How do you handle aggressive drivers while on the road?

It is always nice to live in an area where you have nice piece of real estate just in case you need to discard some organic material. Just a thought,

floorpumps said:
Yes, many drivers are so agressive. But we don't have good ideas to handle them.
Sure we do:
  • Don't respond aggressively
  • If possible, get license number and report driver
  • If possible and warranted, try to get a pic of the license plate and/or driver for police ID
  • Ride responsibly. While there's no excuse for aggressive or threatening driving, riding responsibly will at least reduce the number of things that might set off some neanderthal throwback in a car

Originally Posted by alienator .

• If possible, get license number and report driver
  • If possible and warranted, try to get a pic of the license plate and/or driver for police ID
This is the main reason I've contemplated a helmet cam.

I live in Lubbock, TX - we have arguably the worst drivers with the thought that the only important person in the world is themselves. This place is super conservative and we have no major road with a bike lane. Most lanes are not large enough for a car to safely pass, and according to our traffic laws it is okay for a cyclist to take the entire lane for their safety.

Needless to say I have a negative experience nearly every time I ride. I have had beer bottles thrown at me, college kids honking and screaming at me from their window (curse words and the old "get off the road" type yells)

More than a rude driver, the one's that really worry me are the one's without common sense. I almost T-Boned a car the other day doing about 24mph because they passed me, cut me off, slammed on their brakes and turned right a few feet ahead of me. I am just thankful I had both hands on my bike and wasn't reaching for water or I could have been a gonner.

There needs to be some sort of education on driving with cyclists during drivers education.

matthewrpollock said:
More than a rude driver, the one's that really worry me are the one's without common sense. I almost T-Boned a car the other day doing about 24mph because they passed me, cut me off, slammed on their brakes and turned right a few feet ahead of me. I am just thankful I had both hands on my bike and wasn't reaching for water or I could have been a gonner.
that is the most common thing you get in the city, i just anticipate that move by passing the car through their left once he brakes for the right turn, sometimes the best defense is to be aggressive too, in a positive manner,

Quote: Originally Posted by vspa .
that is the most common thing you get in the city, i just anticipate that move by passing the car through their left once he brakes for the right turn,
sometimes the best defense is to be aggressive too, in a positive manner,
I agree completely. Thats also why I make sure my breaks are adjusted perfectly.

I live in New York City and sometimes can't help but use a "one finger turning signal" to express my displeasure with motorists actions.

I do prefer not to lash out at all though, definitely not worth the energy.

Some advice I read elsewhere which I love and use all the time is to simply smile the biggest brightest smile you can muster at them. This is especially great for those times when you catch up to the offending driver.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif It sounds corny but it works for me!

The next, and I believe the best weapon I have is, the 1080p HD GoPro Camera prominently mounted on my helmet.

Since I have started riding with my camera on my helmet I find I get more respect as soon as people see it.

For instance, you could be on a narrow road and a driver runs up behind you to tailgate not seeing the camera, and you simply turn your head in their direction, and in most cases they will back off.

Originally Posted by BridgeNotTunnel .

I live in New York City and sometimes can't help but use a "one finger turning signal" to express my displeasure with motorists actions.
Everywhere I've ever been..... “flipping someone off” is an unlawful and obscene act... which besides being prosecutable... really offends the general public. If someone was to “flip-off” your girlfriend, wife, mother, grandmother, or do so in front of your 7 year old daughter I think you'd be offended yourself.

If you give the finger... then can't slip away in traffic you should be fully prepared to defend your “illegal rights”. Keep in mind... the offended may be armed.

But the worst part is... all motorist are actually always fully armed... with the cars they drive. You may get away from that soccer mom in the van. But I suspect she may still seek revenge on some other unsuspecting cyclist. After all the human mind tends to lump people together in groups. Your actions reflect on all cyclists.
I really wonder if most motorist realize how much harm can be caused by running a cyclist off the road. I think not.

So... the cycle of fear, anger, action continues. Where is Rodney King with his wisdom for getting along... when we need him.

You should check your sources - where is such sign language against the law? This speech is generally protected in the first amendment of the US constitution.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/03/middlefinger.pdf

Regardless, humans are social and territorial creatures. Occasional exchanges are natural and should be expected. In the end its just a pissing match which very rarely progresses to anything further. When given the chance to induce real physical injury to a complete stranger - most psychologicaly healthy indivuals would back down.

To mix it up from time to time, I like to react in unexpected (but generally safe) ways. Maybe I should practice a falling in a convincing manner - it would be an interesting social experiment to see how quickly some change their attitudes.

Threatening drivers, to me, are a helpful reminder that all vehicular traffic is dangerous - regardless of their intent. Who is more dangerous on the road - the driver that notices you or the one that does not?

I like the camera idea, perhaps I will carry a small digital in my pocket. Instead of "discussing" the situation with the driver, take a picture of them and their car.

Originally Posted by maydog .

In the end its just a pissing match which very rarely progresses to anything further. When given the chance to induce real physical injury to a complete stranger - most psychologicaly healthy indivuals would back down.
Beyond sanctioned sparring sessions in the dojo, every altercation I've arrived at in the real world started as a pissing match. Granted most fizzled out but a few ended up in bona fide fist-a-cuffs, not always concluding in my favor. Looking back I could have avoided most if not all of them. Contrary to what many believe, conversations, arguments, escalations, etc, are not a two-way street. In most instances, and almost at any time before the boiling point, we have the capacity to control the outcome from the start. Like one of my riding friends famously tells me when I conciously leave my helmet at home... "all it takes is once".

