General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How do you use your excess bell peppers?

Started by James · · Last activity · 42 posts · 345 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 August 2007
Last activity
17 August 2007
Original author
James
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
345
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

  2. "James" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?


    Make a bell peeper sauce( oil , onions, tomatoes sauce, minced peppers) then
    preserve for winter. Or preserve them roasted and then under oil.
    They are not crunchy but good.

  3. James <[email hidden]> dropped this turd
    news:[email hidden]: in
    rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    I guess my question would be how many do you have? I like to dice them
    and put them in a hot wok with seasoned oil and do a stir fry with them.
    Of course I add meat and other things to the stir fry. For some reason I
    really like them with a course grind of black pepper.

    Here is a recipe I found a awhile back. This is not a stir fry but you
    could certainly use a wok. It sounds tempting with a few of my own
    variations. I have yet to try it but think I'll give it a go as a side
    dish this weekend. I think I'll serve it with some grilled peppered
    steak.

    Bell pepper rings are fried and seasoned.

    INGREDIENTS:
    2 pounds green peppers (about 6 medium), cut into 1/4-inch rings
    3 tablespoons salad oil
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon salt

    PREPARATION:
    Remove ribs from pepper rings.
    Heat oil in large skillet. Add pepper rings; cook, over high heat and
    stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with
    garlic salt and salt. Serve at once.
    Makes 6 to 8 servings of pepper rings.

    --
    Due to recent cutbacks - The light at the end of the tunnel has been
    turned off.
    ~unknow author

  4. James said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    Stuffed peppers freeze kinda OK. Otherwise, grill them, skin
    them, slice them into thirds or quarters and freeze em.

    -sw

  5. "James" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    I don't grow them, so I don't usually have much in the way of
    excess bell peppers, but if I do, I dice them and freeze them.
    They come in handy for lots of things, soups or crab cakes, etc.
    Omelettes. I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
    vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

    nancy

  6. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
    vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

    What's a ditto onion?

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  7. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    James <[email hidden]> dropped this turd
    news:[email hidden]: in
    rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    I guess my question would be how many do you have? I like to dice
    them and put them in a hot wok with seasoned oil and do a stir fry
    with them. Of course I add meat and other things to the stir fry.
    For some reason I really like them with a course grind of black
    pepper.

    I agree with Michael; it would be good to know how many you have. Another
    question to ask would be, do they bother you more if they are raw or cooked?

    To use them cooked, I'll make sausage, onions and peppers (that's excellent
    as a sandwich, too!), fajitas, I'll toss them on a pizza, I'll grill them
    (they're excellent grilled and wrapped in bacon, too), I'll use them in
    kabobs....

    To use them raw, I'll slice them into wedges and use in place of bread for
    tuna salad, I'll use in green salads, I'll slice them and coat them with
    cream cheese, or I'll just slice them and dip them in ranch dressing.

    Anyway, I hope this helps!

    kili

  8. James said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    I blanch them (after cleaning) and then stuff them with a rice/steamed
    ground beef/diced tomatoes/herbs & seasoning mix, and top with lots
    of shredded cheese. I then freeze them in singles, and if they're big
    peppers and stuffed well, one pepper will make two entrees for me.

    N.

  9. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:19:49 -0700, James <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    I made the following recipe last weekend and froze the leftovers. I
    had 6 green bells but it called for reds. I used way more veggies
    than the recipe called for but only had one can of diced tomatoes. so
    I used a few tiny cans of tomato sauce. After I applied loads of
    pepper and a bit of salt I put the pork slices in a big bowl of flour
    and tossed it before flash frying. I also buttered the noodles and
    served the noodles, veggies, and meat slightly overlapping each other.

    It was a wonderfully simple meal. I froze most of it as there was
    only two of us eating. When I re-serve I'll do fresh pork but I have
    not doubt it will be just as good second time around.

    Lou

    Jagerschnitzel
    SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: June 2000 PAGE: 212

    INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
    3 cups coarsely chopped red bell pepper
    2 cups coarsely chopped onion
    1 cup thinly sliced carrot
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons water
    1 pound pork tenderloin
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray
    3 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta)
    Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

    INSTRUCTIONS:
    Pork tenderloin slices are pounded into thin cutlets (or Schnitzel)
    and served with a vegetable stew in this homage to Alpine hunters.

    1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add
    mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic; saute 10 minutes.
    Add tomatoes; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until
    vegetables are tender. Combine flour, paprika, and water in a small
    bowl. Stir into tomato mixture; cook 3 minutes or until slightly
    thick. Keep warm.

