how do you avoid knee injury?

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
I've read a lot of stories where cyclist can't ride anymore (the way they use to at least) since they damaged their knees. What do I (we) need to do or avoid so this won't happen to me (us)? Any specific equipment to make sure we have our cycling shoes "clipped" to the pedals properly? I know we should take it easy sometimes on the hills and mashing big gears. But what else is there that we need to be conscious of? Thanks

Making sure your bike is fitted correctly is probably one of the important factors. Saddle height and cleat position are key to not injuring your knees. This web site www.cptips.com has some good info regarding these issues. Also I find that when my knees start to get sore, if I start riding in the small front chain ring (39), it really helps take the load off. If you start getting sore knees take it easy for a week before you really injure them.

I'm resting my knees totally from cycling at present due to warning signs I was getting - mostly crepitus and mild aches. I'm doing knee strengthening exercises, using glucosamine and taking it a lot easier.
I guess I did too much climbing over Summer but am not seriously injured - just taking care of my acheing joints for a few weeks.

eortiz said:
I've read a lot of stories where cyclist can't ride anymore (the way they use to at least) since they damaged their knees. What do I (we) need to do or avoid so this won't happen to me (us)? Any specific equipment to make sure we have our cycling shoes "clipped" to the pedals properly? I know we should take it easy sometimes on the hills and mashing big gears. But what else is there that we need to be conscious of? Thanks

Agree with the good advice here so far. Equipment-wise, seems to me floating pedal/cleat systems will help to protect the knees. Also, believe daily stretching is helpful to keep tendons and ligaments in proper alignment.

I found out that the cranks on my bike are too long for my little short legs. They're getting swapped out. Also my physician recommended doing some exercises to strengthen my tendons and ligaments in my knees, specifically the ones at the end of my quadriceps. He said that if those are strong, then the kneecap itself should be lifted a bit and slide more easily over the joint instead of its current grinding.

Do you mind sharing some of the exercises your doc recommended?

Brunswick_kate said:
I found out that the cranks on my bike are too long for my little short legs. They're getting swapped out. Also my physician recommended doing some exercises to strengthen my tendons and ligaments in my knees, specifically the ones at the end of my quadriceps. He said that if those are strong, then the kneecap itself should be lifted a bit and slide more easily over the joint instead of its current grinding.

eortiz said:
Do you mind sharing some of the exercises your doc recommended?

Hard to explain on the 'Net...but here goes..

Equipment: armless chair, old purse (handbag style) with about 5 lbs of pennies in it.

Sit down. Leg straight at the knee. Toe pointing slightly inward. Strap of the purse over the ankle. Lift the purse off the floor repeatedly by contracting the quadreceps. Right now I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps each. Doing the lifts slowly and in a controlled manner.

If you can't lift the purse or the weight is too much to start, sit on the chair facing your sofa or another low piece of furniture. Put your foot under the edge of the sofa and try to lift the sofa with your foot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like a "leg-extension" exercise in a gym. Sitting straight on a chair with your feet on the floor and lift it to make a striaght leg, right?

Brunswick_kate said:

Equipment: armless chair, old purse (handbag style) with about 5 lbs of pennies in it.

Sit down. Leg straight at the knee. Toe pointing slightly inward. Strap of the purse over the ankle. Lift the purse off the floor repeatedly by contracting the quadreceps. Right now I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps each. Doing the lifts slowly and in a controlled manner.

If you can't lift the purse or the weight is too much to start, sit on the chair facing your sofa or another low piece of furniture. Put your foot under the edge of the sofa and try to lift the sofa with your foot.

I'm not sure what it's called, but I'm not bending the knee and straightening it to lift the foot. I'm lifting the entire leg with the knee straight.

A few considerations may save your knees:

* Bike Size and Fit - Saddle height, crank length, cleat position, etc
* Rest between rides and stretching
* Suppliments - Glucosamine Condroitin

These considerations kept my knees smiling for 8 years on the bike.

