General fitness, health and nutrition ยท Public discussion

How do you guys carry water?

Started by Daniel ยท ยท Last activity ยท 35 posts ยท 2,928 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 June 2004
Last activity
10 July 2004
Original author
Daniel
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,928
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“20 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

  2. Daniel said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚

    Camelback (not necessarily that brand). Much more
    comfortable _for me_ than having s.t. flopping around my
    waist. However, it does get a bit warm in the summer.

    The first camelback I bought (not that brand) filled by
    unscrewing something at the bottom. It always leaked. Had a
    bad experience running to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, I
    think half my drink leaked on the way down. (Notice that I
    do not claim to have _run_ back up...) The one I have now
    fills at the top, and I've never had a problem with leakage.

    If you're worried about weight, you might shop around a
    little. I suspect the one I use now is rather heavier than
    it needs to be.

    Also good for carrying your keys.

    Mike McSwell

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Daniel said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    I use a holster-style bottle carrier. It came with a 20 oz.
    bottle but it works fine with a 24 oz bottle. I loop back to
    my car for refills on long trail runs.

    I got the one where the bottle is at an angle across
    the low back; it also has a small zipper pocket for
    gels or whatever.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Th-
    en it was every other day. . . ."
    - Homer J. Simpson

  4. Daniel wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you


    I use 20oz hand carry bottles whenever possible instead of a
    camelback. I dont like things on my back or hips when I'm
    running. These bottles have a strap to help you hold them
    easily. If the run is under 90 mins I will only carry a
    bottle if its hot, or for over 2 hours I will carry 2
    bottles. Once you get used to hand carry bottles I think
    they are best. You tend to drink more, the body is free,
    they are easy to refill with powders, and easier to clean.
    When possible I plan for refill spots or do loop circuts so
    I can refill them myself.

    I experimented during last week's long run with a waist
    pack to carry food and extra bottles for longer runs where
    no refill is possible. Usually waist packs are a pain
    because you have to keep them so tight and they tend to
    bounce. An extra strap around the outside seemed to help
    last week. Using that pack with 2 hand carry bottles, and 2
    bottles in the pack, I can carry 80oz fairly comfortably,
    and I could carry up to 4 bottles the same pack. The fuller
    the pack is the more of a pain it is, but it empties out
    during the run...

    I use a camelback sometimes, usually for hiking, but I
    always carry a bottle as well because you never know when
    the camelback will run out. I get sick of sucking the water
    out, especially when running. Did I mention that I really
    hate to clean these things? lol.

    - Tony

  5. I use a urinary bladder, with an extra large drain hose.

  6. I don't run for very long (yet), but so far I've been
    comfortable wearing a cycling jersey and sticking a bottle
    in the middle back pocket. I've found that it works better
    in my more form-fitting jerseys than in the looser ones.

    Jenn Santa Clara, CA

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<BteCc.10$N-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

  7. Daniel said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    You didn't indicate how much water or food / gear you'd also
    need or summer or winter. That will affect what you use.

    My experiments of one:

    I tried a handheld a few weeks ago - with mesh holder and
    small pocket for electrolyte caps or keys or whatever. I
    really hated the sloshing sound, which is inevitable with
    arm motion. Note: I run on trails in Alaska, although mostly
    in winter. This time of year, there are moose cows and
    calves on the trail and potentially bears (calves are a nice
    meal for them). I *really* want to be aware of noises in the
    brush when I'm running some of the different trails I run in
    summer. Unless there's some magic trick to stop the sloshing
    noise, I rank a handheld up there with playing music in a
    headset, although maybe not that bad ๐Ÿ˜‰ But that's me. Maybe
    more experienced people have found a trick to running
    quietly with them.

    I've had problems with waist belts and bounce in the past,
    but had a successful maiden voyage with a UD strider last
    evening. sierratradingpost.combase no.
    82658/dept_id./est.strider/qx/product.htm You can probably
    ignore the "for women" note since REI had cornflower blue
    ones labelled "for women" and black ones labelled "for
    men" - other than that I couldn't tell the difference. I
    got the black from STP, since I couldn't imagine
    cornflower blue on a trail.

