Road Cycling · Public discussion

How long does it take to train to do hills ?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 17 posts · 950 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
4 April 2007
Last activity
5 April 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
950
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

  2. Quoted message said:

    Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the hill. Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    Pushing hard isn't the problem : pushing too hard, too long is. But 2-3 of solid climbing intensity, and one easy climb (focusing on technique), per week isn't too taxing.
    Dan

  3. Quoted message said:

    Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    dumbass,

    the pro method is 800mL of packed cells on the rest day and avoid the
    bonn prosecutor.

  4. Quoted message said:

    the pro method is 800mL of packed cells on the rest day and avoid the
    bonn prosecutor.

    800ml of orange juice if reputed to work as well.

  5. Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    the pro method is 800mL of packed cells on the rest day and avoid the
    bonn prosecutor.

    800ml of orange juice if reputed to work as well.

    If using orange juice, probably better to drink it rather than
    transfuse it

  6. amit said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the pro method is 800mL of packed cells on the rest day and avoid the
    bonn prosecutor.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    800ml of orange juice if reputed to work as well.

    need more sun said:

    If using orange juice, probably better to drink it rather than
    transfuse it

    So they've developed drinkable Orange Juice then ? The wonders of modern
    science.

  7. need more sun said:

    If using orange juice, probably better to drink it rather than
    transfuse it

    Especially Pulpy. Clogs the needles.

    Unless you use really big needles.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  8. On Apr 4, 12:44 am, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the hill. Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    Pushing hard isn't the problem : pushing too hard, too long is. But 2-3 of solid climbing intensity, and one easy climb (focusing on technique), per week isn't too taxing.
    Dan

    You can hurt yourself by being too intense for a few seconds. I guess
    I am in a different league from you because my intervals are an hour
    straight up the mountain. Intervals of 5 minutes sounds really really
    weak. Five minute intervals would be good for a beginner. Thanks for
    your advice even though i will ingnore it .

  9. Curtis L. Russell said:

    On 4 Apr 2007 05:24:32 -0700, "need more sun"

    Quoted message said:

    If using orange juice, probably better to drink it rather than
    transfuse it

    Especially Pulpy. Clogs the needles.

    Unless you use really big needles.

    And since the big ones are expensive, it is wise to reuse and/or share
    them.

    Joseph

  10. in message <46135768.4050905@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>, Dan Connelly

    ('d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m') said:
    Quoted message said:

    Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval
    workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the hill.
    Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    If we're being serious, that's the surface like, how technical is it, and
    so on?

    1000 metres climb on a steady even gradient of one in ten on smooth tarmac
    is one thing; 1000 metres climb on twisting, switchbacking technical
    singletrack with loose surfaces is quite another. I can do the first; the
    second, I'd lose concentration, lose my line, and fall off a lot...

    Training for the two climbs would be entirely different.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

  11. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <46135768.4050905@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>, Dan Connelly

    ('d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m') said:
    Quoted message said:

    Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    Quoted message said:

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval
    workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the hill.
    Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    If we're being serious, that's the surface like, how technical is it, and
    so on?

    1000 metres climb on a steady even gradient of one in ten on smooth tarmac
    is one thing; 1000 metres climb on twisting, switchbacking technical
    singletrack with loose surfaces is quite another. I can do the first; the
    second, I'd lose concentration, lose my line, and fall off a lot...

    Training for the two climbs would be entirely different.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke)http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

    The 1000 meters/10 kms I practice on is paved road. I do it in the
    lowest gear. The up hill part of the race will be on well groomed
    gravel paths. The technical part will be downhill. I like the 1000
    meter/10 km paved route because other people race it so it gives
    incentive to do it. There is a a gravel path parallel to the road but
    the paved route is easier. I guess I should train on the gravel path
    but im stupid and lazy.

  12. Quoted message said:

    On Apr 4, 12:44 am, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval > > workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the
    hill. Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    Quoted message said:

    Pushing hard isn't the problem : pushing too hard, too long is. But > > 2-3 of solid climbing intensity, and one easy climb (focusing on
    technique), per week isn't too taxing.
    Dan

    You can hurt yourself by being too intense for a few seconds. I guess
    I am in a different league from you because my intervals are an hour
    straight up the mountain. Intervals of 5 minutes sounds really really
    weak. Five minute intervals would be good for a beginner. Thanks for
    your advice even though i will ingnore it .

    Okay, you're the expert, so why are you asking us?

    One hour efforts are time trials, and not intervals
    as Dan means it unless you are very disciplined and
    can ride steadily on the verge between suffering and
    barfing-on-the-top-tube for an hour. Riding hard
    for an hour is good training, but if you're not crying
    to make it stop at the end of it, you're probably not
    going hard enough to call it an interval. If you're
    doing this every day, you probably aren't going hard
    enough to maximize the benefit (on the principle that
    there should be both hard and easy days).

    A 5 minute interval (better, several 5 minute intervals)
    is not easier than a 1 hour threshold effort, or strictly
    for beginners. It's just over quicker. But you work
    harder during the interval. Both have their place.
    If your race is a steady climb, that suggests adjusting
    the balance of training toward longer efforts; if it's
    a series of up and down, you may wish you had also
    trained for hard shorter efforts.

    Ben
    Doesn't training for "adventure racing" take
    some of the adventure out of it?

  13. Quoted message said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <46135768.4050905@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>, Dan Connelly

    Quoted message said:
    ('d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m') said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    > where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    > pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    > intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    > to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    > that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval
    workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the hill.
    Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    Quoted message said:

    If we're being serious, that's the surface like, how technical is it, and
    so on?

