How fast can you pedal?

Bluey_27

Mar 19, 2004
Well?
i can pedal about 170rpm with 175mm cranks. Does crank size make a difference?

Bluey_27 said:
Well?
yeh, the longer the crank the easier it is to turn but you have to move more.

Bluey_27 said:
Well?
Shorter the better for high cadence. On the road 88kph in a 39x13 which is 225 give or take.

wow, 225! What kind of leg speed workouts do u do?

I started track a month or two ago. I can really feel my pedal stroke getting better, but I have to work on my track sprints (leg speed in particular)

Bluey_27 said:
wow, 225! What kind of leg speed workouts do u do?

I started track a month or two ago. I can really feel my pedal stroke getting better, but I have to work on my track sprints (leg speed in particular)
Just motorpacing and occasionally downhill sprints on my track bike. I'm certain that I've gone a lot faster on the ergo and doing the downhill track bike work but have no way to back it up.

I have done about 185 on my cyclocross bike on the lowest gear ratio of 42-32, looked pretty silly and wasn't quite smooth...

Madhouse159 said:
yeh, the longer the crank the easier it is to turn but you have to move more.
Sorry to but in on a dead post, but it seems that optimal crank length seems to be a function of lever length, shin and thigh lenth as well. I am not an expert on the subject, but the shorter the better is not always the best. BTW 84kph is either down a big hill, or that poster is a member of an elite nats team being pulled by a motorcycle.

velodrome.co.nr said:
i once went 62mph down hill
my average cadence on normal rides is around 108rpm
Your insane:) Most of the experienced track guys are telling me to do overspeed work in the 170-180 range. I am not sure if there is a practical purpose fore more than that. Seems that the top speed of the fastest in the world....no drafting or hill is about 45 mph.(73kph) 50 mph with a motorcycle. Hey I could be wrong too. My fatest on a flat is 39 mph 48x15 155 rpm. I stored it on powertap

While riding on a 39x12 I've done 300rpm give or take 10rpm for about 10 seconds on a stationary bike with zero resistance but my heart rate went from like 50% to 95% so I had to slow down. I was literally taking off... ;-)

I don't know much about gear ratio's and stuff but i was on a mates road bike a few days ago, he has a candence mode on his cycle computer on a flat i had reached a max rpm of 176. i wasn't in a top gear or anything 16speed i was probably in about 10th. the fastest i have ever gone was in a track sprint against the same mate and my coach who incidently is my mates brother. He was ranked 8th in australia in 200m sprint he did something like 12secs. anyways i lost the race but hit 59km/h they marked about 62km/h. it was a 4 lap scratch.

Bluey_27 said:
Bluey_27 said:

I can hit 198 on my road bike in my smallest gear. I never tried a stationary bike. I did it on my trainer and only got a bit higher. To 204. It felt like my chain was going to snap.

There’s a lot o variations with in leg speeds. One will be super high but that’s because he is on one of those stationary bikes.