How Critical is the Serrated Cog

cc011

Guest
I am putting a 9-spd cassette with the smallest cog removed on a 7-spd
freehub to fit the 126 rear spacing. The only problem is that the second
smallest cog is not serrated. Does it really matter. I thought about
adding a couple drops of SuperGlue between the cog and the lock ring but
that might make removal difficult when I need to change the cassette.
Any thoughts?
GH

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:23:10 -0400, cc011 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I am putting a 9-spd cassette with the smallest cog removed on a 7-spd
>freehub to fit the 126 rear spacing. The only problem is that the second
>smallest cog is not serrated. Does it really matter. I thought about
>adding a couple drops of SuperGlue between the cog and the lock ring but
>that might make removal difficult when I need to change the cassette.
>Any thoughts?

Hijack a serrated sprocket of the correct tooth count from another
cassette. The only attempt to do what you describe with which I'm
familiar ended up resulting in a retainer ring that loosened in less
than 50 miles. Not good.

Don't forget that you'll have to use a 9-speed shifter or a friction
shifter with that nine-minus-one cassette. An 8-speed will index
wrong.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 29 Jul 2004 09:24:23 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

>what's a serrated cog?

On the smallest sprocket of a cassette, there's a radially grooved
face that meshes with teeth on the retainer ring to prevent the ring
from unscrewing.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.