Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How do I join a new Hyperglide chain ?

Started by Tran Tran · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,068 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 May 2004
Last activity
3 May 2004
Original author
Tran Tran
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,068
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette. After
    shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
    that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
    reinforced connecting pin instead ?

    Tran

  2. tran-<< The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette. After
    shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
    that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
    reinforced connecting pin instead ? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, use the supplied link. The pins are not hard enough to be driven partly
    out and then back in. If this makes your chain too short, use a Sram gold
    snaplink.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. Should I have driven it out and used the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    reinforced connecting pin instead ?

    Yes. You can break a chain anywhere except a black pin [1], but you
    must re-join it with one of the special pins. If you don't, the
    standard pins can work loose if re-used: the action of taking them out
    widens the hole in the chain plates.


    And you better take that seriously. I learned the hard way, that you cann't
    reuse the old pin.
    The chain seemed to be working well for a few days till one day I pulled
    real hard over a steep but short hill. That cost me scraches all over myself
    and my bike, a new derailleur and a hadfull of spokes in the backwheel. So
    don't risk breaking a chain.
    Ivar

  4. "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    tran-<< The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette. After
    shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
    that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
    reinforced connecting pin instead ? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, use the supplied link. The pins are not hard enough to be driven


    partly

    Quoted message said:

    out and then back in. If this makes your chain too short, use a Sram gold
    snaplink.

    What's the pin for that already comes partially in the chain? The one that
    the OP is talking about?

    Greg

  5. "Ivar Hesselager" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Should I have driven it out and used the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    reinforced connecting pin instead ?

    Yes. You can break a chain anywhere except a black pin [1], but you
    must re-join it with one of the special pins. If you don't, the
    standard pins can work loose if re-used: the action of taking them out
    widens the hole in the chain plates.


    And you better take that seriously. I learned the hard way, that you


    cann't

    Quoted message said:

    reuse the old pin.

    I believe he's talking about a new chain.

    Greg

  6. Zog The Undeniable said:

    I'd like to say "buy a SRAM chain and forget all the HG nonsense" but
    personally I've only been able to get Shimano chains running smoothly on
    9-speed.

    Of course, you could just buy the sram link and put it on the
    Shimano chain.

    I'm using a Wipperman chain and it runs/shifts very nicely.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. "G.T." <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    tran-<< The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette.


    After

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
    that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
    reinforced connecting pin instead ? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, use the supplied link. The pins are not hard enough to be driven


    partly

    Quoted message said:

    out and then back in. If this makes your chain too short, use a Sram


    gold

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    snaplink.

    What's the pin for that already comes partially in the chain? The one


    that

    Quoted message said:

    the OP is talking about?

    Greg

    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I removed one link from a new, never
    before joined chain. The pin that I used to close the chain is that Greg is
    refering to and seems to be the black pin that Shimano refers to as the "end
    pin". I suppose that it must be OK to use that pin to join the chain for the
    first time.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.