[email hidden] (Seth Jayson) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:OK, say you're a naturally tinkery kind of person: not afraid to cut open your plumbing, knock out
walls and floors, take stuff off your bike, etc.
How long would it take you to be able to weld a bike that wouldn't fall apart (until you at
least put a few miles on it)? I'm not saying, get GOOD at it, but just get something. Perhaps
purge the system.
OK, I'm talking about myself, and I've welded in the past, but never tubes, and I'm not a brazer.
I'm picturing starting not with custom-chunks, but stuff from police auctions, hacked and
reassembled.
Should ya take a couple welding classes at the local community college?
(don't think I'm into the no-weld or wooden scene)
sj
Many people have done just as you speak of, some I am sure have been less talented and some more.
Unless you are really good with TIG welding, torch brazing is the way to go in my book. You may
be able to put the thing all together in a wooden jig and take it to a good welder, if learning
to TIG or Braze hasn't been one of your life long dreams. For me, the concept incubates about a
year+, and I begin acquiring the materials during that time. The actual building might take less
than a month of free time if you already have a firm idea of what you want it all to look like.
Mine change shape as I build them, and usually take about 3 months. Some guys can do it in a
weekend. If you work from a set of plans it may take very little time at all.
happy trails, rorschandt pictures.care2.com174801833Open ↗