History of the 26-inch MTB Wheel?

Blair Maynard

Guest
I have searched but can't find exactly where the 26 inch wheel came from
before it was used in the early seventies by the ATB pioneers. I believe it
came from Schwinn Black Phantom, which seems to have been a "boy's" version
of a larger "Cruiser." Could someone help me out here:

What bicycle(s) popularized the 26 inch wheel before it was adopted by the
ATB community? Any knowledge or speculation on why it became the standard
ATB wheel? Were any balloon tires available for 700c wheels in the early
seventies?

Which came first, the tire or the ATB?

TIA

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:10:47 GMT, "Blair Maynard"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have searched but can't find exactly where the 26 inch wheel came from
>before it was used in the early seventies by the ATB pioneers. I believe it
>came from Schwinn Black Phantom, which seems to have been a "boy's" version
>of a larger "Cruiser." Could someone help me out here:
>
>What bicycle(s) popularized the 26 inch wheel before it was adopted by the
>ATB community? Any knowledge or speculation on why it became the standard
>ATB wheel? Were any balloon tires available for 700c wheels in the early
>seventies?
>
>Which came first, the tire or the ATB?
>
>TIA

Dear Blair,

I see you are in the market for our 26 x 1 & 1/2 inch Kokomo
New Oxford corrugated tread tire, a very serviceable medium
priced tire, which has given satisfaction to thousands of
riders at $7 plus shipping:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/09.jpg

It's shown on the second row, far right.

We also offer a 26 x 1 & 1/2 inch heavily knobbed tire, the
$5 Mitchell Guaranteed, which is made of the finest quality
gray rubber and is a tire of much durability and resiliency.
The connected knobs add wearing qualities and also afford a
non-skid protection. Flannelette rim strip:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/08.jpg

It's shown on the second row, far left.

Terms are cash. Note that we do not guarantee Factory Brands
of Tires:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/02.jpg

After all, it is 1916, for crying out loud.

Sincerely,

Morely Brothers

"After all, it is 1916, for crying out loud." and in 1916 paved roads were
few and far between...

The history of the ATB according to Joe breeze.
http://www.breezerbikes.com/history/why/history.html
and http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/history.cfm?page=4

news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have searched but can't find exactly where the 26 inch wheel came from
>before it was used in the early seventies by the ATB pioneers. I believe it
>came from Schwinn Black Phantom, which seems to have been a "boy's" version
>of a larger "Cruiser." Could someone help me out here:
>
>What bicycle(s) popularized the 26 inch wheel before it was adopted by the
>ATB community? Any knowledge or speculation on why it became the standard
>ATB wheel? Were any balloon tires available for 700c wheels in the early
>seventies?
>
>Which came first, the tire or the ATB?

The 26" balloon tire was standard issue on basically all the classic American
"fat tire" bikes. Any full sized bicycle shaped object that was made in America
had those tires. If you went into a store and asked for a "bicycle tire" with
no adjectives or qualifications that is what you would've been handed.

Now finding aluminum rims in that size was special, but the tires weren't.

Ron

<[email protected]> may have said:

>I have searched but can't find exactly where the 26 inch wheel came from
>before it was used in the early seventies by the ATB pioneers. I believe it
>came from Schwinn Black Phantom, which seems to have been a "boy's" version
>of a larger "Cruiser." Could someone help me out here:
>
>What bicycle(s) popularized the 26 inch wheel before it was adopted by the
>ATB community?

The 26"/559 rim was the dominant size for the "balloon tire" bikes of
the era from WWII through the 1960s, and was already common prior to
the war. Most US makers had multiple models, Schwinn among them. By
the mid-60s, the three common sizes of adult bike in the US were using
either the 26"/559 rim, the EA3/590 rim, and the 27"/635 rim. The
wide availability and ruggedness of the 26"/559 bikes were prime
factors in their choice by Gary Fisher and his cohorts when they
started to popularize "mountain biking" as an activity. (This is a
fancy way of saying that Fisher and his accomplices had lots of cheap
26" bikes available to bash around; the EA3 and 27" wheels didn't have
wide enough tires to be useful.)

