General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Homemade vanilla ice cream?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,877 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 September 2005
Last activity
23 September 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,877
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    Kevin

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste,
    a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    Kevin

    Is it the taste that's lacking, or the texture? Even if it's the latter,
    I still think it's your recipe, not your machine.

    I have no idea what church lady ice cream tastes like. Did they use
    vanilla beans (black specks)? Did you? Did they use eggs (was it white
    or yellowish)?

    You can try some different recipes. An eggless one would be the most
    radical difference. (Here's a basic uncooked Philly-style one:
    http://cake.allrecipes.com/AZ/VanillaIceCream.asp)

    You're probably battling against nostalgia here, and that's a tough
    battle to win.

    -T

  3. On Thu 08 Sep 2005 07:37:48p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    Yep, you're right. Ice cream has been discussed to death here, but then,
    so has everything else. :-) We just keep doing it.

    Quoted message said:

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    This might be a tall order. I mean, we weren't there. There are thousands
    of recipes for vanlla ice cream, many of which made by the little old
    ladies at the church. They made the recipe, their husbands and kids
    cranked the freezers. When I've tried to perfect a recipe for something I
    remembered from childhood, it has sometimes taken years. Be prepared! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    The method or equipment for freezing the ice cream has far less to do with
    the final product than the recipe. Still, the freezing method/equipment
    can make some difference. I'd try to nail down the recipe first.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    A very good recipe, but most likely very wrong. It's highly doubtful that
    the ice cream you remember had any whipping cream in it, and very possibly
    no eggs. One reason was economics, as canned milk products were less
    expensive. Another is that many recipes including eggs required that they
    be cooked into a custard with milk - time consuming.

    More likely, those ice creams made for church socials were made with
    evaporated milk, regular whole milk, sugar, and vanilla. Also, very
    possibly, sweetened condensed milk. Remember, this wasn't gourmet ice
    cream, although it tasted pretty darned good to most folks.

    Here is one "no cook" vanilla ice cream that does use eggs, but note that
    they are not cooked into a custard. This was very common years ago. If
    you're worried about salmonella, you can use pasteurized eggs.

    6 eggs
    1 c. sugar
    1 (14 oz.) can condensed milk
    2 (13 oz.) cans evaporated milk
    2 tbsp. vanilla
    whole Milk to fill ice cream freeze

    Beat eggs with mixer about 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, then add
    condensed milk and beat for another 2-3 minutes. Add evaporated milk and
    vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Pour into ice cream freezer and add milk to
    freezer line and freeze.

    Here'a another that uses no eggs, and it does have some whipping cream in
    it, but most of the dairy is from condensed,evaporated, and whole milk.

    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 pint heavy cream -- (whipping cream)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk -- (eagle brand)
    1 can evaporated milk -- (carnation)
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    while milk -- to make 3 qts total

    Add all ingredients except the milk to a mixing bowl and mix well. Pour
    into ice cream freezer and add milk to make a total of 3 quarts (to fill
    line in a 4 qt. mixer) of liquid.

    Quoted message said:

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    I think the key flavor you're missing is coming from the canned milks. If
    you determined the ice cream freezer you bought isn't giving you quite what
    you want, you can get units like the old hand cranked machines that use a
    motor, or with the crank.

    HTH

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

  4. My husband has often talked about the ice-cream his grandmother used to
    make. It was probably similar to this church lady type one. Of course I
    have no idea where to even start making it. So I might try these recipes
    myself. But I don't have any type of ice-cream maker, isn't there a way of
    beating it regularly and freezing in between to make ice-cream as well?

    Jen

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 08 Sep 2005 07:37:48p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    Yep, you're right. Ice cream has been discussed to death here, but then,
    so has everything else. :-) We just keep doing it.

