home-made moulton

Erik Sandblom

Guest
Hello

Snce I got my Brompton, I have started to appreciate British small-wheeled
bicycles. Dahon is getting in on the act this year.
http://www.dahon.com/intl/hammerhead7.htm

I have a friend who has a separable small-wheeled bike from the seventies.
Could it be Moultonised, by getting good tyres such as Schwalbe Stelvio
and some sort of suspension? One of those suspension hubs perhaps?
http://www.pantourhub.com/

I don't know what transmission it has, but it could probably be equipped
with a derailleur and cassette. Would I be correct in assuming that would
be lighter and more efficient than an internal hub gear?

Erik Sandblom

--
my site is EriksRailNews.com

Erik Sandblom wrote:

> I don't know what transmission it has, but it could probably be equipped
> with a derailleur and cassette. Would I be correct in assuming that
> would be lighter and more efficient than an internal hub gear?

Potentially, yes, but is optimum efficiency actually what's wanted?
Hubs are far more efficient at, for example, minimising pratting
about cleaning and oiling work and they get through fewer chains
and sprockets, which might be more desirable than a small %
increase in Ooomph.

Note that Moulton have been using hub gears on their bikes for
years, and had a hub/derailleur combo years before "DualDrive" was
mass marketed by SRAM.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:12:29 +0200, Erik Sandblom wrote:

> I have a friend who has a separable small-wheeled bike from the seventies.
> Could it be Moultonised, by getting good tyres such as Schwalbe Stelvio
> and some sort of suspension?

The 1960's "F-Frame" Moultons change hands for a fiver at car boot sales
and village fetes. They will need a strip down and in a few cases a bit
of welding (some rear forks on the Series One), but you're starting with
something designed for the job, which has a comprehensive support network.

Adding suspension to something that wasn't designed for it is going to
cost.

Mike

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:06:24 +0100, Mike Causer wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:12:29 +0200, Erik Sandblom wrote:
>

>> I have a friend who has a separable small-wheeled bike from the seventies.
>> Could it be Moultonised, by getting good tyres such as Schwalbe Stelvio
>> and some sort of suspension?

> The 1960's "F-Frame" Moultons change hands for a fiver at car boot sales
> and village fetes. They will need a strip down and in a few cases a bit
> of welding (some rear forks on the Series One), but you're starting with
> something designed for the job, which has a comprehensive support network.
>
> Adding suspension to something that wasn't designed for it is going to
> cost.

Also even though "F-frame" Moultons look quite simple they are the product of
tremendous design and research. I think that you are right that if the
original poster or their friend would like a project then getting an F-frame
Moulton and doing it up would make for a much better finished product.

Small wheels and suspension are the things that Moultons are associated with
but there is much more to the design.

Perusing this book:

<http://www.theclassicmoulton.co.uk/>

Along with Tony Hadland's "The Moulton Bicycle"

will reveal a great deal about the lovely F-framed Moultons.
--
Patrick
My bikes: Moulton AM7 and two Moulton APBs - an R18 and a "mongrel"