How critical is headset adjustment

PJay

Guest
After removing my forks and cleaning up my headset I refitted everything and
re-adjusted the headset. I took care to check for the removal of all play
and then just nudged things on a little to be sure. I tightened up the stem
bolts and double checked play. Just to be sure I took it along to the bike
shop to be checked and was given the ok.

On a ride today I popped into another bike shop for some grease and
mentioned a small ticking noise I'd noticed in the top headset cup. They had
a quick look and I was rather disappointed when they said that there was a
small amount of play in the top cup. They kindly adjusted it for me (about
1/4 turn above what I'd done) and said that there would have been no harm in
me riding the bike as I'd set it up, which was a bit of a both (they also
mentioned that since I'd recently grease the headset and then riden the
bike, about 7 miles, that it might have just been things settling in).

However I do feel a tad nervous about adjusting my headset again in case I
get it wrong, I certainly couldn't feel any play so I might be prone to
errors. I was wondering just how critical it is to adjust the headset spot
on, is there any margin for error (eg. no play that I can 'detect') or will
I end up damaging something (I've heard about ovalised headtubes).

Just thought I'd ask.

So long as you don't have a significant amount of play there is no big
worry. If the headset is loose enough so that the fork moves when you
brake, then you should replace the headset. Part of the problem is that
it's hard to have your headset perfectly adjusted all the time. The
other issue is that it's hard to adust the headset on the road.

But as for newer compact and hidden headsets play probably is much more
critical.

PJay wrote:
> After removing my forks and cleaning up my headset I refitted
> everything and re-adjusted the headset. I took care to check for the
> removal of all play and then just nudged things on a little to be
> sure. I tightened up the stem bolts and double checked play. Just to
> be sure I took it along to the bike shop to be checked and was given
> the ok.
> On a ride today I popped into another bike shop for some grease and
> mentioned a small ticking noise I'd noticed in the top headset cup.
> They had a quick look and I was rather disappointed when they said
> that there was a small amount of play in the top cup. They kindly
> adjusted it for me (about 1/4 turn above what I'd done) and said that
> there would have been no harm in me riding the bike as I'd set it up,
> which was a bit of a both (they also mentioned that since I'd
> recently grease the headset and then riden the bike, about 7 miles,
> that it might have just been things settling in).
> However I do feel a tad nervous about adjusting my headset again in
> case I get it wrong, I certainly couldn't feel any play so I might be
> prone to errors. I was wondering just how critical it is to adjust
> the headset spot on, is there any margin for error (eg. no play that
> I can 'detect') or will I end up damaging something (I've heard about
> ovalised headtubes).
> Just thought I'd ask.

Not a big deal. If you're doing downhill racing/freeride antics, ovalized
headtubes should be on your radar. If not, don't worry about it.

The fork should be able to flop over relatively easily if you lean the bike
over about 10 degrees while you have it picked up in the air.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Most bikes have a few spacers between the headset and the stem. Tighten
down the stem (i.e. tighten the headset) until it takes a quite a bit of
effort to twist (rotate around the fork stearer) the spacers with your hand.
If you can't twist them, it's too tight. If they twist easily - too loose.
That seems to work for me. It's easy to check if your headset has come
loose, or tightened up by itself, this way too.

And no, I have no proof that this results in the correct tightness of the
headset, but on my bikes, using this method doesn't result in any play and
also hasn't destroyed the bearings over a couple of years of riding.

"PJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After removing my forks and cleaning up my headset I refitted everything
> and re-adjusted the headset. I took care to check for the removal of all
> play and then just nudged things on a little to be sure. I tightened up
> the stem bolts and double checked play. Just to be sure I took it along to
> the bike shop to be checked and was given the ok.
>
> On a ride today I popped into another bike shop for some grease and
> mentioned a small ticking noise I'd noticed in the top headset cup. They
> had a quick look and I was rather disappointed when they said that there
> was a small amount of play in the top cup. They kindly adjusted it for me
> (about 1/4 turn above what I'd done) and said that there would have been
> no harm in me riding the bike as I'd set it up, which was a bit of a both
> (they also mentioned that since I'd recently grease the headset and then
> riden the bike, about 7 miles, that it might have just been things
> settling in).
>
> However I do feel a tad nervous about adjusting my headset again in case I
> get it wrong, I certainly couldn't feel any play so I might be prone to
> errors. I was wondering just how critical it is to adjust the headset spot
> on, is there any margin for error (eg. no play that I can 'detect') or
> will I end up damaging something (I've heard about ovalised headtubes).
>
> Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