    Quoted message said:

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    This might be a tall order. I mean, we weren't there. There are
    thousands
    of recipes for vanlla ice cream, many of which made by the little old
    ladies at the church. They made the recipe, their husbands and kids
    cranked the freezers. When I've tried to perfect a recipe for something I
    remembered from childhood, it has sometimes taken years. Be prepared! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    The method or equipment for freezing the ice cream has far less to do with
    the final product than the recipe. Still, the freezing method/equipment
    can make some difference. I'd try to nail down the recipe first.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    A very good recipe, but most likely very wrong. It's highly doubtful that
    the ice cream you remember had any whipping cream in it, and very possibly
    no eggs. One reason was economics, as canned milk products were less
    expensive. Another is that many recipes including eggs required that they
    be cooked into a custard with milk - time consuming.

    More likely, those ice creams made for church socials were made with
    evaporated milk, regular whole milk, sugar, and vanilla. Also, very
    possibly, sweetened condensed milk. Remember, this wasn't gourmet ice
    cream, although it tasted pretty darned good to most folks.

    Here is one "no cook" vanilla ice cream that does use eggs, but note that
    they are not cooked into a custard. This was very common years ago. If
    you're worried about salmonella, you can use pasteurized eggs.

    6 eggs
    1 c. sugar
    1 (14 oz.) can condensed milk
    2 (13 oz.) cans evaporated milk
    2 tbsp. vanilla
    whole Milk to fill ice cream freeze

    Beat eggs with mixer about 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, then add
    condensed milk and beat for another 2-3 minutes. Add evaporated milk and
    vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Pour into ice cream freezer and add milk to
    freezer line and freeze.

    Here'a another that uses no eggs, and it does have some whipping cream in
    it, but most of the dairy is from condensed,evaporated, and whole milk.

    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 pint heavy cream -- (whipping cream)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk -- (eagle brand)
    1 can evaporated milk -- (carnation)
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    while milk -- to make 3 qts total

    Add all ingredients except the milk to a mixing bowl and mix well. Pour
    into ice cream freezer and add milk to make a total of 3 quarts (to fill
    line in a 4 qt. mixer) of liquid.

    Quoted message said:

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    I think the key flavor you're missing is coming from the canned milks. If
    you determined the ice cream freezer you bought isn't giving you quite
    what
    you want, you can get units like the old hand cranked machines that use a
    motor, or with the crank.

    HTH

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

  5. Jen said:

    My husband has often talked about the ice-cream his grandmother used to
    make. It was probably similar to this church lady type one. Of course I
    have no idea where to even start making it. So I might try these recipes
    myself. But I don't have any type of ice-cream maker, isn't there a way of
    beating it regularly and freezing in between to make ice-cream as well?

    This recipe uses raw eggs, but that's never bothered me. It's very good
    ice cream, courtesy of Miche in NZ:

    VANILLA ICE CREAM Yield: about 1 1/2 litres/quarts

    3 eggs, separated
    3/4 cup caster sugar, divided in half
    1 1/2 cups cream
    1 1/2 teaspoons good vanilla essence/extract

    Beat the egg yolks with half the sugar in a large bowl until very thick
    and light in colour. Set aside. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks
    form; add the other half of the sugar in two lots, beating well in
    between, to form a meringue. The meringue mixture should end up very
    stiff and glossy. Gently fold the meringue into the egg yolk mixture.
    Set aside. Whip the cream with the vanilla essence until very thick.
    Gently fold into the egg mixture. Pour into a 2-litre/quart container,
    cover and freeze until solid (several hours, preferably overnight).

    --
    http://www.manilowfund.com/

    "You Deserve a Break Today" by Barry Manilow

  6. On Fri 09 Sep 2005 01:06:59a, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    My husband has often talked about the ice-cream his grandmother used to
    make. It was probably similar to this church lady type one. Of course
    I have no idea where to even start making it. So I might try these
    recipes myself. But I don't have any type of ice-cream maker, isn't
    there a way of beating it regularly and freezing in between to make
    ice-cream as well?

