rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

How do you go so fast on coker.

Started by legtod2 · · Last activity · 24 posts · 478 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
22 April 2008
Last activity
23 April 2008
Original author
legtod2
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
478
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Granted I've only got 350km on my new Nimbus 36 Nightrider Pro; but,
    dang it I feel slow and pokey on it.

    On my Bedford 29 I crusie along at 10 - 14km/hr.
    On my N36 I cruise along at 13 - 18km/hr.

    These are comfortable speeds on sidewalks and road side.
    I've notice my speed drop due to the curvature of the road and upcoming
    bumps.

    I'm really amazed at the other RTL qualifying reports, you folks are
    fast.

    What's the secret? Or am I just a slow poke 😉

    --
    legtod2

    Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
    my inspiration in life.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    legtod2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15732
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. legtod2 said:

    What's the secret?

    Pedal fast. 🙄

    Just kidding. I am not a fast rider. I ride as fast as is comfortable
    for me and that is not very fast by many standards.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

    The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
    heals the disease. - Voltaire
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. what crank length are you running?

    --
    lpounds

    'Levi' (http://tinyurl.com/6l5fmr)
    'Photos'
    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25192939@N06/)
    'Unicycle' (

    )
    'Juggle'
    (

    )
    'EGG'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lpounds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15958
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. I ride 125 cranks on both 29" and 36".

    I have a set of 104 but don't feel comfortable for uphill climbs.
    Since fredericton is built on a hill the 104 arn't ideal for the job.

    --
    legtod2

    Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
    my inspiration in life.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    legtod2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15732
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. What is your max speed? today I went on a ride on an old railroad bed
    and I averaged around 15km/h (slight downhill on the way there, slight
    uphill on the way back) but I had a max of 33.3km/h.
    I am also amazed when I see similar numbers but in mph by people on
    their RTL qualifying reports.

    --
    unicyclist.ca

    http://www.Unicyclist.ca
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unicyclist.ca's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16025
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Get 110's or 114's ASAP, best investment ever, they probably won't speed
    you up a ton but if you are used to 125's then you will love the 114's.
    I switched over without noticing any hinderence in performance, only
    increase in speed and ease of use.

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Qu-AX 114s are probably the best cranks you can use on a 36er.

    125 Qu-Ax are the most versatile though.

    The secret to going fast is efficient spinning. Spin fast and
    efficient and you will increase your speed. Concentrate on spinning
    faster, it will take effort at first, but then it becomes natural.

    --
    siafirede

    'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
    Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

    James = my name
    'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. It really just comes down to how lightly you can spin and how smoothly
    you can ride, so as to correct minor tips as easily and infrequently as
    possible. Once you get to where you can spin really really quickly, you
    might notice that you're capable of riding at your slower speeds while
    barely putting any pressure on the pedals at all; methinks you need to
    be able to do that in order to keep your tolerances tight enough to
    where you can spin really fast and still maintain your line and your
    steadiness.

    Also, I love riding with my feet really far back on the pedals, so I
    can use the bend in my ankle (calf muscle) to absorb some of the motion
    so I don't have to bounce my thighs up and down quite so far. (I use
    102 cranks)

    I'd really recommend the 114s. 102s are the longest I'd want to go for
    anything flat, but there are some hills around here, and 125s felt too
    long even for them.

    Just go out and ride and have fun; you'll get faster even if you just
    do that! 🙂

    Oh, I keep my seat pretty high, too. My legs come very close to totally
    straight when I ride with the centers of my feet on the pedals, and I
    can relax them to the right extension by riding with my toes/footballs
    on the pedals.

    --
    chuckaeronut

    Uni to work, work to eat, eat to live, live to uni. 🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chuckaeronut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14677
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. I ride 125s (though as soon as my coker's out of the shop, I'll switch
    to 114s) and I probably average 20 kilometers over some rollling hills.
    I once clocked my top speed (and this was years ago) on a slight
    decline at 18 mph (I think that's about 29 or 30 kph) and I believe
    that was actually on longer cranks.

    To maintain speed up hills, it's a matter of experience to maintain
    your balance, and leg strength to keep the wheel spinning.

    On flat ground, I don't know. Whatever they said.

    --
    sockmonster

    www.unicyclemax.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. Saddle time leads to confidence leads to the ability to go faster for
    longer.

    --
    Mikefule

    "Every evening we are poorer by a day."

    Arthur "Cheerful" Schopenhauer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. If you live somewhere hilly, the biggest speed improvement you can get
    is quite likely by riding faster on the downhills. Fitting a brake
    helps a lot with that if you haven't already.

    Riding fast on downhills is a matter of getting over the fear mainly,
    and letting the pedals spin your legs round. I'm rubbish at it, I don't
    like going faster than about 18, but that is how most people get the
    big >20mph speeds.

    Doing the fast downhills improves your spinning technique anyway,
    you'll get better on the flat from learning downhills. Uphills are just
    a matter of practice practice practice, like everything else.

    Having said that, a few riders out there can ride 20mph for a bit on
    the flat, which is insane. Typically with quite short cranks.

