How do we get rid of these adverts?

grahamspringett

Feb 26, 2004
I enjoy poring over the questions and answers in this forum and I object to all these spam ads.

Do we have a moderator who can get rid of them?

yeah, under the persons screen name, there should be a report spam button, I've hit it a few times:p

grahamspringett said:
I enjoy poring over the questions and answers in this forum and I object to all these spam ads.

That's the thing. We need a moderator. Wanna volunteer?
wink.gif

bbrauer said:
That's the thing. We need a moderator. Wanna volunteer?
wink.gif
Ric Stern moderates the forum, and there might be others. There is also an administrator by the name of Admin Steve who's stepped in to shut down a thread of stamp out a flame war on occasion.

My guess is that they're busy or taking time for the holidays, but the spam is flying pretty thick these days. :(

Cycler6n said:
yeah, under the persons screen name, there should be a report spam button, I've hit it a few times:p
I use that one liberally, and suggest that others do too. I figure if the 'report spam' inbox starts filling up then maybe it'll get someone's attention that there's an issue to be looked at.

The forum software should allow you to hide all posts made by a certain user (i.e. kill file the user), which would effectively allow you to never see spam.

I hope the forum software can upgraded with that feature.

Right now, you can hide the messages (by adding the user to your "Ignore" list), however their posts are still shown in the top level forum message list.

Also, complaining about spam to the admin is only good if admin actually reads the messages, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

root said:
Also, complaining about spam to the admin is only good if admin actually reads the messages, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
Presumably the "Report Spam" messages (link under the username in a post) are sent somewhere so that the administrators don't have to browse the threads.

frenchyge said:
Presumably the "Report Spam" messages (link under the username in a post) are sent somewhere so that the administrators don't have to browse the threads.
That's exactly what I mean. They are sent to the admin, but apparently he doesn't read them :).

jamesbikerblog said:
If you're really sick of the spam here, there is an almost dead messageboard at my site you can start to bustle up, and It has free chat too at the bottom of the messageboard.

My site is located at : http://www.jamesbikerblog.com

bookmark it and comeback everyday, and who knows, you might win something.:)

Well done jamesbikerblog - fighting spam with spam!

Wow... I take a 6 month break from this forum and return to find it nearly unusable due to spam. I hope some sort of moderation happens soon... this was the best forum I'd found for power tips.

grahamspringett said:

The titles seem pretty obvious. If you're getting the forum by email, hit delete. If you log in direct to the forum (like I do), don't open them. Am I missing something? - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
The titles seem pretty obvious. If you're getting the forum by email, hit delete. If you log in direct to the forum (like I do), don't open them. Am I missing something? - TF
Actually, yes. You seem to be missing the fact that there are now about 8 spam threads for every two legitimate ones. There's no reason for there to be any spam threads. I'm a regular on other forums and there isn't this problem.

I'm still curious to know why the search function was removed, too.

bbrauer said:
I'm still curious to know why the search function was removed, too.
I clicked on a username this morning to find more posts by that user and got a message saying "Searching has been disabled due to high server load, please try your search again in a few minutes." I suspect the search link has been removed for the same reason -- high server load probably due to spam.