Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How can I remove a stuck front brake bolt?

Started by Frank121 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,431 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 April 2003
Last activity
16 April 2003
Original author
Frank121
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,431
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through the back of the fork and
    screws on the front brake post will not come out. It is off the brake post easily enough, but I
    can't get it out of the fork.

    The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    course, it is too big to go out the front hole.

    It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end closest to the brake and that is
    why it won't pull out the back side?

    Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through the back but didn't want to
    try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  2. This crisis is over and all is well with the world! I went back to the garage and got out the
    cyclist's second-best friend (not sure what is first), my trusty Dremel tool.

    I wrapped some thin bubble wrap on the fork legs and head tube to protect them, then with some
    Visegrips pulled the bolt as far to the rear as it could go like I was trying to pull it out the
    back side of the fork.

    I then used the Dremel cutting wheel to cut the bolt off as close to the fork as I felt I safely
    could. I then pushed the bolt forward and it fell through the opening under the fork crown and is
    now out of the fork.

    Proper length front brake bolt is next and I am through with this issue.

    Frank

    "frank121" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out. It


    is

    Quoted message said:

    off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.

    The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    course, it is too big to go out the front hole.

    It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end


    closest

    Quoted message said:

    to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?

    Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  3. How about tapping the bolt gently with a punch? GJ

    "frank121" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out. It


    is

    Quoted message said:

    off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.

    The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    course, it is too big to go out the front hole.

    It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end


    closest

    Quoted message said:

    to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?

    Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    Thanks,

    Frank

  4. I tried that but didn't want to take a chance on damaging the fork by jamming the bolt out
    the backside.

    Once I got the bolt out by the Dremel tool method, looks like the end of the bolt that was stuck
    inside the fork crown was indeed mushroomed somehow...maybe by being too long and being tightened
    too tightly against the brake post or something? Anyway, it is out.

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How about tapping the bolt gently with a punch? GJ

    "frank121" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out.


    It

    Quoted message said:

    is

    Quoted message said:

    off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.

    The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    back to no avail. Of course, it is too big to go out the front hole.

    It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end


    closest

    Quoted message said:

    to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?

    Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    Thanks,

    Frank


  5. "frank121" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This crisis is over and all is well with the world! I went back to the garage and got out the
    cyclist's second-best friend (not sure what is first), my trusty Dremel tool.

    Duck tape and zip ties of course! ;^)

    Mike

  6. "frank121" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a used frame and fork, and the front brake bolt that goes through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back of the fork and screws on the front brake post will not come out. It


    is

    Quoted message said:

    off the brake post easily enough, but I can't get it out of the fork.

    The bolt is too long for the brakeset and I have tried pulling it out the back to no avail. Of
    course, it is too big to go out the front hole.

    It appears as if maybe the long bolt has been mushroomed at the end


    closest

    Quoted message said:

    to the brake and that is why it won't pull out the back side?

    Any suggestions? I have pulled it pretty hard trying to pull it through


    the

    Quoted message said:

    back but didn't want to try pulling harder if there was a better way.

    It's unlikely to have "mushroomed" but it may well be rusty. Screw a 50mm long 6mm bolt ( reflector
    mount) into the brake nut and tap it back through the crown with a hammer.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.