Jeff Sutton said:You might be better off picking up a free bike on trash day in your neighborhood.
Serious.
Yup...you won't do any worse than you'd do at Wal-mart. I've picked up a couple a la Wal-mart
mountain bikes that only needed minor adjustments and were otherwise perfect, and quite a few older
ten speeds.
1 newer green Huffy, front suspension, silly frame that's supposed to look like rear suspension
also. Damn near brand new, just a bent rim. Replaced wheel with $15 wheel from Bennys (local chain
of discount stores that sells some cheap bicycles).
1 Magna "chrome edition" rigid. Bar grips are beat, otherwise in good repair; has those terrible
plastic brake levers, so I'm afraid to ride it even as a beater to the store.
1 Schwinn "World" ten speed, lugged frame, brand new 27" tires, front derailleur is seized (more
likely, the cable), just picked up on Thursday.
Last weekend, picked up 2 ten speeds at one house, a pink-trimmed girls Huffy and a green "Kend" or
"Keno" (hard to read) (no, not a "Kent"😉. Haven't examined them for state of repair yet.
1 Peugeot 15-speed, fixed up nice.
I passed up two old 3-speed cruisers which probably had Sturmey-Archer hubs I could have put on,
say, the green Huffy... I should have taken those.
--
Rick Onanian