History of leg shaving and bicycle racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rick, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I have read several posts about how, when and why to shave your legs. But I have not read one
    stating when and who startd this ritual. Anyone know?

    Tags:

  2. "rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have read several posts about how, when and why to shave your legs. But I have not read one
    > stating when and who startd this ritual. Anyone know?

    Your mom...?

  3. Ep

    Ep Guest

    It was all started by Joe Bic.

    "rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... I have read several posts about how, when
    and why to shave your legs. But I have not read one stating when and who startd this ritual.
    Anyone know?

  4. Ep

    Ep Guest

    Joe Bic should not be confused with Hans Blix.

  5. rick <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have read several posts about how, when and why to shave your legs. But I have not read one
    > stating when and who startd this ritual. Anyone know?

    No. But the real question is why is everybody still so obsessed with bike racers' leg shaving? I
    mean, look at MTV 2 (I get all of my current events information from MTV 2) and every damn male rock
    star and rapper has a waxed chest, and that has been going on since Marky Mark. That's gotta be more
    painful and labor intensive than leg shaving. I'm not complaining, I don't want to look at the Red
    Hot Chili Peppers' chest hair either, but why does the rest of society, including bike racers, still
    care whether or not a few lycra wearing deviants remove their puny leg hairs? (Other than the fact
    that they are lycra wearing deviants.)

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > rick <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I have read several posts about how, when and why to shave your legs. But I have not read one
    > > stating when and who startd this ritual. Anyone know?
    >
    > No. But the real question is why is everybody still so obsessed with bike racers' leg shaving? I
    > mean, look at MTV 2 (I get all of my current events information from MTV 2) and every damn male
    > rock star and rapper has a waxed chest, and that has been going on since Marky Mark. That's gotta
    > be more painful and labor intensive than leg shaving. I'm not complaining, I don't want to look at
    > the Red Hot Chili Peppers' chest hair either, but why does the rest of society, including bike
    > racers, still care whether or not a few lycra wearing deviants remove their puny leg hairs? (Other
    > than the fact that they are lycra wearing deviants.)

    Waxing your chest hair seems to be seen as vanity, shaving your legs seems to be seen as "weird."
    Hence the fascination.

    Mike

  7. "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > rick <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > I have read several posts about how, when and why to shave your legs. But I have not read one
    > > > stating when and who startd this ritual. Anyone know?
    > >
    > > No. But the real question is why is everybody still so obsessed with bike racers' leg shaving? I
    > > mean, look at MTV 2 (I get all of my current events information from MTV 2) and every damn male
    > > rock star and rapper has a waxed chest, and that has been going on since Marky Mark. That's
    > > gotta be more painful and labor intensive than leg shaving. I'm not complaining, I don't want to
    > > look at the Red Hot Chili Peppers' chest hair either, but why does the rest of society,
    > > including bike racers, still care whether or not a few lycra wearing deviants remove their puny
    > > leg hairs? (Other than the fact that they are lycra wearing deviants.)
    > >

    > Waxing your chest hair seems to be seen as vanity, shaving your legs seems to be seen as "weird."
    > Hence the fascination.
    >
    > Mike

    What about swimmers? Waxxing up and putting on a speedo has got to be worse.

    -T

  8. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    yeah when Bic was the sponsor of Gimondi in the 70's they had just developed the disposable