Road Cycling · Public discussion

Hobby cyclists (long)

Started by Dukester · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,110 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 May 2005
Last activity
18 May 2005
Original author
Dukester
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,110
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bill Sornson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Roger Zoul writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmm... I guess I'm a bike snob... every time I ride, I train... what
    am I training for? My next ride!

    So when will you go on a real ride, the one for which you seem to be
    perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are also
    preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I think you
    might be missing the main event.

    Quoted message said:

    Wow. Pompous, judgmental AND condescending in one short paragraph. Well
    done, JB.

    Perhaps but also to a certain extent true. If you are gearing up for a race
    you need to train, if you are gearing up for a particularly long ride (long
    for you, different people will have different definitions of long) you need
    to train. If you are just cycling for general fitness or fun why can't you
    just say you are going for a bike ride as opposed to claiming it is a training
    ride. Consider you don't hear joggers talking about going for a training
    run unless they are prepping for a marathon or something.

    --
    Bill

    --
    Bill

  2. William McHale said:
    Bill Sornson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Roger Zoul writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Hmm... I guess I'm a bike snob... every time I ride, I train...
    > what am I training for? My next ride!

    So when will you go on a real ride, the one for which you seem to be
    perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are
    also preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I
    think you might be missing the main event.

    Quoted message said:

    Wow. Pompous, judgmental AND condescending in one short paragraph.
    Well done, JB.

    Perhaps but also to a certain extent true. If you are gearing up for
    a race you need to train, if you are gearing up for a particularly
    long ride (long for you, different people will have different
    definitions of long) you need to train. If you are just cycling for
    general fitness or fun why can't you just say you are going for a
    bike ride as opposed to claiming it is a training ride. Consider you
    don't hear joggers talking about going for a training
    run unless they are prepping for a marathon or something.

    So if someone talked down to said jogger, with, say, the following, they
    wouldn't be an ass?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "So when will you go on a real {run}, the one for which you seem to be
    perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are
    also preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I
    think you might be missing the main event."

    I stand by my assessment: pompous, judgmental AND condescending.

  3. Bill Sornson said:
    William McHale said:
    Bill Sornson said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > Roger Zoul writes:

    Quoted message said:

    >> Hmm... I guess I'm a bike snob... every time I ride, I train...
    >> what am I training for? My next ride!
    >
    > So when will you go on a real ride, the one for which you seem to be
    > perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    > experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are
    > also preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I
    > think you might be missing the main event.

    Quoted message said:

    Wow. Pompous, judgmental AND condescending in one short paragraph.
    Well done, JB.

    Perhaps but also to a certain extent true. If you are gearing up for
    a race you need to train, if you are gearing up for a particularly
    long ride (long for you, different people will have different
    definitions of long) you need to train. If you are just cycling for
    general fitness or fun why can't you just say you are going for a
    bike ride as opposed to claiming it is a training ride. Consider you
    don't hear joggers talking about going for a training
    run unless they are prepping for a marathon or something.

    Quoted message said:

    So if someone talked down to said jogger, with, say, the following, they
    wouldn't be an ass?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > "So when will you go on a real {run}, the one for which you seem to be
    > perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    > experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are
    > also preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I
    > think you might be missing the main event."

    Quoted message said:

    I stand by my assessment: pompous, judgmental AND condescending.

    If the jogger is constantly talking about going on training runs then I think
    it is perfectly acceptable for me to ask what is he training for. The basic
    point I was making earlier was that joggers don't talk like cyclists (at
    least not in my experience). They just say they are going for a run and that
    is it. If they claim to be in training it is usually for some well identified
    goal such as a 10K or a Marathon.

    --
    Bill

  4. William McHale said:
    Bill Sornson said:
    William McHale said:

    Bill Sornson <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > [email hidden] wrote:
    >> Roger Zoul writes:

    >>> Hmm... I guess I'm a bike snob... every time I ride, I train...
    >>> what am I training for? My next ride!
    >>
    >> So when will you go on a real ride, the one for which you seem to
    >> be perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    >> experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are
    >> also preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I
    >> think you might be missing the main event.