    2. Trim fat from pork; cut pork crosswise into 16 pieces. Place each
    piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten each
    piece to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
    Sprinkle both sides of pork with black pepper and salt. Place a large
    nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until
    hot. Add pork; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

    3. Serve vegetable mixture over noodles; top with pork slices. Garnish
    with parsley, if desired. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/4 cups
    sauce, 3/4 cup noodles, and 4 pork slices).

    NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 438 (19% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 2g, mono 3.6g, poly 2.7g);
    PROTEIN 35.2g; CARB 55.4g; FIBER 5.9g; CHOL 79mg; IRON 4.7mg; SODIUM
    419mg; CALC 73mg

  10. "hahabogus" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
    vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

    Quoted message said:

    What's a ditto onion?

    They're small and round and you can't tell one from the next.

    nancy

  11. James said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    Any excess peppers get diced up, sauteed until cooked way down and
    almost falling apart and then made into red pepper bread. Just
    add them to any white bread recipe toward the end of mixing.
    Add sauteed onions, too.

    --
    Reg

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    James said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    Will they turn red if you let them hang? If not skip this post but if so
    just let 'em hang. Eat what you want at your own pace. When pepper turns
    red, blacked the skin with a flame and peel it off. Slice in half and
    remove seeds. Slather with olive oil and place on hot grill until you
    get grill marks. Turn over and repeat. Serve with a squeeze of lime
    juice as an accompaniment to most any dish.
    --
    FB - FFF

    Billy
    http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

  13. James said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    You can prepare and freeze the finished dish.

    Pepper steak freezes well, as do stuffed peppers.

    I usually saute a whole mess of peppers, some with onions... freeze in
    one and two cup portions, then add to stews and soups during winter...
    also good to top omelets, burgers, and bake into corn muffins. I also
    like to add bell peppers to some of my home made tomato sauce.

    Even though I grow a lot I don't usually end up with a lot of extra
    bell peppers, they're one of the things I rarely give any away.
    Somehow they seem to get eaten in salads, very good diced into cottage
    cheese, tuna salad, slaw, etc... and I like fried peppers in so many
    things, goes great with scrambbled eggs, a western omelet, lox n'
    eggs, salami n' eggs. Sometimes when I feel ambitious I'll make up a
    big batch of fried rice and top it with sweet n' sour chicken w/
    peppers and pineapple, with snow peas and green onion, etc. Peppers
    are very good in stir frys.

    Bell peppers are easy to use up.

    http://www.recipeamerica.com/recipes/pepper.htm

    Of course you can use up a lot of bell peppers as pizza topping, or
    diced into sloppy joe.

    Here, this looks mighty tasty, and can be frozen:
    http://www.foodreference.com/html/bell-pep-pie-830.html

    Sheldon

  14. Pandora said:


    Make a bell peeper sauce.

    Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

    Sheldon

  15. my husband, the gardener, slices all the leftover peppers and throws them in
    the freezer!

    "James" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

  16. readandpostrosie said:

    my husband, the gardener, slices all the leftover peppers and throws them in
    the freezer!

    "James" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Quoted message said:

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Quoted message said:

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Some how I ended up with 25 plants including extras from other
    gardeners. I started Carnavil Mix seeds and got yellow, orange,
    purple, and green peppers. Guess I'll leave some to turn red.

    Both cooked and raw gives me problems if I eat them too late in the
    day.

  17. hahabogus said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
    vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

    What's a ditto onion?

    An onion that divides when you plant an onion set. ;-)

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Pandora said:


    Make a bell peeper sauce.

    Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

    Sheldon

    Hide the children. The "sickness" is back with delusions of grandeur. Go
    on Sheldon and tell us the story again, about how the "Forest Pansy
    reached out and grabbed (your)... oh never mind. hehe."
    --
    FB - FFF

    Billy
    http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

  19. Billy Rose said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    James said:

    Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
    do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
    once because they don't agree with me.

    Quoted message said:

    Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

    Quoted message said:

    Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

    Will they turn red if you let them hang?

    Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

    But if you pull the entire plant up by its roots and hang the plant
    upside down in a paper bag the peppers already formed on the plant
    will ripen somewhat more. Those perfect looking Holland peppers are
    produced in a controlled environment as well. Most sold in the US are
    produced in CA and FL.

    Sheldon

  20. Sheldon said:

    Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

    I guess that's why all my jalapeno and serrano peppers from the
    grocery store turn from green to red at home after a few days.

    -sw

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.