artmichalek said:According to www.cyclingnews.com, who took a look at the bike before the race, it was a black anodized aluminum steerer.
It just so happens that last night, I was watching the tape of the 1986 Paris-Roubaix, which Sean Kelly won. There was an issue with a train interrupting Greg LeMond's chase of the leaders in that year's edition.
The ASO apparently has clear rules of when you can and can't cross when the train comes.
Boonen's group, despite being stopped by the train, clawed back to within a small margin of the Hoste / Van Petegem / Gussev group.
While the train interruption may not have stopped Cancellara's brilliant victory, it could have meant a joining of the Ballan/Boonen group with the Hoste/Van Petegem group. In that six-man sprint, Boonen could likely have come out on top w/ Ballan on his wheel, and the Podium would have turned out as it did after the rules being applied.
As far as talk of conspiracy, I could not see why the French would have love for one Belgian over another -- Hoste vs. Boonen, I don't think the ASO would really care.