Cheers.

eortiz said:
I've read a lot of stories where cyclist can't ride anymore (the way they use to at least) since they damaged their knees. What do I (we) need to do or avoid so this won't happen to me (us)?
don'y play netball in the off season;)

I would also recommend the following. If you find your knees ache after a cycle ride then it would be wise to evaluate where the problem might be. I had this experience myself after my harder rides. Obviously at 40 I'm no spring chicken and I could only assume that 3 hours of hilly bike-riding was stressing my knees somewhat.
Stretching is beneficial of course. But intermediate bike rides in lower gears are also a welcome break from grinding bigger gears. I wouldn't advise getting into a scenario where your knees ache, however, and you just keep riding regardless. This is what leads to more serious injury and why some cyclists lose so much time in the long run when they have to take time out or even have surgery.
Knee strengthening exercises are certainly a good idea.

eortiz said:

eortiz said:
It really comes down to a few factors, many of which have been mentioned:
1. good bike fit - mainly saddle height, saddle fore/aft and cleat alignment (pedals with excessive float are not necessarily a good thing - a specific muscle in the back of the knee that works to keep the roation of your upper and lower leg aligned is particularly stressed in this case)
2. cadence - 80-100rpm, hills or no hills. yes, standing will drop cadence further, but this is fine as overall torque on the knee is greatly reduced during standing vs seated at the same cadence/power output.
3. muscular strength and flexibility imbalances - this one is the cause much more often than most realize. this includes muscles of the calf, the quads, the hamstrings, the glutes, the hip rotators (!!!) and the hip flexors (upper quads). a muscle needent be attached to the knee to impead proper tracking and alignment of the knee joint.
The best way to know for sure is to get a bike fit with someone who has an extensive background (by which I mean more than experience in a local bike shop) or see a physical therapist/sports medicine professional.
It's worth it!

Smartt/RST said:
It really comes down to a few factors, many of which have been mentioned:
1. good bike fit - mainly saddle height, saddle fore/aft and cleat alignment (pedals with excessive float are not necessarily a good thing - a specific muscle in the back of the knee that works to keep the roation of your upper and lower leg aligned is particularly stressed in this case)
2. cadence - 80-100rpm, hills or no hills. yes, standing will drop cadence further, but this is fine as overall torque on the knee is greatly reduced during standing vs seated at the same cadence/power output.
3. muscular strength and flexibility imbalances - this one is the cause much more often than most realize. this includes muscles of the calf, the quads, the hamstrings, the glutes, the hip rotators (!!!) and the hip flexors (upper quads). a muscle needent be attached to the knee to impead proper tracking and alignment of the knee joint.
The best way to know for sure is to get a bike fit with someone who has an extensive background (by which I mean more than experience in a local bike shop) or see a physical therapist/sports medicine professional.
It's worth it!

(!!!)= hip abductors/adductors

most common cause, overuse !.

if you do too much (cycling) to soon ( before you have adapted to the volume of work ) = knee injury

start with moderated rides, with rest days between rides and gradually build the volume, being sure to keep some rest days in and vary the work from short hard to long easy and recovery rides.

edd said:
(!!!)= hip abductors/adductors

most common cause, overuse !.

if you do too much (cycling) to soon ( before you have adapted to the volume of work ) = knee injury

start with moderated rides, with rest days between rides and gradually build the volume, being sure to keep some rest days in and vary the work from short hard to long easy and recovery rides.
Hip adductors/abductors are just that, not the rotators of the hip. The smaller muslces that are deep in the glutes and the muscles immediately around the knee are responsible for keeping your femur in line with your tibia (ie: avoiding 'knock knees' and 'bow legs') during any hip extensoin/knee flexion movement (eg: squating, lunging, step ups, cycling, running, etc). It's just much more common for the hip rotators to be the culprit; spend some time in a sports PT fascility and you'll see what I mean.
Poor alignment, muscluar imbalance and inflexibility is still what it comes down to...I think we're just talking semantics on this last point - doing too much too soon will result in what I'm getting at.

Brunswick_kate said:

Had problem with my knee last year and ended up in Physical Therapy for a few weeks. They had me do similar exercises except to point the toes slightly outward instead of inward. Guess it matters where your pain is to determine which muscels are imbalanced. And of course they emphasized stretching, stretching, stretching...