General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Homemade "stove-top" stuffing

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 19 posts · 508 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 March 2006
Last activity
23 March 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
508
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Here are a couple to try:

    http://www.recipezaar.com/152835

    http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/17650/home-made-stove-top-stuffing.html

  3. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all
    the sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled
    into eggs.

    Thanks

    Pretty simple, really. Dry out some bread. I like to use cornbread for
    stuffing but you can use any sort of bread you'd like. You can cut it into
    cubes or crumble it, whichever you would prefer. Mix it together in a
    plastic bag along with with dried parsley flakes, dried sage, dehydrated
    onion, dehydrated garlic flakes or garlic powder, chicken boullion powder &
    pepper as desired.

    I'm not sure if you're saying you use this boxed stuff dry in scrambled eggs
    or if you reconstitute it (so to speak). If you want to serve it "wet" like
    actual stuffing, add some chicken broth and butter and heat it up gently.

    Jill

  4. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks


    Would drying bread cubes and adding dried herbs, spices and some dry
    boullion powder work to make something comparable? Or something like
    croutons which are coated first in a melted oil or butter and seasoned
    before toasting slowly work?
    Goomba

  5. [email hidden] wrote in news:1142910004.012374.21300
    @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Title: Saucepan Stuffing Mix
    Categories: Vegan
    Yield: 5 servings MM#: 11276

    6 sl Whole grain bread (1 1/2 oz) -cubed and dries in a 250
    -degree oven for 45 to 60 -minutes
    1/3 c Pecans;chopped 2 tb Dried parsley flakes
    2 ts Poultry seasoning 1/2 ts Dried rosemary
    1/2 ts Dried ground fennel seed 1/4 ts Salt (opt)

    Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

    Attach these instructions: To prepare, heat 1 cup water to boiling in a
    large saucepan. Remove from heat, and add stuffing mix. Stir well and
    add a bit more water if necessary to make hte stuffing barely moist
    without being mushy. Return to heat, cover tightly, and steam on low heat
    for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.

    Total calories per serving: 186 Fat: 7 grams

    --

    Charles
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved
    at the same level of thinking we were at when we
    created them. Albert Einstein

  6. 'm not sure if you're saying you use this boxed stuff dry in scrambled
    eggs
    or if you reconstitute it (so to speak). If you want to serve it "wet"
    like
    actual stuffing, add some chicken broth and butter and heat it up
    gently.

    Jill

    Yikes!

    I can't imagine eating this stuff dry!

    I use the left-over stuffing in scrambled eggs, like homefries or hash
    brown potatoes.

  7. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Sorry, I don't make it... but if I wanted to I'd read the box to see
    what ingredients are in it that I DO want to put into my body. Other
    than that, you could just make regular stuffing and bake it.
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  8. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

  9. ~patches~ <[email hidden]> wrote in news:121vq4p2ik6vq18
    @corp.supernews.com:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    This site demands you use javascript. Beware,

    Andy

  10. ~patches~ <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    Do you make your own bread? I don't (unfortunately and can't).

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  11. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    ~patches~ <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    Do you make your own bread? I don't (unfortunately and can't).

    Michael

    Michael, I make my own bread. Most times I make the dough in the
    breadmaker then bake the bread in the oven.

  12. ~patches~ said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    I would avoid that recipe like the plague.....calling for three
    chicken bouillon cubes is enough salt to choke a horse.

  13. Ward Abbott said:
    ~patches~ said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    I would avoid that recipe like the plague.....calling for three
    chicken bouillon cubes is enough salt to choke a horse.


    Sorry but I didn't read through the recipe. I had that website
    bookmarked for a couple other recipes like the Catellina one and saw
    that there was one for the stuffing. I had the topsecret site
    bookmarked too but now you have to buy the recipes 🙁

  14. Ward Abbott said:


    I would avoid that recipe like the plague.....calling for three chicken bouillon cubes

    Well then don't use them!

    ---
    "Some people are imbeciles with no common sense." - Unknown

  15. On Tue 21 Mar 2006 06:27:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ward
    Abbott?

    Quoted message said:
    ~patches~ said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all the
    sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled into
    eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    I would avoid that recipe like the plague.....calling for three
    chicken bouillon cubes is enough salt to choke a horse.

    Well, first off, no one asked you to make it or eat it.

    Secondly, there are low-salt versions of bouillon cubes and instant
    bouillon. There IS a choice.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  16. On Tue 21 Mar 2006 04:53:34a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

    Quoted message said:

    ~patches~ <[email hidden]> wrote in news:121vq4p2ik6vq18
    @corp.supernews.com:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have a recipe?

    I use the box mix occasionally, (forgive me), but I don't want all
    the sodium and processed ingredients. It's especially good scrambled
    into eggs.

    Thanks

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    This site demands you use javascript. Beware,

    Andy

    I use javascript all the time, but have it well protected, and I never have
    problems.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  17. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:48:38 -0800, Ben Franklin <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Well then don't use them!

    The OP was LOOKING for LOW sodium.

    Your life is determined not so much by what life
    brings you as by the attitude you bring to life.

    Not so much by what happens to you as by the way
    your mind looks at what happens.

    Circumstances do color life but you have been given
    the mind to choose what the colors shall be.

    John Homer Miller

  18. "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue 21 Mar 2006 06:27:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ward
    Abbott?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would avoid that recipe like the plague.....calling for three
    chicken bouillon cubes is enough salt to choke a horse.

    Well, first off, no one asked you to make it or eat it.

    Secondly, there are low-salt versions of bouillon cubes and instant
    bouillon. There IS a choice.

    Exactly. He'd asked for the recipe so he could make it lower
    sodium. Obviously replace the saltier boullion with reduced salt,
    it's a no brainer. He got the recipe he asked for, up to him to
    tweak it.

    nancy

  19. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here's one recipe
    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id259.htm

    I would avoid that recipe like the plague.....calling for three
    chicken bouillon cubes is enough salt to choke a horse.

    Well, first off, no one asked you to make it or eat it.

    Secondly, there are low-salt versions of bouillon cubes and instant
    bouillon. There IS a choice.

    Or you could always eliminated the bouillon and substitute chicken stock
    for the water.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.