    Jen

    Yes, and the type of recipe you want is often called "refrigerator ice
    cream" or "still frozen ice cream", as those recipes were developed when
    there was only a small freezing unit suspended inside the top section of
    refrigerators. The ice cream was frozen in the ice cube trays. Here is
    one...

    Refrigerator Ice Cream

    2 ea Eggs
    2 tb Sugar
    1/2 c Sugar
    1 c Whipping cream
    1 1/2 c Milk; whole or condensed
    1 ts Vanilla

    Instructions:

    Beat egg whites until stiff and add 2 T. sugar. Beat yolks and add rest of
    sugar. Add milk to beaten yolks then beaten whites. Whip cream added last.
    Freeze in refrigerator trays. Note: This recipe uses uncooked eggs and may
    pose a health hazard due to salmonella. Source: Union County OH

    Here is another...

    ---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

    Title: Basic Refrigerator Ice Cream
    Categories: Ice cream, Dessert
    Yield: 1 servings

    1 c Sugar
    2 ts Cornstarch
    1 qt Milk
    3 Eggs, separated
    2 ts Vanilla
    1 c Heavy cream, whipped

    Mix sugar and cornstarch in top of a double boiler and gradually stir in
    milk. Add egg yolks and beat until frothy. Set over simmering water and
    heat 15 minutes, stirring now and then at first in vanilla. Beat egg
    whites to soft peaks and fold in. Pour into 2 refrigerator trays and
    freeze until mushy. Spoon into a large bowl, beat heard until fluffy,
    then beat in cream. Spoon into 3 trays and freeze until firm. (Note:
    for extra smoothness, beat once more before freezing until firm.)

    Variations:
    Berry Ice Cream: prepare as directed but reduce vanilla to 1 tsp. and add
    2 cups any crushed, sweetened-to-taste berries (fresh, frozen, or canned)
    along with beaten egg whites.

    Banana Ice Cream: Prepare as directed but reduce vanilla to 1 tsp. and add
    2 cups pureed ripe bananas (about 6 medium-sized bananas) along with egg
    whites.

    Pineapple Ice Cream: Prepare as directed but reduce vanilla to 1 tsp. and
    add 3 (8 oz.) cans crushed pineapple (un-drained) along with egg whites.

    Peach or Apricot Ice Cream: Prepare as directed but reduce vanilla to 1/2
    tsp. and add 1/2 tsp. almond extract; mix in 2 cups peach or apricot puree
    along with beaten egg whites.

    Orange Ice Cream: Prepare custard mixture as directed, using 3/4 cup sugar
    and 3 cups milk. Add 1 (6 oz.) can thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
    and 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice; omit vanilla. Proceed as
    directed.

    Chocolate Ice Cream: Add 2 (1 oz.) squares coarsely grated unsweetened
    chocolate to hot custard mixture and stir until melted. Reduce vanilla to
    1 tsp. and proceed as directed.

    Burnt Almond Ice Cream: Prepare custard mixture as directed, using 1/2 cup
    sugar; caramelize 1/2 cup sugar and mix in along with vanilla called for.
    Proceed as directed, mixing 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted blanched
    almonds into beaten frozen mixture along with whipped cream.

    Butter Pecan Ice Cream: Prepare as directed, mixing 1 cup coarsely
    chopped, butter-browned pecans into beaten frozen mixture along with
    whipped cream.

    Pistachio Ice Cream: Prepare as directed but reduce vanilla to 1 tsp. and
    add 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Tint mixture pale green before freezing.
    Mix 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts into beaten frozen mixture
    along with whipped cream.

    Peppermint Ice Cream: Prepare as directed but omit vanilla and add 1/4
    tsp. peppermint extract; also mix 1 1/2 cups finely crushed peppermint
    candy into beaten frozen mixture along with whipped cream.