I like the falling down in a convincing manner trick. Reminds me of the character in Chuck Palahniuk's novel Choke, who pretends to choke in public food establishments in an effort to collect symathy and $$ from altruistic patrons.

You should check your sources - where is such sign language against the law? This speech is generally protected in the first amendment of the US constitution.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/03/middlefinger.pdf
The supreme court also upheld firearm ownership... following your same logic... it would be OK to shoot at people? Read the newspapers... people are arrested for such "freedoms of expressions" all the time. Nothing new... been happening for decades that I am aware of.

In CA the same gesture has been at the beginning of what was later called "road rage". I've always understood such a finger waving as an actual request for violence. I had no idea... there were people that didn't. If you would have gestured at me or my friends or family... we would have seen/taken/understood the gesture as an invitation to do you harm.

- foz, I have never gone beyond a few words as they zip by. I figure that most folks are just miserable in their cages and want to vent. I like to remind them of how miserable they are. I would be working on an exit strategy if someone were to actually get out of the car.

I envision the bicyclist from the National Lampoon's European Vacation. In my head, the prank goes perfectly and is hiliarious. In real life it may be an utter disaster.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

The supreme court also upheld firearm ownership... following your same logic... it would be OK to shoot at people? Read the newspapers... people are arrested for such "freedoms of expressions" all the time. Nothing new... been happening for decades that I am aware of.

In CA the same gesture has been at the beginning of what was later called "road rage". I've always understood such a finger waving as an actual request for violence. I had no idea... there were people that didn't. If you would have gestured at me or my friends or family... we would have seen/taken/understood the gesture as an invitation to do you harm.

I never saild that regularly "Flip off" motorists.

It is not my logic - it is the opinion of a legal expert on the matter; and no, that logic does not allow you to inflict harm on the other. My short search found no statutes or laws making such a gesture illegal in the US. I recall that in a recent, highly publicized athelitic event (Super Bowl), MIA "flipped the bird" was she arrested for illegal activity, what the legality of the gesture even in question? Yes people are arrested for this behavior, though under shaky legal grounds it seems.

In the end it is not illegal, inflammatory yes and potentially dangerous. However, should you harm me because I hurt your honor by my flipping you off, well then ....

Yes people are arrested for this behavior, though under shaky legal grounds it seems.

................ should you harm me because I hurt your honor by my flipping you off, well then ....
I am no legal scholar myself... Yes people are arrested for flipping the bird. Whether or not the Constitution or the federal courts allows such local behavior or laws may be a great conversation.... but it won't keep you from getting your butt handed to you in a Dixie cup when you tick off the wrong guy. And the wrong guy IS out there.

Or worse... it won't keep that ticked off soccer Mom from swerving her van in my direction to scare me as a way to get even with a cyclist that scared or angered her.

What I am really trying to say is: Everyone who has cycled the roads and streets at times believes cyclist and motorist seem to have an adversarial relationship. I think it would be in the best interests of all cyclist if everyone of us made an effort to improve cyclist relationships with the motoring public.

Local ordinances vary and gestures can be considered disorderly conduct. It is also a debate for freedom of speech. Some of the statutes specify that a gesture is only considered illegal in some circumstances. If you aim a gun at a target at a range it is not illegal but if you point it a person it is endangerment. Not an exact analogy but similar.
Either way the "bird" is too trivial to spend sleepless night pondering it.
Bottom line, watch your a** and avoid dangerous situations.

I have never read in the court reporter or any public police reports of someone being arrested and charged for the middle finger salute.

For the on road confrontations or situations I have encountered over the years 1 out of ten are aggressive driving related. The other nine are just people out driving and unaware of the problem they have caused along with myself having made a mistake that caused a situation to develop.

Let those who have caused no traffic disruptions amongst us be the first to wave the finger./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Either way the "bird" is too trivial to spend sleepless night pondering it.
I really don't mean to harp on this... and I mean NO offense. Plus... I wouldn't wish a sleepless night on anyone. But I really think the "finger waving" which was adopted by much of the cycling community as a trendy thing to do (thirty years ago) has served cyclist very poorly. Although the gesture may mean little in your culture... the American culture as a whole has a different perspective. I believe much of the animosities cyclist experience on the roads today are a direct result of the finger waving trend.

I understand proper research... and I have no data or supporting evidence. This is based just on my own anecdotal experiences. But if I am wrong and flipping the bird actually makes people, happy... why don't we greet our mothers that way? Why not wave at the local police using that finger since it IS protected speech as well as cheerful? Or maybe.... it might be a better representation of cyclist if we kept our hands on the handlebars.

Dave Cutter said:

I really don't mean to harp on this... and I mean NO offense. Plus... I wouldn't wish a sleepless night on anyone. But I really think the "finger waving" which was adopted by much of the cycling community as a trendy thing to do (thirty years ago) has served cyclist very poorly. Although the gesture may mean little in your culture... the American culture as a whole has a different perspective. I believe much of the animosities cyclist experience on the roads today are a direct result of the finger waving trend.

I understand proper research... and I have no data or supporting evidence. This is based just on my own anecdotal experiences. But if I am wrong and flipping the bird actually makes people, happy... why don't we greet our mothers that way? Why not wave at the local police using that finger since it IS protected speech as well as cheerful? Or maybe.... it might be a better representation of cyclist if we kept our hands on the handlebars.

It certainly hasn't benefited cyclists. I like my technique of ignoring the offending twit in the car and riding according to what the law proscribes, all the while trying to show as much courtesy as possible to drivers. Granted, most of there's not much feedback from drivers, but I've had more than a few drivers thank me for making way for them, for signaling turns, for being well lit at night, and so on. I'll take that any day over flipping someone off or getting into some juvenile war of words, threats, and **** measuring.