    Quoted message said:

    1000 metres climb on a steady even gradient of one in ten on smooth tarmac
    is one thing; 1000 metres climb on twisting, switchbacking technical
    singletrack with loose surfaces is quite another. I can do the first; the
    second, I'd lose concentration, lose my line, and fall off a lot...

    Quoted message said:

    Training for the two climbs would be entirely different.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke)http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Quoted message said:

    'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

    The 1000 meters/10 kms I practice on is paved road. I do it in the
    lowest gear. The up hill part of the race will be on well groomed
    gravel paths. The technical part will be downhill. I like the 1000
    meter/10 km paved route because other people race it so it gives
    incentive to do it. There is a a gravel path parallel to the road but
    the paved route is easier. I guess I should train on the gravel path
    but im stupid and lazy.

    Just curious, are you also training for the technical descents? Is
    that where the adventure begins?

    Bret

  14. Bret said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Apr 4, 2:55 pm, Simon Brooke <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in message <46135768.4050905@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>, Dan Connelly

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ('d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m'😉 wrote:
    > [email hidden] wrote:
    >> Compared to learning how to run? I have an adventure race in 4 weeks
    >> where there will be intermediate mountain bike downhill and some
    >> pretty steep hills. I guess it is important to find the right
    >> intenstiy to train at. If i push it too much , it will take too long
    >> to recover. There is a 10 km hill with 1000 meters of elevation gain
    >> that i might train on.(mt seymour, canada).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval
    > workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the hill.
    > Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If we're being serious, that's the surface like, how technical is it, and
    so on?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1000 metres climb on a steady even gradient of one in ten on smooth tarmac
    is one thing; 1000 metres climb on twisting, switchbacking technical
    singletrack with loose surfaces is quite another. I can do the first; the
    second, I'd lose concentration, lose my line, and fall off a lot...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Training for the two climbs would be entirely different.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke)http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

    Quoted message said:

    The 1000 meters/10 kms I practice on is paved road. I do it in the
    lowest gear. The up hill part of the race will be on well groomed
    gravel paths. The technical part will be downhill. I like the 1000
    meter/10 km paved route because other people race it so it gives
    incentive to do it. There is a a gravel path parallel to the road but
    the paved route is easier. I guess I should train on the gravel path
    but im stupid and lazy.

    Just curious, are you also training for the technical descents? Is
    that where the adventure begins?

    Bret- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    I trained last year for the descents. The first time I did an
    adventure race I didnt know anything about technical descents and was
    quite surprised that anyone could even do that stuff. I'm learning.

  15. On Apr 4, 10:13 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Apr 4, 12:44 am, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd find a good guide to training, and use it to guide your interval > > workouts on the hill, but not focus on just riding up and down the
    hill. Instead: good, quality, 5 minute intervals.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pushing hard isn't the problem : pushing too hard, too long is. But > > 2-3 of solid climbing intensity, and one easy climb (focusing on
    technique), per week isn't too taxing.
    Dan

    Quoted message said:

    You can hurt yourself by being too intense for a few seconds. I guess
    I am in a different league from you because my intervals are an hour
    straight up the mountain. Intervals of 5 minutes sounds really really
    weak. Five minute intervals would be good for a beginner. Thanks for
    your advice even though i will ingnore it .

    Okay, you're the expert, so why are you asking us?

    One hour efforts are time trials, and not intervals
    as Dan means it unless you are very disciplined and
    can ride steadily on the verge between suffering and
    barfing-on-the-top-tube for an hour. Riding hard
    for an hour is good training, but if you're not crying
    to make it stop at the end of it, you're probably not
    going hard enough to call it an interval.

    I'm definitely crying when I do the 10 kms with 1000 meter elevation
    gain. Im not breathing hard because I do alot of mountain climbing but
    my legs are straining. there is definitely somthing unpleasant about
    it. It takes me a couple days to recover.
    One reason I gravitate to doing this is that it is quite easy to
    motivate myself. Its quite simple. you just keep climbing until you
    reach the top. There are enough people around watching to keep you
    honest.

    If you're

    Quoted message said:

    doing this every day, you probably aren't going hard
    enough to maximize the benefit (on the principle that
    there should be both hard and easy days).

    A 5 minute interval (better, several 5 minute intervals)
    is not easier than a 1 hour threshold effort, or strictly
    for beginners. It's just over quicker. But you work
    harder during the interval. Both have their place.
    If your race is a steady climb, that suggests adjusting
    the balance of training toward longer efforts; if it's
    a series of up and down, you may wish you had also
    trained for hard shorter efforts.

    Yes, I should probably try to practice doing some short intervals
    especially fast.

    Quoted message said:


    Ben
    Doesn't training for "adventure racing" take
    some of the adventure out of it?- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    I really dont want an adventure. I just do adventure racing because I
    cant run. I have good lungs from hiking so I tend to start passing the
    runners on the hills and the biking part of race. Once I learn to run,
    it will be all gravy.

  16. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    im stupid and lazy.

    Correct.

    You should listen to Dan. 5 minute intervals will be good for your hill
    climbing.

  17. Donald Munro said:
    amit said:
    Quoted message said:

    > the pro method is 800mL of packed cells on the rest day and avoid the
    > bonn prosecutor.


    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    800ml of orange juice if reputed to work as well.


    need more sun said:

    If using orange juice, probably better to drink it rather than
    transfuse it

    So they've developed drinkable Orange Juice then ? The wonders of modern
    science.

    With enough vodka mixed in, orange juice is drinkable.

    Also, it's at this juncture that I must recommend kenacort.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.