    Two general suggestions: put the bowl and beaters in the fridge or the
    freezer, whatever you have space for. The colder the utensils are, the
    less chance of everything melting when you go to beat it. Also, the
    refrigerator trays they are talking about (for those of you young enough
    to have only see the little plastic ones) are the old fashioned ice cube
    trays that were made out of aluminum or some kind of light metal. They
    had a lever that you pulled back to release the ice cubes. Remember
    those? You can often times find them at yard sales for very reasonable
    prices (like 15 cents!) cause people don't know what to do with them.
    Clean them up, take out the insert that is there to make the ice cubes,
    and use them to make the ice cream. Lacking that, any flattish, metal pan
    will do.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    Kevin

    I can't help with a recipe but I will tell you this - recreating remembered
    childhood tastes is hopeless. Even if you exactly recreate the ice cream,
    the fact is that you are an adult, not a child, and it will not taste the
    same.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  8. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    I don't have the book is the mixture cooked?

    If not see below:

    Dimitri

    Home > Recipes

    Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
    Show: Good Eats
    Episode: Churn Baby Churn, 2

    3 cups half-and-half
    1 cup heavy cream
    8 large egg yolks
    9 ounces vanilla sugar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium
    heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from
    the heat.
    In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
    Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the
    eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the
    cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire
    mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring
    frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon
    and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to
    sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the
    mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form
    condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the
    temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
    Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's
    directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for
    soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

  9. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Thu 08 Sep 2005 07:37:48p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    Yep, you're right. Ice cream has been discussed to death here, but then,
    so has everything else. :-) We just keep doing it.

    Quoted message said:

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.



    ......... deleted stuff

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    A very good recipe, but most likely very wrong. It's highly doubtful that
    the ice cream you remember had any whipping cream in it, and very possibly
    no eggs. One reason was economics, as canned milk products were less
    expensive. Another is that many recipes including eggs required that they
    be cooked into a custard with milk - time consuming.

    More likely, those ice creams made for church socials were made with
    evaporated milk, regular whole milk, sugar, and vanilla. Also, very
    possibly, sweetened condensed milk. Remember, this wasn't gourmet ice
    cream, although it tasted pretty darned good to most folks.

    Actually Wayne, I bet you are 180 degrees wrong. It's equally likely
    that the church social ice cream was made with better ingredients than
    he/she tried, because they were fresher. When my grandmother made ice
    cream, she used fresh eggs (from her hens), and fresh milk and cream
    (from her cows).

    The only thing they used from cans were things they put into cans. And
    cooking a custard was something done regularly, not thought of as
    particularly onerous or time consuming. People used to expect to have
    to take time cooking.

    I suggest getting a hand cranked ice cream machine and continuing to
    experiment. One thing that always gives me the "old timey" feel is the
    slight taste of the rock salt in the finished product, as horrible as
    that sounds.

    Susan B.

  10. "sueb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Thu 08 Sep 2005 07:37:48p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    Yep, you're right. Ice cream has been discussed to death here, but then,
    so has everything else. :-) We just keep doing it.

    Quoted message said:

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.



    ........ deleted stuff

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    A very good recipe, but most likely very wrong. It's highly doubtful
    that
    the ice cream you remember had any whipping cream in it, and very
    possibly
    no eggs. One reason was economics, as canned milk products were less
    expensive. Another is that many recipes including eggs required that they
    be cooked into a custard with milk - time consuming.

    More likely, those ice creams made for church socials were made with
    evaporated milk, regular whole milk, sugar, and vanilla. Also, very
    possibly, sweetened condensed milk. Remember, this wasn't gourmet ice
    cream, although it tasted pretty darned good to most folks.

    Actually Wayne, I bet you are 180 degrees wrong. It's equally likely
    that the church social ice cream was made with better ingredients than
    he/she tried, because they were fresher. When my grandmother made ice
    cream, she used fresh eggs (from her hens), and fresh milk and cream
    (from her cows).

    The only thing they used from cans were things they put into cans. And
    cooking a custard was something done regularly, not thought of as
    particularly onerous or time consuming. People used to expect to have
    to take time cooking.

