General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How long maple syrup last?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,596 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 February 2006
Last activity
23 February 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,596
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Kswck said:

    better off buying a smaller container. It keeps longer in glass, but a BIG
    plastic container is probably just wasting money for one.

    Maple syrup is much more expensive to buy in small containers. It is more
    economical to buy it in in a large quantity and then put it up in preserving
    jars for later use.

  2. Kswck said:

    better off buying a smaller container. It keeps longer in glass, but
    a BIG plastic container is probably just wasting money for one.

    Nah. I bought one of the plastic jugs and used it pretty sparingly. I
    don't make pancakes or French toast all that often, although I did use
    it on oatmeal sometimes. The syrup kept fine in the refrigerator for a
    long time until I used it up. Near the end, it did crystalize some (you
    could hear a lump rattling around) but that's not a big deal.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  3. Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall said:

    THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:

    So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    better?

    Real maple syrup is by definition pretty organic, after all it's simply
    boiled tree sap.

    Pete C.

  4. "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall said:

    THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:

    So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    better?

    Real maple syrup is by definition pretty organic, after all it's simply
    boiled tree sap.

    Pete C.

    As I said before, if anyone is interested, google on rfc the brand I
    mentioned in my post and you will get the information the poster gave
    regarding this brand. I believe this is pretty much the same sort of
    conversation that we are having now, but this poster I am speaking of gave a
    more in depth posting regarding maple syrup than I can.
    Dee Dee

  5. "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall said:

    THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:

    So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    better?

    Real maple syrup is by definition pretty organic, after all it's simply
    boiled tree sap.

    Pete C.

    Here's something close of which I speak:

    http://groups.google.com/group/OrganicLife/browse_frm/thread/ea6ceed31a06ca3e/266a74392d6cca02?lnk=st&q=syrup%2Bformaldehyde&rnum=3&hl=en#266a74392d6cca02

    Maple syrup made from the sap of maple trees is up to 60 percent
    sucrose. It is essential that consumers use certified organic maple
    syrup because of the danger of chemical residues from forests sprayed
    with pesticides. Additionally, many maple syrup producers use
    formaldehyde pellets in the sap holes to prevent the holes from closing
    and formaldehyde in holding tanks as a preservative. Chemical
    anti-foaming agents may also be added to non-organic maple syrup.

  6. Wayne Boatwright wrote on 22 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:59:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    Myraide?

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM

    But that stuff is expensive.

    Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    it all.

    Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    i have kept it in glass bottles for close to a year and it seems to
    taste fine. but these are glass bottles, don't know about plastic.
    myraide

    My parents used to buy it by the gallon (usually several), divide it
    amongst pint jars and pressure can it. They always said that maple
    syrup could go sour once opened. I dunno.

    I used to get it in (IIRC) 16 oz cans from a Quebec farm, case at a time.
    Once opened after about 6 months you'd get candy forming in the can.
    After about a yr open mold could develop.

    --
    -Alan

  7. Dee Randall said:


    "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:

    So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    better?

    Real maple syrup is by definition pretty organic, after all it's simply
    boiled tree sap.

    Pete C.

    Here's something close of which I speak:

    http://groups.google.com/group/OrganicLife/browse_frm/thread/ea6ceed31a06ca3e/266a74392d6cca02?lnk=st&q=syrup%2Bformaldehyde&rnum=3&hl=en#266a74392d6cca02

    Maple syrup made from the sap of maple trees is up to 60 percent
    sucrose. It is essential that consumers use certified organic maple
    syrup because of the danger of chemical residues from forests sprayed
    with pesticides. Additionally, many maple syrup producers use
    formaldehyde pellets in the sap holes to prevent the holes from closing
    and formaldehyde in holding tanks as a preservative. Chemical
    anti-foaming agents may also be added to non-organic maple syrup.

    I strongly suspect that this is more eco-nut delusions much like the
    Teflon ones. I've seen a few maple syrup production facilities and can't
    say I ever saw or heard of formaldehyde being used anywhere. At any rate
    I get my maple syrup from one small place in CT since I've found it to
    be superior to most everything else I've tried.

    Pete C.

  8. "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    >
    > "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    > >THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:
    >
    > So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    > better?

    Real maple syrup is by definition pretty organic, after all it's simply
    boiled tree sap.

    Pete C.

    Here's something close of which I speak:

    http://groups.google.com/group/OrganicLife/browse_frm/thread/ea6ceed31a06ca3e/266a74392d6cca02?lnk=st&q=syrup%2Bformaldehyde&rnum=3&hl=en#266a74392d6cca02

    Maple syrup made from the sap of maple trees is up to 60 percent
    sucrose. It is essential that consumers use certified organic maple
    syrup because of the danger of chemical residues from forests sprayed
    with pesticides. Additionally, many maple syrup producers use
    formaldehyde pellets in the sap holes to prevent the holes from closing
    and formaldehyde in holding tanks as a preservative. Chemical
    anti-foaming agents may also be added to non-organic maple syrup.

    I strongly suspect that this is more eco-nut delusions much like the
    Teflon ones. I've seen a few maple syrup production facilities and can't
    say I ever saw or heard of formaldehyde being used anywhere. At any rate
    I get my maple syrup from one small place in CT since I've found it to
    be superior to most everything else I've tried.

    Pete C.

    Thanks for your response.
    Dee Dee

  9. Dave Smith wrote:
    || He often had a bowl of maple syrup
    || with bread and butter for dessert.

    Now *THAT* sounds like something that I would do, 'though I haven't
    yet. Yet!

    BOB
    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  10. BOB said:

    Dave Smith wrote:
    || He often had a bowl of maple syrup
    || with bread and butter for dessert.

    Now *THAT* sounds like something that I would do, 'though I haven't
    yet. Yet!

    I would recommend only a small bowl of it. I could never handle eating
    maple syrup like that. He would pour it into a fruit nappy and expect
    me to eat it all. I think he like maple syrup a hell of a lot more
    than I did.

  11. Dave Smith said:

    Maple syrup is much more expensive to buy in small containers. It is more
    economical to buy it in in a large quantity and then put it up in preserving
    jars for later use.

    Good idea

    Thanks

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.