    While the waist belt itself is narrow, the pocket and
    holster are on wide webbing. The holster is a diagonal one
    so it fits the small of my back better. The pocket holds my
    camera with room for energy bars, electrolyte caps, or
    whatever. It's designed to be worn over the hip (either
    one), so the pocket might be in front and the bottle in back
    counter-balancing each other (or vice versa). I didn't
    notice any bounce last night, *and* I didn't have to have
    the belt as tight as I've had on other waist belts in the
    past - that is, I could still breathe - and my camera was
    real handy. The only real drawback last night was that I
    don't like drinking from bottles - these newer UD ones open
    wider than the old ones but close more readily, like while
    I'm drinking (I'm a sucker, not a pourer, although I tried
    pouring without much luck last night). I'll use one of the
    older bottles on next run. Bottles seem to require more
    talent than I have, so I'll probably always favor hydration
    bladders ๐Ÿ˜‰

    I recently got a camelbak Lobo (70oz) for 1-3 hr good
    weather summer runs not needing much gear. Most of the newer
    cb's have 3/4 inch waist straps, which is too narrow to
    attach some of the pockets I've used in the past (on my
    cloudwalker). The patch pocket on top (out of reach) holds
    my camera (Canon S410) and gps, larger bottom pocket holds
    food, tp, some first aid stuff. Shell fits under elastic
    cords and is covered by the top flap. (If I had one of those
    spiffy 3 oz shells, it would fit in the bottom pocket, I
    think.) When I've got some time on my hands I'm considering
    replacing the waist strap with a wider one - it's removable,
    but the attachment buckle is 3/4 inch, so I need to change
    that. I'm considering getting another strider and seeing if
    that can be attached at waist - that pocket is just the
    right size.

    And last, but favorite, is my tried and trusty, almost carry
    the kitchen sink with me, cb Cloudwalker (old model) (70oz).
    This has the old 1.5 inch waist belt where I can carry a
    CommPak with camera. The shoulder straps and sternum straps
    are more adjustable than newer ones, and I can attach some
    things on top the shoulder straps (out of way of arm
    motion). For winter runs, I can carry another insulating
    layer plus top and bottom shells in main compartment and
    food, spare batteries, map, compass, first aid, etc in the
    one small pocket (would prefer 2 pockets for this).

    In winter, I think the cb's are easier to keep from
    freezing, but you need to remember to blow fluid back in
    bladder and drink every 15 min or so to be on safe side
    so that it doesn't freeze. (I was always having trouble
    with slushies plugging the mouthpieces on water bottles,
    but never thought of carrying them upside down at the
    time. Frozen water bottles was a main reason for switch
    to cb's) As far as I can tell, cb's are weapon of choice
    in Alaskan winter.

    A couple general notes on cb's: I think all the new, lighter
    ones (say Mule and lighter) have the 3/4 inch waist belt,
    which isn't too bad unless you want to attach a convenient
    pocket for camera or food. I keep the belt loose to not
    interfere with breathing. Most have lost flexibility on
    positioning the sternum strap - may not be a big deal for
    guys, but many of them had awkward positioning for me. When
    you get up to size of Rim Runner and above, they have a
    "frame" that holds the pack away from your body to allow air
    flow - but that adds a lot of weight for running. Many of
    the lighter packs have wicking mesh (not necessarily any
    place to wick the moisture to) or a channelized back to
    allow airflow. Some of the other brands are using the newer,
    lighter fabrics resulting in much lighter packs, but I
    didn't see any I really liked there either.

    For most of my runs (mostly in winter) I use the Stoaway
    insulated bladder inside my Cloudwalker, primarily to keep
    fluids from freezing. That also provides a relatively rigid
    structure for the bladder so inserting it in pack and
    cleaning are quite easy. I could never figure out what
    people were complaining about with cleaning the bladder and
    some other issues until I started using a non-insulated one
    and it just flops around.

    I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about
    carrying water, but I've been testing some new stuff in the
    last month or so, so thought I'd post it ๐Ÿ™‚

    Dot testing new gear is mental therapy for having race
    cancelled

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  8. I use a waist belt and carry a foil pack of whatever energy
    driink I can get my hands on - a 330ml drink and my house
    keys fit in fine.

    The banging is as irritating as hell for the first mile or
    two, then I seem to forget about it. I need to keep the
    pocket on the front though - if I put it on a hip it seems
    to kill my stride.

    If I'm running a real long training run (like 20+ miles) I
    sometimes just carry money and buy drinks on the way - it's
    an excellent excuse to stop for a break.

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:BteCc.10$Nr-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

  9. I use something that is quite unique in this group. I call
    it "my bladder", it serves me well up to 9 miles a day in
    just about any heat. Drink GA or another sports drink along
    with LOTS of water (8oz every 20 minutes)and you shouldn't
    need to carry any. Longer runs, just do like my friends and
    I do, drink your whizz. Sure it's tricky aiming for your
    mouth as you run, but it makes for great small talk at the
    food tables, but for some reason people thin out rapidly
    when we approach. But that's just more for us!