> Any knowledge or speculation on why it became the standard
>ATB wheel?

Price, availability, and suitability at first, and then tradition
later. The early mountain bikers were working with what they
had...which was largely old 26" cruisers with 559 rims.

>Were any balloon tires available for 700c wheels in the early
>seventies?

Wider-than-38mm tires for the 700c have never been common in the US
market, and have only recently become something other than a rarity.
They still do not reach the widths of the knobbies used on the typical
mtb today. In part this is due to the fact that the typical 700c rim
is too narow to support such a tire.

>Which came first, the tire or the ATB?

The 559 tire size predated the ATB (or mtb in the jargon more common
here) by more than 40 years if you accept that the mtb did not exist
prior to its "official" debut. On the other hand, people have been
riding down dirt paths on bicycles since the very first, and while the
specific combination of features which characterizes the modern mtb
(near-flat handlebars, knobby fat tires, wide gearing range, etc) may
not have been common previously, this is not to say that they were
never seen before the mountain bike's advent.

Essentially, the one unique characteristic that the early "mountian
bike" had over its predecssors was the name. Everything since is
simply a refinement of what was already available.

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Yup. I'll add (here) that the first *lightweight* 26" rims were made

by Keith
> Bontrager, from cut-down 700c road racing rims.
>
> Matt O.

Depends on your definition of "light weight". I think there were 26"
aluminum rims made (by Araya and Ukai) for the "BMX cruiser" market
that predated the Bontrager rims. They were 1/3 the weight of the
Schwinn steel rims.

Jeff

NiteRider wrote:

> Thing was, back then, downhill stability was paramount. 19 inch
> chainstays were common, as were 69 degree head and seat angles. The
> Trek 850 had 18 inch stays that were considered daringly short.

> Damn, it's hard to believe that was almost 25 years ago. It's
> depressing to realize that today's college students never knew a time
> when there weren't mountain bikes.

Early MTBs were made from bikes intended to carry newspapers. What's really
depressing is that no college age person today is able to remember doing that.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Early MTBs were made from bikes intended to carry newspapers. What's really
> depressing is that no college age person today is able to remember doing that.
>
> Matt O.

There's only so many paper routes available; my family had the same one
for 12 years, if it wasn't for 2 older brothers I might never have had
one either.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:41:41 -0500, S R Sharp <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> Early MTBs were made from bikes intended to carry newspapers. What's really
>> depressing is that no college age person today is able to remember doing that.
>>

>There's only so many paper routes available; my family had the same one
>for 12 years, if it wasn't for 2 older brothers I might never have had
>one either.

In many major cities, the number of paper routes available that can be
delivered from a bike is zero. In some cities, the newspapers will no
longer hire minors for delivery. And, lest we forget, the traditional
paper route was an afternoon job; most of the surviving daily papers
are now early-AM publications.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:11:04 -0600, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:41:41 -0500, S R Sharp <[email protected]> may
>have said:
>
>>Matt O'Toole wrote:
>>
>>> Early MTBs were made from bikes intended to carry newspapers. What's really
>>> depressing is that no college age person today is able to remember doing that.
>>>

>>There's only so many paper routes available; my family had the same one
>>for 12 years, if it wasn't for 2 older brothers I might never have had
>>one either.

>In many major cities, the number of paper routes available that can be
>delivered from a bike is zero. In some cities, the newspapers will no
>longer hire minors for delivery. And, lest we forget, the traditional
>paper route was an afternoon job; most of the surviving daily papers
>are now early-AM publications.

No Sir, the traditional paper route was a get your ass out at 5 in the morning
and deliver the damn things job. Or at least mine was. Had a daily, a weekly and
the local freebie.

Ron