How do you like Giro route

bobke said:
This route has been dreamed up for Simoni.
I don`t think so, the route has been dreamed up for Basso (TTT- CSC!). He first said that he won`t start at the Giro, yesterday he said he liked the route of the Giro 2006 more than the route of the TDF. Than he said, CSC said that he won`t start at the Giro but that he will discuss the matter with Bjarne Riis. I think the Organizers want another double (the last one was done by Pantani).

06 Giro is without doubts much more interesting than Tour, imho.
Just look at the last week:eek:, and, much more importan, how montains are located in the stages.

Question: I'm thinking about seeing some stages of the Giro next year. Anyone know of any tour companies (and not Sportingtours) which go to the Giro ?

Rob81 said:
06 Giro is without doubts much more interesting than Tour, imho.
Just look at the last week:eek:, and, much more importan, how montains are located in the stages.

Seems Basso will do it, IMHO Giro 06 suits better his characteristics than Tour 06.
We'll see, 6 mounths to wait:cool:

Great route! So many climbs and half stage MTT in the last stage is very good idea!

Andrija said:
Watch it on Eurosport with great commentary of Sean Kelly.
I am just too excited. This is going to be a great race. I still have a tingly feeling when thinking about Simoni and Rujano dropping Il Falco on that crazy climb in between two ascents of Sestriere and watching him make up enough time on the descent to win the race.

Eurosport. How is it done. I have high speed connection at home and have the computer in a convenient place so I just need to know how to get hooked up to watch the coverage. HELP

During the 80's and some of the 90's the Giro had the reputation for being 'the boring one' of the 3 tours, and even though the past 9 giro's have been won by Italians the racing especially in the last several years has been superb: reason? its parcours. Its just simply FAR better than the tour de france. Granted, the ventoux and alpe d'huez etc are mythical climbs but you never get gradients going past 12%. Perusing this years Giro and there are several that reach upto 25%!! The Giro experiments, the tour seems to have every year the same 10 flat stages, 3-4 mountain stages and a couple of the same TT's...regardless of who kept winning it every year, the route was always the same; a double predictability. OK.. Lance was a difficult character, but the Giro has to conted with the huge mouth of Simoni!

Andrija said:
Watch it on Eurosport with great commentary of Sean Kelly.

Or watch on OLN and get the commentary audio off the Eurosport site. You will need to pause one of the two for about 30 seconds so that they sink up, but no big deal.

whiteboytrash said:
Question: I'm thinking about seeing some stages of the Giro next year. Anyone know of any tour companies (and not Sportingtours) which go to the Giro ?
Where do you come from, makes it easier to say which tour companies you could look for...

whiteboytrash said:
UK - London
Ok in the UK there is http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/giro/giro.html but it`s very expensive (COST: £1250) and probebly the kind of touring that you don`t want to do. I am sorry but i don`t know other tavelcompanies who are offering this in the UK. I will go by car and book some cheap hotels or i will rent a house in the north for Italy (for a week, 20-27 of May). I did this last year as well and it was pretty easy to drive to the mountain stages. The route is blocked, but pretty late. I didn`t have a problem to drive to the mountains.

In the first week i will go to Belgium (the Belgium Giro stages are a 2 hours drive for me, i live near Cologn, Germany) and the one to Namur (Citadelle) looks very intresting. I was at the GP Wallonie this year, which also finishes at the Citadelle (see the end of the profile of the GP de Wallonie, it`s the same finsh as the Giro stage to Namur: http://www.trworg.be/annee2005/gpw/img/Profil_WEB_GPW04.jpg ).

OT, to cyclingheroes: nice to see on your site the Granofondo Marco Pantani 2006. I did it in the 2005, finishing also in front:D, and I can say it's one of the most difficult and satisfactory GF in the Alps.