    I don't remember averaging over 10mph on my coker until I'd ridden
    probably 1000 miles / 1600km or more. I was riding 12 miles a day to
    work at that time, so doing a lot of training.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. I'm no speedster on my coker. I seem to have a top speed barrier at
    just over 15mph - how ever fast I think I've ridden my top speed is
    always the same. I think it's mostly just me being chicken because I
    can spin faster rpm on my 26", but the coker just feels less stable (I
    know it should be *more* stable in theory but that's how it feels).

    I've always used 150s on it so far because it's quite hilly round here
    and I tend to ride a lot of light cross-country in preference to road.
    I'm going to try the 127s off my 20" and see how I get on - presumably
    I'll be slower for a bit until I get used to the control, then
    hopefully a bit faster due to easier spinning.

    I'm amazed by people who can ride at 20mph+ without falling off - huge
    amount of skill.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. I've been doing weekly intervals with a couple of local Coker speed
    demons (steveyo and rolandisimo). Over the past few weeks we've all
    seen our ability to spin increase. My speed has increase by about 1mph
    over the past 6 weeks. For me it's a matter of confidence (time in the
    saddle).

    I'd recommend finding a relatively flat circuit (no hill climbs) with
    little traffic and start out with 8 sets of 3 minutes on (spin as fast
    as you can) and 1.5 minutes off (ride slowly to recover). Repeat until
    you completed 8 sets. Don't forget to do a 10-15 minutes warm-up and
    cool-down.

    After a couple of weeks, up the time so you are riding to 4 minutes on
    and 2 minutes off for 8 sets.

    At some point, you'll probably be able to switch your goal from time to
    distance. So... instead of 4 minutes on, you'll do 1.5 - 2 miles on
    with a 2 minute rest.

    Give it a try for a couple of weeks. Try to do the intervals twice a
    week. I'm willing to bet you'll see a significant improvement.

    BTW: I ride with 125s

    --
    capuni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    capuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15514
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. joemarshall said:


    Having said that, a few riders out there can ride 20mph for a bit on
    the flat, which is insane. Typically with quite short cranks.

    Joe

    ...or with a geared 36'er + 150mm cranks. I rode to work today and
    averaged 20 mph for quite a long time.

    corbin

    --
    corbin

    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. The main trick to riding fast is to not back pedal. In other words,
    don't slow down with your legs. Do all your slowing down with a brake
    (if required), and ideally, just "go with the flow" and spin as fast as
    the wheel wants to go. I prefer 125's when non geared, and 150's when
    geared.

    corbin

    --
    corbin

    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. Stop riding in the snow. I think that'll speed you right up! 😄

    Obviously, smooth roads make a difference. The rougher your
    route/roads, the less you'll want to push it. What might help is
    practicing sprints on smaller unicycles. Back in the old days (before
    there were Cokers), all unicycle racing was on 24" wheels (with 125mm
    cranks). We learned to pedal really, really fast on those. I used to be
    able to hit 17.5 mph on my 24". Now I can finally do it on my Coker,
    and for longer stretches, but I'm not comfortable doing it.

    Because of my semi-healed collar bone, I haven't been pushing for high
    speeds at all. I've only been working on high *average* speeds. What
    kind of speeds can I manage for a whole ride, or for several miles?
    That is hopefully building me a nice, strong, useful foundation of
    solid riding.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    Email: "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
    lately?"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. +1 on the smooth roads. For me, bumps mean a 15mph speed limit! Rough
    roads aren't bad, because 36" is so big, but bumps, like small
    tree-roots under the concrete or something, are just horrible.

    also, a huge +1 on Corbin's comment about just going with the flow. You
    can kind of use your body as a "gas pedal" and when you're going with
    the flow, you just tilt yourself forward a little bit, and you'll
    accelerate without really thinking about pressing harder on the pedals,
    like your legs are just spinning automagically, putting in power as
    necessary, but never taking it out (i.e. don't lean back!). Obviously,
    this only works to a point, but it'll get you up to 19-20-21mph if you
    have short enough cranks!

    --
    chuckaeronut

    Uni to work, work to eat, eat to live, live to uni. 🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chuckaeronut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14677
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. A lot of the "speed" claims are similar to, "the fish I caught was THIS
    BIG!" 🙄

    --
    MuniAddict

    I <3 FG and have Stewie Boxers 🙄
    'My videos:' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. This is an informative thread! Question for you fast guys...does the q
    factor have much influence? As in would you rather have short 102
    cranks that are steel and heavy with little q factor or 102 cranks in a
    light alloy that have a bigger q factor?

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    www.unipr'oshop.com' (http://www.uniproshop.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. On a pair of 102s the weight difference between steel and alloy is
    probably pretty minimal, especially in relation to a heavy Coker-type
    wheel. Currently I'm riding with some beautiful, alloy Qu-ax 114s, but
    eventually I will probably settle on 110s. My pair is ugly black steel
    (also straight).

    For me, I prefer the lower Q, but that may be more of a personal
    preference than anything else. I'm getting ready to shuffle around the
    pieces from my new & old Cokers to make the best possible RTL machine
    out of them. Mostly this will be the new Big One with whatever seat and
    handlebar setup I can get working on there. Then I'll see how I like
    the narrow hub on my old Coker vs. the new, wider one. I don't think
    I'll notice much difference, at least with straight cranks. The Coker
    cranks have some q.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    Email: "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
    lately?"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/69403

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.