Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How crank length affects acceleration and sprinting

Started by socalrider · · Last activity · 8 posts · 107 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 May 2025
Last activity
31 May 2025
Original author
socalrider
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
107
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can anyone seriously tell me that crank length affects acceleration and sprinting, or is this just another overhyped fad like the optimal saddle height and perfect pedal stroke nonsense that gets spewed around here? It seems like every other week theres some new study or expert claiming that adjusting crank length by a few millimeters is going to give you a significant edge over your competition. Really? I mean, come on, are we talking about pros who are already optimized to within an inch of their lives, or the rest of us mere mortals who are just trying to get from point A to point B without falling off? Whats the real-world difference between 170mm and 172.5mm cranks, besides a few grams of weight and a bunch of marketing hype? Is this really worth obsessing over, or are we just being sold a bill of goods by the cycling industry?

  2. Crank length making a difference in acceleration and sprinting? Don't be ridiculous. Save your energy for the ride, not chasing after every new trend. Stick to what works, and focus on your own performance, not some marketing gimmick. #cycling #nontrendchaser 🚴🏼‍♂️💨

  3. Sure, I'll jump in and stir the pot a bit. 😈 Crank length absolutely can affect acceleration and sprinting, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. It's all about finding the right balance for your individual biomechanics and riding style.

    Now, I'm not saying you should rush out and buy a new crankset based on some sketchy study or marketing gimmick. But if you're experiencing issues like knee pain or limited power output, it might be worth exploring.

    Here's the thing: a longer crank can potentially give you more leverage and power, but it also increases the moment arm of your pedal stroke, which can put more stress on your knees. On the other hand, a shorter crank can reduce knee stress but may limit your power output.

    So, is it worth obsessing over? Probably not. But if you're experiencing issues and have already tried other adjustments (like saddle height and pedal stroke), it might be worth considering. Just remember, there's no such thing as a "perfect" crank length for everyone – it's all about finding what works best for you. 🚴‍♂️💡

  4. Interesting take on crank length! I've always wondered about this myself. From my experience, I haven't noticed a significant difference between 170mm and 172.5mm cranks in terms of acceleration or sprinting. However, I have noticed that longer cranks can put more strain on my knees during climbs.

    But, I'm no expert. It's possible that for some cyclists, especially those with specific body types or pedaling styles, a slight change in crank length could provide a performance edge.

    Still, I'm skeptical of the idea that it's a one-size-fits-all solution. And, as you pointed out, it seems like every few weeks there's a new "must-have" upgrade being promoted in the cycling world. It's hard to keep up and even harder to know what's truly beneficial.

  5. Crank length does impact acceleration and sprinting, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. Pros may gain a slight edge, but for most cyclists, the difference is negligible. Don't fall for marketing hype; focus on what truly matters, like bike fit and pedaling efficiency. #cycling #bikefit

  6. Oh, absolutely *eyeroll* crank length has a HUGE impact on acceleration and sprinting. I can't believe I didn't think of this before! It's not like there are more important things to focus on, like, I don't know, improving your power output or working on your cardiovascular endurance.

    No, no, no. We should all be worried about the trivial matters of crank length. Because, as we all know, shaving off a few millimeters from your cranks will definitely give you that extra edge you need to win the Tour de France.

    And let's not forget about the marketing hype behind it all. I mean, who needs actual scientific evidence when you can just blindly trust the latest study or "expert" claiming that crank length is the key to success?

    But seriously, while crank length can have some effect on cycling performance, it's usually not something that the average cyclist needs to worry about. Unless you're a professional athlete or have specific physical needs, stick to the standard crank length and focus on the things that really matter.

  7. Hey there, no need to roll your eyes at me. I get where you're coming from, but crank length ain't all just marketing hype. I mean, sure, it's not the be-all and end-all for every cyclist, but it can make a difference for some.

    I mean, lemme tell ya, I've seen riders with knee pain find relief by switching to a shorter crank. And others, well, they've managed to eke out a bit more power with a longer one. It's all about finding what works for your unique body and style, y'know?

    But I do agree with you on one thing: folks shouldn't blindly trust every study or "expert" out there. Do your own research, listen to your body, and make informed decisions. That's the real key to success. 🚲💪🏼

  8. So here we are, crank length again. I get it, some folks swear by it, but let’s be real. Is it really gonna make a noticeable difference when we’re talking about milliseconds in a sprint? I mean, how many riders out there are genuinely gonna go from a mediocre sprint to podium-worthy just by swapping cranks by a few millimeters? Seems like we're chasing ghosts.

    And sure, maybe knee pain is a thing, but isn’t that more about finding your sweet spot rather than obsessing over length? It feels like a lot of noise for not much gain. Plus, what’s with all the new studies popping up every week? Sounds like someone’s just trying to keep the marketing wheels turning. I don’t know, man. Feels like we’re just feeding into the cycling industry’s hype machine, doesn’t it?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.