How important is good equipment, really?

asbvic

Jul 11, 2011
I've always had an entry-level roadbike (2003 Giant OCR 3) to get places, and occasionally went on longer rides. Recently I've taken more of an interest in cycling, and tried out a nicer bike (full carbon frame, 105 groupset). It seemed to go smoother (my Giant always creaked and clicked), but without timing myself or having a speedometer I don't know if it actually made any speed difference.

I'd like to join my university's cycling team, but I don't have my Giant anymore so I need a new bike. I don't really want to spend more than 400 CAD though, obviously on a used bike. I'm not too concerned about weight, so anything fancy like a carbon frame isn't of much interest in me. I'm almost 200 pounds so a pound or two saved for the extra cost just doesn't seem worth it. But where does equipment really count in making a bike faster? I assume it is mostly just friction in the chainset and freewheel? What kind of bike would any of you suggest for someone with my budget? I don't really know enough about different kinds of bikes.

The most important things on a road bike are that it fits you well, it's mechanically sound - wheels are round and true, the gears change smoothly and the brakes are in good working order and that the tyres have no noticable cuts and there's some tread left on them. That's about it really.

Bike fit is way more important that lots of carbon goodies or a "fancy name brand" bike. Sure a well engineered carbon frame from a top manufacturer will give a fantastic ride but if it doesn't fit then that'll be negated by pain most likely in the lower back and neck. A bike that doesn't fit also doesn't put you properly over the frame to distribute weight over the front and back wheels properly and makes for a rather bad handling bike.

For most folk the better equipment brings with it marginally better shifting and braking but mostly bragging rights and a bigger smile when it's all clean and shiny. Shifting... doesn't matter really because the difference is that small it won't be affecting the outcome of races. Braking, I can tell the difference between Dura Ace and 105 - but maybe some of that is in the pads and not the calipers. For those who like to work on their own bike equipment the better quality stuff is a joy to work on. Chain friction and bearing friction (unless your bearings are shot) play a very small roll in the grand scheme of things - the biggest enemy against forward progress is the wind and we're back to bike fit again as it's the rider, not the bike, that presents the biggest surface area. In terms of bike goodies that help - aero wheels. A nice set of Zipp 404 or 808 or the equivalent HED Stingers will provide nice gains over a stock set of wheels - but at a price that's a little beyond what you state.

For a good bike at low prices, you really couldn't go wrong with a Cannondale CAAD5 or higher (the higher the number the newer it is) with Ultegra or 105. They're not as bone jarring as people make out and were good enough for the Pro's to use back in the day.

Thank you for the great advice.

How do I know if the bike is a good fit? I'm kind of used to riding on bikes that don't fit well, I bought my Giant when I was 13 so it has been too small for me for quite some time. I'm about 6'2"-3", but I have a long torso with comparatively shorter legs. What frame size should I be looking at? 58cm? And what other components are involved in the "fit" of the bike?

Top tube length, stem length, bar width, crank length, seat height. There are charts and methods to size a bike but as always I suggest going to a good shop or find a person that is experienced fitting a bike. Cyber fitting is guess work at best.

Originally Posted by asbvic .

Thank you for the great advice.

How do I know if the bike is a good fit? I'm kind of used to riding on bikes that don't fit well, I bought my Giant when I was 13 so it has been too small for me for quite some time. I'm about 6'2"-3", but I have a long torso with comparatively shorter legs. What frame size should I be looking at? 58cm? And what other components are involved in the "fit" of the bike?
There are a bunch of online fit calculators on the internet. Two that I use are:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
and
http://veloweb.ca/bike-fit/

Either of these will get you in the ballpark. As jhusky said though, if you are not experienced in fitting, it is best to go to a bike shop that uses a fit kit. The process takes 2-3 hours and costs around $100, but it is well worth the money spent to get a bike that fits right and is comfortable to ride.

The basis of fit first involves the size frame that is best for you. That cannot be ascertained by someone's height because everyone is built just a little bit differently. The seat height and set back are also issued that are taken into account. The length of the stem is also determined, as are the length of the crank arms. The seat angle and the handlebar angle are also determined.

There is also a bit of personal preference that comes into play. I am 6 feet tall with a 32 inch inseam. By all rights, I should be riding a 56cm frame bike but I prefer a 58cm frame with a 60mm stem and a crank length of 172.5cm - 175cm. So, even though a fit says that you should be riding a certain size bike, it is better to ride what you are comfortable on. After a fitting is done, don't be afraid of trying out other frame sizes, say +/- 3cm.

Hmm, this is all looking too complicated. I can't really afford to pay someone $100 just to tell me what the perfect measurements should be for my bike, when there is next to no chance I'll find a bike with those exact measurements on the used market anyway. Guess I'll just be stuck with a sub-par bike for a few years until I get some disposable income.

Talk with your university's cycling coach. If the team has a need for additional talent, they will help you get set up. (as far as fit) Don't expect them to furnish a bike, but someone may have access to a bike that will fit your situation. If there isn't a place on the team for you, don't give up - cyclists are a pretty tight community, so stay involved and work your way into the sport in whatever way you can. If you have passion and talent, you'll eventually run into someone who can help you bring it all together.

Use the online calculators suggested and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to look for geometry-wise. Top tube length is important. You can make "fine adjustments" with stems, bars, and other settings. Some of the calculators will spell that out for you after you enter your specific measurements. Once you know the basics, you can research the specifications of the bikes you find in your price range to decide if a particular bike is worth investigating. The more serious you get into cycling, the more attention you may want to pay to "perfect fit". It would be nice to do that now, but you have to work within whatever budget you have.

Don't "use" shop personnel's expertise if you don't intend to purchase form them. Be honest - tell them your objectives and limitations and they'll help you as much as they can. If you are serious about cycling and can "re-prioritize" some of your disposable funds (if you have any as a university student :grin:) then do that too. Keep asking here - lots of people have good info to share.