How much benefit can be gained by running

PartisanRanger said:
Well I'm just speaking from my experience and what I've heard most others say. Can anyone comment on what muscle groups are used in cycling vs. running and how this affects cross-training?
From an experience standpoint, they appear to be quite different. In the past, I ran more during the winter and then some in bike season (1-2X per week). This year, though, I've only been running about once a month to get more bike time in. Each time I've run, my legs have been quite sore in the following couple of days. And I'm in excellent riding shape. It's amazing how little muscle overlap there appears to be. Unless it's the running impact that's causing the soreness? :confused:

typ993 said:
. Each time I've run, my legs have been quite sore in the following couple of days. And I'm in excellent riding shape. It's amazing how little muscle overlap there appears to be. Unless it's the running impact that's causing the soreness? :confused:
I know the feeling. Especially in the calf muscles!

I'm about to go on Holiday and will be runing instead of cycling. Haven't run for a month and you guys have reminded me how much my calfs are going to hurt. Must remember to run once a week in future.

mikesbytes said:
I'm about to go on Holiday and will be runing instead of cycling. Haven't run for a month and you guys have reminded me how much my calfs are going to hurt. Must remember to run once a week in future.
Run a couple days a week at least if you can. As said before, running will assist your cycling aerobically. However, it impacts muscles quite differently and running is a weight bearing exercise while cycling is not, so your body will get a bit more punishment. I found when I did both while I was really fit that I broke down more muscle on my legs with the running. But if that's all you are doing while on holiday, I'd bump it up more than once a week and try to run some hills if you can to maintain your strength. Also look at your nutrition and consider adding a bit more protein if you think you'll be breaking down more muscle along the way.