    > Wow. Pompous, judgmental AND condescending in one short paragraph.
    > Well done, JB.

    Perhaps but also to a certain extent true. If you are gearing up
    for a race you need to train, if you are gearing up for a
    particularly long ride (long for you, different people will have
    different definitions of long) you need to train. If you are just
    cycling for general fitness or fun why can't you just say you are
    going for a bike ride as opposed to claiming it is a training ride.
    Consider you don't hear joggers talking about going for a training
    run unless they are prepping for a marathon or something.

    Quoted message said:

    So if someone talked down to said jogger, with, say, the following,
    they wouldn't be an ass?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> "So when will you go on a real {run}, the one for which you seem
    >> to be perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a
    >> real experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you
    >> are
    >> also preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I
    >> think you might be missing the main event."

    Quoted message said:

    I stand by my assessment: pompous, judgmental AND condescending.

    If the jogger is constantly talking about going on training runs then
    I think it is perfectly acceptable for me to ask what is he training
    for. The basic point I was making earlier was that joggers don't
    talk like cyclists (at least not in my experience). They just say
    they are going for a run and that is it. If they claim to be in
    training it is usually for some well identified goal such as a 10K or
    a Marathon.

    Go back in the thread (or just look above). Roger made one little remark,
    mostly in jest or tongue-in-cheek. I highly doubt that he /really/ calls
    his everyday rides "training rides". I think his point was he that he goes
    on rides to keep up his fitness so that he can go on rides (and so on).
    Then along came judge/jury/Jobst...

    OK done.

    BS

  5. Bill Sornson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Roger Zoul writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmm... I guess I'm a bike snob... every time I ride, I train... what
    am I training for? My next ride!

    So when will you go on a real ride, the one for which you seem to be
    perpetually training? Somewhere in life there should be a real
    experience, not just the anticipation of one. I suppose you are also
    preparing for life, day by day. If that is the method, I think you
    might be missing the main event.

    Wow. Pompous, judgmental AND condescending in one short paragraph.
    Well done, JB.

    Damn, some of y'all are thin skinned!

    Matt O.

  6. Mike Kruger said:
    jhas said:


    I see this sort of thing all the time. People look first to see what
    brand of bike you are on. Last week I was riding to work (16 miles
    each way, but who's counting?), and I had stopped for a light. A guy
    at the nearby filling station was just finishing fueling up his Volvo
    wagon as I rode up. He had an empty bike rack on his car, so as I
    pulled to a stop I said "good morning!" He didn't even look at me.
    Instead, he tilted his head to get a good read of my down tube and
    then, presumably because my bike wasn't worthy of a conversation, he
    just got into his car.

    Yeah, there's some snoot in all sports and it's definitely
    true I get a different reaction when I'm dressed in sweats and
    an old windbreaker on the old "bad weather" bike than when I'm
    in black shorts and a bike club jersey on my nicer road bike.

    That said, sometimes people are checking out the bike as a way
    of starting conversation. On my commuter bike, people will ask
    about the generator, for example. They are only mildly
    curious -- it's just a converation starter.

    The O.P. should just lighten up. If somebody else judges you
    by how nice a bike you are riding, so what? Their attitude is
    their loss, not yours. The world is, unfortunately, full of
    A**h***s, and bike snobs are a mild, relatively harmless
    variety in the grand scheme of A**h***dom..

    That said, I think the O.P.'s tormentor is probably a nice
    enough guy with imperfect social skills. I'd guess he was
    trying to be friendly, but he was just very clumsy about it.
    The O.P.'s attitude probably wasn't helping any.

    I grew up with a lot of kids who were exactly like that. They don't know how to
    relate to other people except to judge them by their posessions and brand names.
    This is worse in wealthy, trendy areas where families have the means and
    inclination to always buy the best of the best, or the coolest of the cool.
    This isn't bad in itself, but kids lack the perspective of what's really
    important. Some never grow beyond this superficiality, even after they have
    kids themselves. Imagine what *their* kids are like!

    Matt O.

    "From Newport Beach, but neither wealthy nor trendy."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.