    I suggest getting a hand cranked ice cream machine and continuing to
    experiment. One thing that always gives me the "old timey" feel is the
    slight taste of the rock salt in the finished product, as horrible as
    that sounds.

    Susan B.

    Our ice cream 'socials' in the late 1930's, the ice cream was always made
    with everything from the farm, as above. Someone drove to town to buy ice
    from the ice plant for the hand-cranked wooden ice cream freezer.
    The ice cream usually in spite of the fact that it had 'cream' and eggs was
    a bit runny when served, or should I say, it melted quickly when put in a
    dish. We always had vanilla ice cream. I'll bet there was nothing really
    anything exotic or mysterious about these recipes. I'd start with all good
    products and an ice cream maker using salt and I'll bet you can reproduce it
    in no time.
    If I were you, though, I'd get a electric crank unless you have lots of
    family taking turns.

    One night on a very full stomach of ice creamcoming home (about 4 years old)
    when my mom put me back in the rumble seat of the car, I can still remember
    the stars overhead swirling around. I had eaten too much of it. Little did
    I know until later in life I was lactose intolerant.
    Dee Dee

  11. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    Yes - as I remember, having been to many and worked at them, they would

    1) buy a commercial container and scoop it out of that
    - about 50 years back, they got it that cardboard can from the local
    creamery - where milk came in in cream cans. And Mr B made his ice cream
    out of the top cream. (his kid and I were in the same grade, his daughter
    babysat me, so I hung around the creamery a bit)

    2) use a packaged mix made with beaters - don't remember the name, it might
    have even been a pudding - they beat it up and froze it - and maybe stirred
    it a couple times - but it was pretty much air.

    3) the ladies were too busy with daily chores and kids to hand-crank ice
    cream for everybody - besides, making ice cream was man's and kid's work, as
    I recall. It was a treat for special occasions, not a daily meal item.
    In our extended family (13 aunts/uncles on one side, 11 on the other, not
    counting inlaws families of almost the same size), and in all the gatherings
    where ice cream was made, no lady ever turned the ice cream crank.
    Hot day, nice clothes that were hard to clean and come by and little
    anti-perspirant - no female would be caught dead in a social gathering doing
    work like that.

    as they used to say " horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow."

    Note that ice cream back then had the "milk's taste", a taste which varied
    with season depending on what the cow ate. Since cows in the summer were on
    pasture, ice cream back then had the summer grass flavor.

    fwiw........

    Quoted message said:


    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    Kevin

  12. On Fri 09 Sep 2005 09:05:52a, sueb wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Thu 08 Sep 2005 07:37:48p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    Yep, you're right. Ice cream has been discussed to death here, but
    then, so has everything else. :-) We just keep doing it.

    Quoted message said:

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies
    made at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain
    taste, a certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's
    been at least 15 years since I had such an ice cream.



    ........ deleted stuff

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    A very good recipe, but most likely very wrong. It's highly doubtful
    that the ice cream you remember had any whipping cream in it, and very
    possibly no eggs. One reason was economics, as canned milk products
    were less expensive. Another is that many recipes including eggs
    required that they be cooked into a custard with milk - time consuming.

    More likely, those ice creams made for church socials were made with
    evaporated milk, regular whole milk, sugar, and vanilla. Also, very
    possibly, sweetened condensed milk. Remember, this wasn't gourmet ice
    cream, although it tasted pretty darned good to most folks.

    Actually Wayne, I bet you are 180 degrees wrong. It's equally likely
    that the church social ice cream was made with better ingredients than
    he/she tried, because they were fresher. When my grandmother made ice
    cream, she used fresh eggs (from her hens), and fresh milk and cream
    (from her cows).

    I think we're talking about two different things here. What my
    grandmother made at would have been like what your grandmother made at
    home. What they made at the church was usually made to make a profit as
    well as offer some entertainment.

