holes in frame help

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by lancerfan119, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. lancerfan119

    lancerfan119 Guest

    does anybody know how to stratigically place holes of one was to drill a
    torker DX 06 frame, or any frame
    is it worth it, or should i get a nimbus 2 frame?

    --
    lancerfan119

    lookin for more people to muni with in the bay area or reno/tahoe are
    lancerfan119's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9590

  2. DK

    DK Guest

    lancerfan119 wrote:
    > does anybody know how to stratigically place holes of one was to drill a
    > torker DX 06 frame, or any frame
    > is it worth it, or should i get a nimbus 2 frame?

    If I were you, I'd give the holes-in-frame thing a try. I doubt it will
    make it too much lighter, and be conservative in hole size and
    placement. At the worst it will look cool.

    --
    DK

    *sunday bombs
    *
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

  3. Don't drill it. Drilling stuff like a frame isn't easy... As the drill
    penetrates the steel, it will raise a burr that will be hell to knock
    off. I tried drilling a frame, and it was just hell. Unless you have
    the right clamps to hold down the frame, and a bunch of skill on a
    milwaulkee hole shooter or equivalent drill, don't try this. If you
    want to use a drill press, hold the frame with clamps. It's suicidal to
    do this with ones hands.

    Just get a Yuni frame. The weight savings from drilling are negligible
    anyways.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  4. markf

    markf Guest

    don't drill a frame unless (as mentioned) you really really know what
    you're doing. just ride with the heavier frame. unless you're doing
    trials it won't make much of a difference, and will only make you
    stronger.

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  5. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    nah it wont be hard ot get burr wont be hard to get off, run it likly
    agaist a bench grinder wheel or on a big belt sander.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper

    "My nuts are allways loose, i have to twist them with my fingers"
    -Spencer
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  6. Or get a countersinking bit and use that to finish off the hole (or maybe if
    you're careful, the tip of a really big drill bit... but be careful it
    doesn't skitter off)

    Cheers,
    Mark

  7. Evan Byrne wrote:
    > nah it wont be hard ot get burr wont be hard to get off, run it likly
    > agaist a bench grinder wheel or on a big belt sander.

    I don't think you understand or have drilled a frame before. The burr
    isn't raised, per se, it is the final section of the hole once the
    drillbit has broken through. I've deburred parts, but this burr just
    grabs the spiral of the flutes and is wicked hard to break. You can't
    get a bench grinder or belit sander into the hole to knock it off.
    Also, evan, just so you know, a c'sink or large drill bit is what you
    generally deburr with for holes, not a grinder.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  8. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  9. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    It really won't be worth it, you might shave a few grams at best and
    will quite possibly seriously compromise your frame. Having done some
    work lightening racing cars I have experience of how little mass
    cutting holes in things really removes, a decent set of pedals or an
    alloy seatpost will do much more for you, albeit i admit and much
    greater cost.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  10. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    The only unicycle frames you should drill are bladed ones, like the
    Schwinn and Semcycle Deluxe. Drilling a tubular frame will make it a
    lot weaker, and not noticeably lighter.

    I've drilled a couple of Schwinn frames, and as long as you don't go
    too big, it won't hurt their strength unless you really abuse them. My
    45" big wheel, though not really a Schwinn, has 7/8" holes all the way
    down. Plus an old racing uni I did had 1" holes in it. On that one I
    also drilled out the seat post, with seat post holes all the way up,
    and same-sized holes front-to-back.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine