How do you season a carbon steel wok?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Victor Sack, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Beachygrrl <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Any advice?

    See section 5.1 of the rec.food.cooking FAQ.

    Victor

    Tags:

  2. Beachygrrl

    Beachygrrl Guest

  3. Heat the wok for a few minutes until its entire surface is hot. Using a
    heat-proof brush (e.g., the type for barbecuing) or a piece of cloth,
    brush a thin layer of cooking oil over every inch of its surface. Use
    an oil with a high smoking point (e.g., peanut oil or corn oil) to
    minimize oil fumes. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation - turn
    the fan on high and open all the windows. Tilt the wok from side to
    side, subjecting the entire surface to intense heat to burn the oil
    into it. After burning a few minutes all around, turn the heat off and
    let the pan cool completely to room temperature before beginning round
    two. When the wok has cooled, sop up the excess grease in the center
    with a paper towel. Turn the heat on high and let the wok heat for a
    few minutes until wafts of smoke can be seen lifting off its surface.
    Turn the pan from side to side and again "roast" every inch of it to
    further burn in the first layer of oil. Then, brush in another coating
    and proceed as before to burn this second layer into the pan. After a
    few minutes, turn off heat and let pan cool.

    Repeat the foregoing steps a few more times, alternating heating with
    cooling, each time burning in the previous layer before adding another
    layer. Make sure to sop up excess grease that tends to collect in the
    center before each reheating to prevent a thick, gel-like coating from
    forming there. After several coats of oil have been burned in, the wok
    will begin to turn dark, though the coloring may be uneven and
    splotchy. When the wok has developed enough of a tacky, oily surface
    that does not look dry when heated up, you may begin to use it for
    cooking.

    Google is your friend.

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    Beachygrrl wrote:
    > Everything sticks when I cook and if I don't rub oil on it after
    > washing it rusts.
    >
    > I have stopped using soap when I wash it but that isn't always
    > possible. ARGH, very frustrating. I'm almost ready to stop using it
    > alltogether. Any advice?
    >
    > Here is a link to the wok:
    > http://www.crateandbarrel.com/famil...fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

    I hope you really have a carbon steel wok. The Crate and Barrel link
    doesn't work for me, and all I find on their site is way overpriced
    fake wok-type things that won't work nearly as well. Anodized
    aluminum, stainless steel, and nonstick coatings are all unacceptable
    for wok cooking.

    There's lots in the rfc archives on seasoning and I'm not going to
    repeat it, but I will make a couple of points that might help. First,
    use a lot of heat. Get that wok *really hot*, then pour in about 2 TB
    of peanut oil and swirl it around. Now take a large handful of
    crumpled up paper towels -- the bigger the wad the less chance of
    burning yourself -- and quicly swish the oil around the entire surface
    of the wok. You don't have to try to rub it in, just be sure every bit
    is coated. Is it smoking? Good. Turn off the heat and let the wok
    sit. When cool enough, rub the paper towels around the surface again
    to smooth out the oil. Now heat it up to *really hot* again. Turn off
    the heat, take the wok over to the sink and run water into it, swirl it
    around, drain, return to stove and give a final wipe with the oily
    paper towel. Your wok is now seasoned.

    You will find it easiest to clean if -- every time -- you clean it
    immediately after cooking is finished. Dish the food out to bowls or
    plates, take the wok immediately to the sink and clean it with water
    only. Return to stove, heat, wipe dry, turn heat off and eat. If you
    do it this way it will take only seconds, while if you wait until after
    dinner you may have to soak the wok or scrub it hard or (gasp!) use
    soap.

    It is not a bad idea to rub a few drops of oil around the wok after
    cleaning it to prevent rust. -aem

  5. Victor Sack

  6. Victor Sack wrote:
    > Beachygrrl <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Any advice?

    > See section 5.1 of the rec.food.cooking FAQ.
    >
    > Victor

    And this FAQ is where?

    --

    Joe Cilinceon

  7. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Joe Cilinceon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Victor Sack wrote:
    > > Beachygrrl <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Any advice?

    > > See section 5.1 of the rec.food.cooking FAQ.

    > And this FAQ is where?

    Canned reply:
    The FAQ is posted every month. A pointer to it is posted every week
    (the latest was posted last Thursday) and should still be available on
    most newsservers, as well as on groups.google. You can also find the
    FAQ at <http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq.html>.

    Victor