Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Hit by car, from behind

Started by BigBen · · Last activity · 65 posts · 1,456 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 August 2006
Last activity
11 August 2006
Original author
BigBen
Posts
65
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,456
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–65 of 65
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Werehatrack <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:11:04 GMT, [email hidden] (BigBen)

    Quoted message said:

    what on earth can you do, in broad daylight, to make cagers more
    attenttive to us???

    If it was practical, an interference generator that would hijack cell
    phone communications for about a radius of 50 yards, replacing the
    cell incoming signal with a looping "EYES ON THE ROAD!", would be my
    number one wish-list item.

    Sadly, it would probably be intensely illegal in most jurisdictions.

    I know any number of cagers who would pay to have one of these mounted
    discreetly in their cage, too.

    Show of hands?

  2. Jay Beattie said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:

    You don't just sue for costs. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

    P.S. -- you cannot get compensation for injuries that might have
    happened. They really have to happen. That is the extreme beauty of
    our legal system and what differntiates it from politics. -- Jay
    Beattie.

    Almost killing me is "attempted murder" when it's intentional.

    Doing it accidentally is just as bad, and a lot worse than just
    the physical injuries you left me with.

    --Blair

  3. Bill Sornson said:

    Was the OP "run over"? I only skimmed the thread, but my impression was he
    was struck by a side-view mirror and that caused him to crash. I get mad at
    careless drivers, too, but I think the punishment should fit the offense.

    The offense was "I don't care if you live or die, my car is bigger than
    your bike therefore I own the road."

    And does imprisoning someone for six to thirty months for
    taking a television set from their neighbor's house sound like
    it "fits the offense"? No. But we do it all the time.

    I personally put a guy in jail two months ago because he
    threatened a police officer by aiming his car at him. Nobody
    was hit, nobody was hurt. The guy will be in jail for a minimum
    of 18 years because of a 6-second moment of bad driving.
    Does that punishment fit the crime?

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any indication the driver did this deliberately?

    Define "deliberately". When operating a motor vehicle, you're always
    doing something deliberate. You have a duty to maintain full control
    and full attentiveness. It is impossible not to see all around you
    (despite
    the ill-defined term "blind spot"😉. Something deliberate was going on
    there, and the result was exactly what every driver is told will be the
    result of doing something deliberate other than what you promised
    you would do when you applied for your license.

    Not to make this too sensationalistic, but imagine firing a gun on
    a crowded street while looking at the radio or checking your
    makeup in the mirror or looking over your shoulder to see if that
    little dog was a terrier or a poodle.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet you'd
    recommend the OP lie in wait for the guy to leave his house and run him
    over -- and not leave him able to ID anyone? (Your quote was: "Wait in
    your car by his house, and when he comes out to get the paper, run HIS ass
    over. Just don't leave him conscious enough to identify you." --Blair)

    Yup. In the absence of a justice system willing to do justice,
    justice is thine to exact. That's what that system leaves you.

    Trying to avoid resorting to that is WHY
    we here in this country have a justice system that is willing to do
    justice (more often than most). People wiser than I (yes, there
    have been a few) have recognized that justice is about balance.
    That's where that "let the punishment fit the crime" thing comes
    from. But clearly it's applied ineptly in both directions.

    I don't get why much of the world doesn't understand it. They're
    too busy rationalizing their assumption that they're too civilized
    for justice, I guess.

    Quoted message said:

    Horrible advice, and like Squid said it's not too bright to put it on
    Usenet.

    Why? Do you think it's illegal to tell someone in another country
    that they have every right to compensation even if their country
    hasn't recognized their right to compensation?

    It's not even illegal in this country to say you want to assassinate
    the President. Though there are plenty of people who have bought
    into that myth. You may get a visit from the SS to ascertain the
    chances you're actually going to carry it out, but they're within
    their rights to ask anyone any question they want to ask. And
    you're within yours to refuse to answer.

    Quoted message said:

    Out. BS

    Interesting signoff.

    --Blair
    "Mine's only a little less susceptible to malapropism."

  4. Hi,

    At Wednesday 02 August 2006 21:20 in rec.bicycles.tech Werehatrack said:

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:11:04 GMT, [email hidden] (BigBen)

    Quoted message said:

    what on earth can you do, in broad daylight, to make cagers more
    attenttive to us???

    If it was practical, an interference generator that would hijack cell
    phone communications for about a radius of 50 yards, replacing the
    cell incoming signal with a looping "EYES ON THE ROAD!", would be my
    number one wish-list item.

    I've thought of this, too, as have many. But I came to the conclusion that
    the effect would not be what you want. People would not simply set the
    phone aside and attend to driving, but rather would become even more
    narrowly focused on the phone and why it was malfunctioning and trying to
    get a call through again. The most likely outcome is /more/ vehicular
    mayhem, not less.

    Quoted message said:

    Sadly, it would probably be intensely illegal in most jurisdictions.

    Definitely illegal in the U.S., as already mentioned.

    RRS

  5. "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Footnotes:
    1) I ride with a mirror, to keep an eye back there - but if I move over,
    it's going to be at the last moment or so. No value to me or other
    cyclists to show that I can be intimidated off the roadway.

    2) Annoyingly, while the cars do move left to pass, they don't seem to be
    able to register blind turns or oncoming traffic. Today I had a Semi
    Gravel Truck pass me well over the centerline, *nearly* taking out an
    oncoming garbage truck. All on a road with a minimum of 1/2 mile
    visibility in both directions. I'm not sure if the flying debris would
    have hit me or not, though the collision would have been spectacular - but
    it pays to be alert in these situations.

    Mark J.

    You mention you have a mirror. My rule when riding 2-way highways with no
    real shoulder - when I have approaching (oncoming) traffic in the left lane,
    I'll look in the mirror and make a judgement call to see if there is also
    traffic coming from behind such that the three of us might meet together. In
    this case - I brake and just get off the road - whatever kind of shoulder
    there is (usually there is enough to make a progressive in-control stop).
    This gives both motorists (usually two semis) some breathing room when
    passing each other at 100km/h. Not to mention the lowered risk of becoming
    hamburger for myself. And no doubt the drivers will feel relieved as well.

    If the highway is so busy that I'd be doing this constantly - then I take
    this as a sign that I shouldn't be riding it since I would just be worrying
    about my ass too much.

    I think this is sensible, but others might call it weak. Also I'm rarely
    going faster than 40km/h on the flats, so losing momentum is not something I
    worry about. We each have our own comfort level.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.