How long to get in biking shape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark S

Hi, Does anyone have any idea how long it will take me to get in reasonable biking condition? I just
purchased a Rans V2 and am anxious to get into biking. I am in pretty good condition (Ran Boston
Marathon in April and have another marathon tomorrow). I'm hoping to use biking as cross training
for running but would like to be able to do an occasional hundred-miler, etc.

Thanks, Mark

Mark S wrote:
> Hi, Does anyone have any idea how long it will take me to get in reasonable biking condition? I
> just purchased a Rans V2 and am anxious to get into biking. I am in pretty good condition (Ran
> Boston Marathon in April and have another marathon tomorrow). I'm hoping to use biking as cross
> training for running but would like to be able to do an occasional hundred-miler, etc.
>
I have heard that recumbents don't do well in triathlons because they use a lot of the same muscles,
so you may be closer to riding that century than you think. OTOH, this might be a Bad Thing if the
V2 doesn't use at least slightly different muscles! Try a few 25-35 milers next week in the
evenings, and if they go well, you're ready! At least you won't have to worry about saddle soreness.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark S wrote:
> > Hi, Does anyone have any idea how long it will take me to get in reasonable biking condition? I
> > just purchased a Rans V2 and am anxious to get into biking. I am in pretty good condition (Ran
> > Boston Marathon in April and have another marathon tomorrow). I'm hoping to use biking as cross
> > training for running but would like to be able to do an occasional hundred-miler, etc.

like anything else it all depends on how often you ride, and where you ride, flat 100 miles or hilly
50 miles, just ride as much as possible,

John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark S wrote:
> > Hi, Does anyone have any idea how long it will take me to get in reasonable biking condition? I
> > just purchased a Rans V2 and am anxious to get into biking. I am in pretty good condition (Ran
> > Boston Marathon in April and have another marathon tomorrow). I'm hoping to use biking as cross
> > training for running but would like to be able to do an occasional hundred-miler, etc.
> >
> I have heard that recumbents don't do well in triathlons because they use a lot of the same
> muscles, so you may be closer to riding that century than you think. OTOH, this might be a Bad
> Thing if the V2 doesn't use at least slightly different muscles! Try a few 25-35 milers next week
> in the evenings, and if they go well, you're ready! At least you won't have to worry about saddle
> soreness.

That could be good if recumbents use a lot of the same muscles. I would like to avoid the pounding
of running every day but yet still get a good workout.

I survived marathon number 11 today. It wasn't real pretty, the temps were in the 70s by the end.
But I'm feeling pretty good. I hope I recover quickly to start putting miles on my new bike!!! I
can't wait!!

Mark

Mark S <[email protected]> wrote:
: Hi, Does anyone have any idea how long it will take me to get in reasonable biking condition?

I'm quite certain it depends most on how you define "reasonable". I'd say you're there once you
learn how to ride around and avoid falling on your bike ;)

The long answer is you first establish what's your starting level in cycling, and the goals you want
to reach. Then you just cover the ground between with training.

: Marathon in April and have another marathon tomorrow). I'm hoping to use biking as cross training
: for running but would like to be able to do an occasional hundred-miler, etc.

Be sure to give us a follow-up on how long it took you before you were doing centuries on
the bike :)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

Status
Not open for further replies.