    Quoted message said:

    The only thing they used from cans were things they put into cans. And
    cooking a custard was something done regularly, not thought of as
    particularly onerous or time consuming. People used to expect to have
    to take time cooking.

    Evaporated and condensed milk was used by many people in the early part of
    the 20th century, not just today. If you look at old cookbooks, ice cream
    recipes frequently call for both.

    Quoted message said:


    I suggest getting a hand cranked ice cream machine and continuing to
    experiment. One thing that always gives me the "old timey" feel is the
    slight taste of the rock salt in the finished product, as horrible as
    that sounds.

    Susan B.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  13. On Fri 09 Sep 2005 09:28:38a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Our ice cream 'socials' in the late 1930's, the ice cream was always
    made with everything from the farm, as above. Someone drove to town to
    buy ice from the ice plant for the hand-cranked wooden ice cream
    freezer. The ice cream usually in spite of the fact that it had 'cream'
    and eggs was a bit runny when served, or should I say, it melted quickly
    when put in a dish. We always had vanilla ice cream. I'll bet there
    was nothing really anything exotic or mysterious about these recipes.
    I'd start with all good products and an ice cream maker using salt and
    I'll bet you can reproduce it in no time.
    If I were you, though, I'd get a electric crank unless you have lots of
    family taking turns.

    One night on a very full stomach of ice creamcoming home (about 4 years
    old) when my mom put me back in the rumble seat of the car, I can still
    remember the stars overhead swirling around. I had eaten too much of
    it. Little did I know until later in life I was lactose intolerant.
    Dee Dee

    Well, the OP has already tried an ice cream made of cream, milk, eggs, and
    sugar and that wasn't it.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  14. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri 09 Sep 2005 09:28:38a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Our ice cream 'socials' in the late 1930's, the ice cream was always
    made with everything from the farm, as above. Someone drove to town to
    buy ice from the ice plant for the hand-cranked wooden ice cream
    freezer. The ice cream usually in spite of the fact that it had 'cream'
    and eggs was a bit runny when served, or should I say, it melted quickly
    when put in a dish. We always had vanilla ice cream. I'll bet there
    was nothing really anything exotic or mysterious about these recipes.
    I'd start with all good products and an ice cream maker using salt and
    I'll bet you can reproduce it in no time.
    If I were you, though, I'd get a electric crank unless you have lots of
    family taking turns.

    One night on a very full stomach of ice creamcoming home (about 4 years
    old) when my mom put me back in the rumble seat of the car, I can still
    remember the stars overhead swirling around. I had eaten too much of
    it. Little did I know until later in life I was lactose intolerant.
    Dee Dee

    Well, the OP has already tried an ice cream made of cream, milk, eggs, and
    sugar and that wasn't it.

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Riiiiiiiiiight!
    WELL! I said (along with my other wind-bag advice)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I were you, though, I'd get a electric crank unless you have lots of
    family taking turns.


    Soooooorrrrry!!! I'll try to be a little more precise and exact and to the
    point for the OP's, as do most of the posters here.
    Phew!
    Dee Dee

  15. On Fri 09 Sep 2005 11:14:57a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri 09 Sep 2005 09:28:38a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Our ice cream 'socials' in the late 1930's, the ice cream was always
    made with everything from the farm, as above. Someone drove to town


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    buy ice from the ice plant for the hand-cranked wooden ice cream
    freezer. The ice cream usually in spite of the fact that it had 'cream'
    and eggs was a bit runny when served, or should I say, it melted


    quickly

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    when put in a dish. We always had vanilla ice cream. I'll bet there
    was nothing really anything exotic or mysterious about these recipes.
    I'd start with all good products and an ice cream maker using salt and
    I'll bet you can reproduce it in no time.
    If I were you, though, I'd get a electric crank unless you have lots of
    family taking turns.

    One night on a very full stomach of ice creamcoming home (about 4 years
    old) when my mom put me back in the rumble seat of the car, I can still
    remember the stars overhead swirling around. I had eaten too much of
    it. Little did I know until later in life I was lactose intolerant.
    Dee Dee

    Well, the OP has already tried an ice cream made of cream, milk, eggs,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sugar and that wasn't it.

