Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

How many miles is a wind trainer worth?

Started by Deest · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,176 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
12 August 2005
Last activity
13 August 2005
Original author
Deest
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,176
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK guys, I've read some posts here saying one should be doing 250-350km per week. Well for me that is never going to happen because I just can't get out during the week too often. But I do manage a couple of indoor sessions on the wind trainer per week.

    So my question is what is the equivalent road distance for an hour wind trainer session? I know this is almost impossible to answer due to the number of variables but I thought it might be a bit of fun to throw around some ideas. For example I read elsewhere that 40 minutes on the trainer is the equivalent of one hour on the road.

    Any thoughts?

  2. Deest said:


    So my question is what is the equivalent road distance for an hour
    wind trainer session? I know this is almost impossible to answer due to
    the number of variables but I thought it might be a bit of fun to throw
    around some ideas. For example I read elsewhere that 40 minutes on the
    trainer is the equivalent of one hour on the road.

    Yeah, heard that too. Don't know the answer, I think it 'depends'.

    My biggest problem is dealing with the boredom...I can thrash myself on
    the road, there's always someone to chase down or a PB to beat.

    This is from my favourite bike training site. Worth reading (and his
    other stuff too)

    http://www.cptips.com/stacyc.htm

    --
    ..dt
    1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)
    2004 Trek 2300 Roadie (9spd Ultegra)
    2003 DiamondBack 'Criterium' Roadie (8spd Sora, rain bike)

  3. Deest said:

    OK guys, I've read some posts here saying one should be doing 250-350km
    per week. Well for me that is never going to happen because I just
    can't get out during the week too often. But I do manage a couple of
    indoor sessions on the wind trainer per week.

    So my question is what is the equivalent road distance for an hour
    wind trainer session? I know this is almost impossible to answer due to
    the number of variables but I thought it might be a bit of fun to throw
    around some ideas. For example I read elsewhere that 40 minutes on the
    trainer is the equivalent of one hour on the road.

    Any thoughts?

    I hate the wind trainer.. Its the most boring thing on the planet.

    Anway I loaned it to the kathy
    to learn how to change gears on

  4. Deest said:

    OK guys, I've read some posts here saying one should be doing 250-350km
    per week. Well for me that is never going to happen because I just
    can't get out during the week too often. But I do manage a couple of
    indoor sessions on the wind trainer per week.

    So my question is what is the equivalent road distance for an hour
    wind trainer session? I know this is almost impossible to answer due to
    the number of variables but I thought it might be a bit of fun to throw
    around some ideas. For example I read elsewhere that 40 minutes on the
    trainer is the equivalent of one hour on the road.

    There isn't really a distance, but then, distance isn't how you
    best get a measure on your training - it's about time and intensity
    levels (and recovery!).

    The way to make wind trainers not boring (!) is to have a plan,
    I'd almost never suggest doing E1 work on a spinner, it's just
    too boring, but for short, high intensity stuff, they're ideal.
    You don't get a chance to get bored.

  5. I work 70-80 hours a week and still manage to put in 250km plus change
    on the road every week. I also run 20km a week.

    Not that any of this answers your question......

  6. ...and... and.... and I like pink ponies!

    cheers,
    GPL

  7. D said:

    I work 70-80 hours a week and still manage to put in 250km plus change
    on the road every week. I also run 20km a week.

    Not that any of this answers your question......

    Yes but I have a girlfriend 🙂

  8. "D" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I work 70-80 hours a week and still manage to put in 250km plus change
    on the road every week. I also run 20km a week.

    You obviously don't have children then!

    Bruce(enjoy it while you can)A

  9. That's nice. I have a fiance.

  10. wouldn't it be far better to do laps of the local neighbourhood (where there are no traffic lights etc), than sit on a air trainer?

    At least you can manage a short climb as well as nailing 90degree & 180 corners.

  11. D said:

    That's nice. I have a fiance.

    Ummmmm. And you are doing 250 klicks and 80 hours work. THen what
    exactly are you cutting down on? Or has the magic already gone 🙁

  12. D said:

    That's nice. I have a fiance.

    Reminds me of something funny.

    A friend of mine had some bumper stickers made up that said

    No valuables or cash carried on board.
    I'm married

    Zoom

    (I know I know, I shouldn't drink red wine when I'm on the newsgroup. I
    did go for a two hour mountain bike ride this arvo in the drizzling rain
    and gale force winds, AND got lost, so it wasn't a completely wasted
    day. One of our riders is flying to the sunny city of Melbourne in a few
    days time to compete in the wood chopping at the Royal Show. Say hello
    to Rob Simms if you're there.)

  13. Well, she rides with me most of the time, and works similar hours.

    Besides, it's not that hard to put in 50km a day in the morning between
    6am -7:20am. Then I ride to work. Run or swim at lunch. Then I ride
    home. I usually get home eight-ish.

  14. I haven't been on an air trainer for 5 years. My old cycling coach told
    me that a air trainer works the wrong muscles in your legs (less quads,
    more hamstring).

  15. D said:

    Well, she rides with me most of the time, and works similar hours.

    OK that works.. Has she got a sister? Kathy keeps crashing.

    Quoted message said:


    Besides, it's not that hard to put in 50km a day in the morning between
    6am -7:20am. Then I ride to work. Run or swim at lunch. Then I ride
    home. I usually get home eight-ish.

    I finally have a job where I dont have to get up at 5 I am bloody well
    going to enjoy it 🙂

    Quoted message said:
  16. "D" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, she rides with me most of the time, and works similar hours.

    Besides, it's not that hard to put in 50km a day in the morning between
    6am -7:20am. Then I ride to work. Run or swim at lunch. Then I ride
    home. I usually get home eight-ish.

    But that doesn't quite give you 60-80 hours work a week, unless you work a
    full 7 days. AFAIK, 40-50 hours of work is more than enough.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.