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<BteCc.10$N-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

  10. "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    For shorter runs, I use an Ultimate Direction Quickdraw. I
    just bought one of these from Fuel Belt for my long runs:
    fuelbelt.comt6.html I'm very happy with it so
    far. I tried a Camelbak waistpack model which I could not
    get tight enough around my waist. That resulted in an
    annoying bounce that forced me to return it. The Camelbak
    backpack models are out of the question for me. They are too
    hot, and the straps chafe a runner too easily. They are
    really better suited for cyclists.

  11. "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    I don't. Get properly hydrated the day before and on the
    day, and for anything less than 20 miles (or 15 if it's
    really hot) you should be fine. Well, I am anyway.

    Edward
    --
    The reading group's reading group:
    bookgroup.org.ukbookgroup.org.uk

  12. Camel packs are awesome. Have used one for all my long runs.

    tom "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:BteCc.1-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

  13. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚

    I don't. If I reaaly need water (which is rare) I'll stash a
    water bottle somewhere (my front porch, a park) and run by
    it. I'll run north and back, drink. East and back, drink.
    You get the picture.

    - --
    John Mayson <[email hidden]> Austin, Texas, USA

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (Linux)

    iD8DBQFA22pe2kz4fWh3iuERAmz8AJ9L0MBygmRzuqCS8YGquVs/+r/PbwC-
    giWcF iUbjw1iTjLjc5FY6PNN5k9E= =LCxV -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  14. I know where the water fountains are!

    Jenn said:

    I don't run for very long (yet), but so far I've been
    comfortable wearing a cycling jersey and sticking a bottle
    in the middle back pocket. I've found that it works better
    in my more form-fitting jerseys than in the looser ones.

    Jenn Santa Clara, CA

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<BteCc.10$-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you


  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Jenn) said:

    I don't run for very long (yet), but so far I've been
    comfortable wearing a cycling jersey and sticking a bottle
    in the middle back pocket. I've found that it works better
    in my more form-fitting jerseys than in the looser ones.

    I've tried that and didn't like the bouncing. My bottle
    carrier really cuts down on the bouncing.

    Some people like the whole "fuel belt" thing, but that seems
    like a little more hassle than it's worth to me.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Th-
    en it was every other day. . . ."
    - Homer J. Simpson

  16. For my long run Sat I'm going to try a cycling jersey for
    gels and energy bars, and use hand carry bottle(s). I don't
    think I'd put a full bottle in the jersey pocket, but when
    most of it is gone then it should work fine.

    Jenn wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't run for very long (yet), but so far I've been
    comfortable wearing a cycling jersey and sticking a bottle
    in the middle back pocket. I've found that it works better
    in my more form-fitting jerseys than in the looser ones.

    Jenn Santa Clara, CA

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>-
    ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

  17. I've used a waist belt for years. If you cinch it up real
    tight it won't flop around.

    [email hidden] (Edward) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<BteCc.10-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    I don't. Get properly hydrated the day before and on the
    day, and for anything less than 20 miles (or 15 if it's
    really hot) you should be fine. Well, I am anyway.

    Edward
    --
    The reading group's reading group:
    bookgroup.org.ukbookgroup.org.uk

  18. FINALLY! Another bladder user. I thought I was the only one
    here who knows how to train properly.

    [email hidden] (Edward) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<BteCc.10-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    I don't. Get properly hydrated the day before and on the
    day, and for anything less than 20 miles (or 15 if it's
    really hot) you should be fine. Well, I am anyway.

    Edward
    --
    The reading group's reading group:
    bookgroup.org.ukbookgroup.org.uk

  19. Quoted message said:

    I don't. Get properly hydrated the day before and on the
    day, and for anything less than 20 miles (or 15 if it's
    really hot) you should be fine. Well, I am anyway.

    It makes all the difference if you running at 90-degrees and
    90% humidity or 60 degrees and dry. I can easily sweat a
    liter or two in 30 minutes in the firstand end up with
    sopping wet clothes and shoes.

  20. [email hidden] (Edward) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Daniel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<BteCc.10-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Any good ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

    I don't. Get properly hydrated the day before and on the
    day, and for anything less than 20 miles (or 15 if it's
    really hot) you should be fine. Well, I am anyway.

    Pretty much all I can say to that is "yikes!"

    For me, anything longer than 30-40 minutes and I'm carrying
    water. I'll alternate between wearing a "fuel belt" (which
    has the capacity to carry up to 7 7-oz. bottles) or a two-
    bottle pack from Ultimate. Both work very well for me.

    Mike C

    Quoted message said:


    Edward
    --
    The reading group's reading group:
    bookgroup.org.ukbookgroup.org.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.