UK and Europe · Public discussion

How long have you had your current cycle for?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 34 posts · 504 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 February 2007
Last activity
26 February 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
504
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

  2. [email hidden] wrote on 24/02/2007 10:13 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    Between 1 and 31 years depending on which of my cycles you are referring to.

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  3. Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005.

    You?

    Oldest 37 years, most recent 3 years.

    John B

  4. Tony Raven said:

    [email hidden] wrote on 24/02/2007 10:13 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    Quoted message said:

    I just cycle about.

    Quoted message said:

    It rules.

    Quoted message said:

    You?

    Between 1 and 31 years depending on which of my cycles you are referring to.

    Just the one you run about with the most.

    Thanks.

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    There was an article in The Times last Thursday. "Mr Hopkins purchased a
    second hand ten speed Rotrax for £15 back in 1956. Together man and machine
    have covered 100,000 miles. He has just replaced the bike with a £1400 Trek
    MTB." Now that's some going!

  6. [email hidden] wrote on 24/02/2007 10:45 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Raven said:

    [email hidden] wrote on 24/02/2007 10:13 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.
    I just cycle about.
    It rules.
    You?


    Between 1 and 31 years depending on which of my cycles you are referring to.

    Just the one you run about with the most.

    There's no such thing. I use them all.

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  7. Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    Which *bit* of my bike? My Dahon is less than 2 years old, but the
    saddle I have owned since 1993.

    Similarly, my Raleigh frame is from 2000 but the chainset dates from
    1996, and the wheels are less than 2 years old.

    My Giant Tourer was purchased in 1996 but is used far less frequently
    than the Raleigh.

  8. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    My mate's dad has a Bates BAR owned from new since 1947.

    I'm hoping to own it from 2007 ;-)

    Apart from that my bikes range from being owned by me from 4-5 years to 8
    months. Their ages vary from 25 years old to 1 yearold.

    The one that I ride the most, the Dawes Galaxy, is of indeterminate age.

    -=V=-

  9. [email hidden] said the following on 24/02/2007 10:13:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    Quoted message said:

    You?

    The oldest bike I own I've had for 9 years 10 months and 26 days.

    Roughly.

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] writes

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    Summer of 1986.
    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  11. [email hidden] <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    Heh, depends ... Frame from ~1988/98. everything else has been changed
    at some time, so anything from 18 ish years old to less than one year
    (Inner Tube) .. 😉

    --
    Paul - [censored]

  12. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?


    6 November 2006, Thorn Raven Tour. Only done 800 miles on it so far!
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.


    I bought it new in 1979. Since then it's had two new frames, about five
    sets of wheels ...

  14. "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.


    I bought it new in 1979. Since then it's had two new frames, about five
    sets of wheels ...

    Reminds me of Triggers broom!
    Fred

  15. Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    Oldest about 15 years, but it has a 1940s frame! Youngest, about a year.

  16. "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    My mate's dad has a Bates BAR owned from new since 1947.

    I'm hoping to own it from 2007 ;-)

    Apart from that my bikes range from being owned by me from 4-5 years to 8
    months. Their ages vary from 25 years old to 1 yearold.

    The one that I ride the most, the Dawes Galaxy, is of indeterminate age.

    -=V=-

    I ride my Dawes Galaxy (25 years old) to work. Not many original features
    still left though.

    Sunday rides an Aravis Audax (2 years old).

    Cheers

    Peter.

  17. Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?


    Oldest is a 2000 - rigged up on the turbo on a near permanent basis
    Middle is a 2006 - for general training and some sporting depending on
    weather
    Newest is a 2007 - for fair weather only, and my France trip later this
    year - it's just oh so shiny!!

    Some others have come and gone in the meantime, but this is the current
    contents of the shed.

  18. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    I've had my "main" audax bike since 1999. Due to a break from cycling from
    2002-2005 it's only done about 4500 miles so most of it (apart from the
    tyres) is original.

    My other bike, the fixer, is more of a mongrel. The frame dates from 1982
    but everything else has been changed at least once since then. In fact the
    frame was a replacement for an older one which I damaged in a youthful
    crash, so the bike itself dates back beyond that. What do you put down as
    the age of your bike in this case?

    --

    Nigel

  19. "Præthön" <praethonatnerdshackdotcom> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    There was an article in The Times last Thursday. "Mr Hopkins purchased a
    second hand ten speed Rotrax for £15 back in 1956. Together man and
    machine have covered 100,000 miles. He has just replaced the bike with a
    £1400 Trek MTB." Now that's some going!

    40 miles a week? It's not that great going .. .or are you just saying that
    the bike survived 50 years is great going? Again, I'm not really sure it's
    that amazing .. a well looked after, fair weather used cycle should last.
    Now, if he did 40 miles a week downhilling and it lasted 50 years, I'd be
    impressed.

    A ten mile each way commute every day, you'd do 260,000 miles in that time.
    However, bikes aren't built to last nowadays, they are built to be light and
    strong. His £1400 Trek won't last that long, thereagain I doubt he'll be
    doing another 50 years on it anyway.

  20. "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Præthön" <praethonatnerdshackdotcom> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had mines since the Summer of 2005. I don't know how I survived
    without.

    I just cycle about.

    It rules.

    You?

    There was an article in The Times last Thursday. "Mr Hopkins purchased a
    second hand ten speed Rotrax for £15 back in 1956. Together man and
    machine have covered 100,000 miles. He has just replaced the bike with a
    £1400 Trek MTB." Now that's some going!

    40 miles a week? It's not that great going .. .or are you just saying that
    the bike survived 50 years is great going? Again, I'm not really sure it's
    that amazing .. a well looked after, fair weather used cycle should last.
    Now, if he did 40 miles a week downhilling and it lasted 50 years, I'd be
    impressed.

    A ten mile each way commute every day, you'd do 260,000 miles in that
    time. However, bikes aren't built to last nowadays, they are built to be
    light and strong. His £1400 Trek won't last that long, thereagain I doubt
    he'll be doing another 50 years on it anyway.

    It was more the fact that his 50 year old bike was still going strong. I
    agree with you, when I read that he had replaced it with a Trek, that it
    wont have the same longevity. In total, including the other bikes he has
    travelled on during that period, he has covered 280,000 miles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.