Hooray for cycling!

Chris

Guest
My "Well Man" clinic results from five years ago:

BP: 155/92
Resting HR: 75
Cholesterol: 5.9
Weight: 102kg

Cue much tutting and finger-wagging from the doctor, so I stopped
smoking and took up cycling after a 20 year love affair with the Motor Car.

Todays results:

BP: 107/62
Resting HR: 50
Cholesterol: 4.8
Weight: 89Kg

:)

--
Chris

That's great news. It must have taken some willpower for you to change
your lifestyle to that extent. Well done fella!

Just out of interest, how much (miles or hours) do you cycle on average
each week to yield this sort of improvement to your health?

Cheers
Bronzie

Chris wrote:

> My "Well Man" clinic results from five years ago:
>
> BP: 155/92
> Resting HR: 75
> Cholesterol: 5.9
> Weight: 102kg
>
> Cue much tutting and finger-wagging from the doctor, so I stopped
> smoking and took up cycling after a 20 year love affair with the Motor Car.
>
> Todays results:
>
> BP: 107/62
> Resting HR: 50
> Cholesterol: 4.8
> Weight: 89Kg
>
> :)

Well done you. Far better figures than:

BP: 0/0
Resting HR: 0

which might have been the alternative scenario

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Bronzie wrote:
> That's great news. It must have taken some willpower for you to change
> your lifestyle to that extent. Well done fella!

Thanks! I did a lot of it in stages, so apart from the smoking issue
(which was just bloody hard work for six months) there wasn't a lot of
willpower needed.

> Just out of interest, how much (miles or hours) do you cycle on average
> each week to yield this sort of improvement to your health?

I cycle in the region of 600/800 km a month - more in the summer. Last
year totalled 8,000km.
I also use a gym two/three times a week for weights (high-rep, low
weight toning stuff) and recently a wee bit of running.

The docs closing remark five years ago was "I hope you aren't making too
many plans for retirement..." and it woke me up I think!

Cheers
Chris

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:drlah3$366$1

> BP: 107/62
> Resting HR: 50
> Cholesterol: 4.8
> Weight: 89Kg

Great stuff -well done.

I've got a home one and checked it today and it wasn't as good as yours-
111/68. When I first got it two years ago it I was 122/74 as can be seen in
this little video I made for my workmates to encourage them to check their
BP and Cholesterol at home.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/safetyvideo32.mpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

| "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:drlah3$366$1
| >
| > BP: 107/62
| > Resting HR: 50
| > Cholesterol: 4.8
| > Weight: 89Kg
|

| Great stuff -well done.
|
| I've got a home one and checked it today and it wasn't as good as yours-
| 111/68. When I first got it two years ago it I was 122/74

Both of those BP figures are fine I believe. 155/92 isn't fine.

I can quote from my own experience: a five year stretch during which I
ate a lot of M&S meals (lots of salt), smoked about 15 a day, but
trundle cycled to work and back (about 5 miles a day); was in hospital
having volunteered for some research so had the full
electrodes-everywhere ECG and they said I had a heart like an athlete. I
reckon it's the continuousness over years that does it.

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph