms!!
    You're the last person that needs to worry about maintaining a
    'hardcore' status!

    The count was 3 back in 87!

    Its now 4 and 2 collarbones, 2 knee reco's, 3 Ti pins in right wrist
    (Steel may be real but it aint nice having rust in the machine!)
    Shoulder Reco (and I think Im working my way towards another!) and many,
    many hangovers!!!

    And they said Baseball was a non-contact sport! (altho 2/4 arms and
    collarbones were due to cycling)

    --

  10. Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by flyingdutch Its now 4 and 2 collarbones, 2 knee
    reco's, 3 Ti pins in right wrist, Shoulder Reco (and I think Im working
    my way towards >another!), and many, many hangovers!!!

    and I thought I needed training wheels! 😉

    Do you still play bashball? Prefer the 'non-contact' of cycling?

    hippy

    --

  11. hippy said:
    Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by flyingdutch Its now 4 and 2 collarbones, 2 knee
    reco's, 3 Ti pins in right wrist, Shoulder Reco (and I think Im working
    my way towards >another!), and many, many hangovers!!!


    and I thought I needed training wheels! 😉
    Do you still play bashball? Prefer the 'non-contact' of cycling?
    hippy

    no more baseball. Lost interest (and most of shoulder socket) to
    be honest...

    Very little contact experienced in quite awhile now (reachs for Head to
    touch wood...) (not including BIG dump at Mt Dissapointment offroad a
    couple of years back).

    Havent even fallen off at the lights track-standing (not that Im very
    good at it!) for yonks

    Came VERY close to losing it a few weeks back along Bourke St in front
    of work on one of them big steel plates over roadwork-hole.

    Read about the dude who retired from Yesterday's Giro stage with 'facial
    injuries'. shudder.. ...........................
    🙁 🙁 🙁

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.