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Riiiiiiiiiight!
    WELL! I said (along with my other wind-bag advice)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I were you, though, I'd get a electric crank unless you have lots of
    family taking turns.


    Soooooorrrrry!!! I'll try to be a little more precise and exact and to


    the

    Quoted message said:

    point for the OP's, as do most of the posters here.
    Phew!
    Dee Dee

    That's what we love about you, Dee! :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  16. I thought I'd make a small quantity of each of these recipes and see what my
    family likes most. I just made this one yesterday, and it was lovely, but I
    don't have an ice-cream maker, so I waited till it was almost frozen then
    beat it again. It turned out being a more liquid texture underneath, with
    the top part frothier. I'll try another one next week.

    Thankyou

    Quoted message said:


    6 eggs
    1 c. sugar
    1 (14 oz.) can condensed milk
    2 (13 oz.) cans evaporated milk
    2 tbsp. vanilla
    whole Milk to fill ice cream freeze

    Beat eggs with mixer about 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, then add
    condensed milk and beat for another 2-3 minutes. Add evaporated milk and
    vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Pour into ice cream freezer and add milk to
    freezer line and freeze.

  17. "Jen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I thought I'd make a small quantity of each of these recipes and see what
    my family likes most. I just made this one yesterday, and it was lovely,
    but I don't have an ice-cream maker, so I waited till it was almost frozen
    then beat it again. It turned out being a more liquid texture underneath,
    with the top part frothier. I'll try another one next

    I forgot to mention I've got a recipe for the easiest, yummiest honeycomb
    ice-cream if anyone wants it.

    Jen

  18. On Mon 12 Sep 2005 04:41:37p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Jen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I thought I'd make a small quantity of each of these recipes and see what
    my family likes most. I just made this one yesterday, and it was lovely,
    but I don't have an ice-cream maker, so I waited till it was almost


    frozen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    then beat it again. It turned out being a more liquid texture


    underneath,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with the top part frothier. I'll try another one next

    I forgot to mention I've got a recipe for the easiest, yummiest honeycomb
    ice-cream if anyone wants it.

    Jen

    That sounds delicious, Jen. I'd love to have it. Years ago there was an
    ice cream shop where I lived that made homemade honey icecream. I loved
    it!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  19. That sounds delicious, Jen. I'd love to have it. Years ago there was an

    Quoted message said:

    ice cream shop where I lived that made homemade honey icecream. I loved
    it!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Here it is:

    HONEYCOMB ICE-CREAM
    600 ml thickened cream
    1 tin sweetened condensed milk
    250g honeycomb, violet crumble, or crunchie, chopped

    Beat cream till very thick, add condensed milk. Beat well. Mix in chopped
    honeycomb. Pour into large pudding bowl lined with gladwrap. Freeze
    overnight.

    Turn upside down, and slice to serve.

  20. On Tue 13 Sep 2005 12:01:28a, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    That sounds delicious, Jen. I'd love to have it. Years ago there was
    an

    Quoted message said:

    ice cream shop where I lived that made homemade honey icecream. I
    loved it!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Here it is:

    HONEYCOMB ICE-CREAM
    600 ml thickened cream
    1 tin sweetened condensed milk
    250g honeycomb, violet crumble, or crunchie, chopped

    Beat cream till very thick, add condensed milk. Beat well. Mix in
    chopped
    honeycomb. Pour into large pudding bowl lined with gladwrap. Freeze
    overnight.

    Turn upside down, and slice to serve.

    Thanks, Jen. That looks luscious!

    P.S. Re the beating of the semi-frozen ice cream... That process just
    needs to be repeated, frozen-beaten-frozen-beaten, etc. I think you may
    have beaten it too soon the first time, but additional beatings and
    freezings won't hurt. You'll begin to see the right texture come together.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.