I'm probably worrying overly and I'm sure that there is margin for error, I
was just alarmed that I thought I'd got it right and someone else found some
slack (could have bedded in though). I worry about damaging the head tube
and ruining the frame. With that said though I did remove all the play that
I could detect and rode the bike hard without feeling and juddering or
hearing any knocking, in this situation would I be safe even if there was a
small amount of play there?

Don't know why headsets phase me, I'm quite happy doing bottom brackets.

"PJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After removing my forks and cleaning up my headset I refitted everything
> and re-adjusted the headset. I took care to check for the removal of all
> play and then just nudged things on a little to be sure. I tightened up
> the stem bolts and double checked play. Just to be sure I took it along to
> the bike shop to be checked and was given the ok.
>
> On a ride today I popped into another bike shop for some grease and
> mentioned a small ticking noise I'd noticed in the top headset cup. They
> had a quick look and I was rather disappointed when they said that there
> was a small amount of play in the top cup. They kindly adjusted it for me
> (about 1/4 turn above what I'd done) and said that there would have been
> no harm in me riding the bike as I'd set it up, which was a bit of a both
> (they also mentioned that since I'd recently grease the headset and then
> riden the bike, about 7 miles, that it might have just been things
> settling in).
>
> However I do feel a tad nervous about adjusting my headset again in case I
> get it wrong, I certainly couldn't feel any play so I might be prone to
> errors. I was wondering just how critical it is to adjust the headset spot
> on, is there any margin for error (eg. no play that I can 'detect') or
> will I end up damaging something (I've heard about ovalised headtubes).
>
> Just thought I'd ask.

"PJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks,
>
> I'm probably worrying overly and I'm sure that there is margin for error,

> was just alarmed that I thought I'd got it right and someone else found

some
> slack (could have bedded in though). I worry about damaging the head tube
> and ruining the frame. With that said though I did remove all the play

that
> I could detect and rode the bike hard without feeling and juddering or
> hearing any knocking, in this situation would I be safe even if there was

> small amount of play there?
>
> Don't know why headsets phase me, I'm quite happy doing bottom brackets.

Sure there is some margin for error. Nothing is perfect. A headset with no
play at all is too tight and that is worse. If you don't feel any play or
juddering or hearing any knocking you're OK.

Lou

PJay wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I'm probably worrying overly and I'm sure that there is margin for
> error, I was just alarmed that I thought I'd got it right and someone
> else found some slack (could have bedded in though). I worry about
> damaging the head tube and ruining the frame. With that said though I
> did remove all the play that I could detect and rode the bike hard
> without feeling and juddering or hearing any knocking, in this
> situation would I be safe even if there was a small amount of play
> there?

Repeat after me: "Tiny play is fine." "Tiny play is fine." "Tiny play is
fine."

Another trick: Adjust headset then ride no-hands. If there's any change in
riding difficulty, it's too tight.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Thu, 4 May 2006 14:44:51 +0100, "PJay" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>I'm probably worrying overly and I'm sure that there is margin for error, I
>was just alarmed that I thought I'd got it right and someone else found some
>slack (could have bedded in though). I worry about damaging the head tube
>and ruining the frame.

Almost impossible to damage the frame. If the headset is misadjusted,
you're more likely to wear it out quickly though.

>With that said though I did remove all the play that
>I could detect and rode the bike hard without feeling and juddering or
>hearing any knocking, in this situation would I be safe even if there was a
>small amount of play there?

Sounds good.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply